Homegate Wireless Serial Port RS232 Adapter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wensky, Jun 10, 2008.

1. wensky

wensky

just wondering if anyone has had any luck using a moxa style serial to wireless adapter to a PC Interface (5500PC)
    As i plan to run homegate & tool kit via a laptop with wifi
    im open to any other sugestions or ideas anyone may have

wensky, Jun 10, 2008
  2. wensky

Mr Mark

You can use the Clipsal Network Interface (Part Number 5500CN) instead of the PC Interface. Couple this with the wireless access point and you should get the connectivity you are after.

Regards,

Mark

Mr Mark, Jun 10, 2008
  3. wensky

wensky

PCI v CNI

Thanks that sounds like just what i need but i heard that the pc interface was a lot faster & stable than the cni is that true?

wensky, Jun 10, 2008
  4. wensky

paulw11

The CNI is basically Lantronix embedded terminal server connected to a serial PCI in a single housing.

Lantronix is probably the biggest and most well known producer of embedded serial terminal servers in the world. Their products are very reliable.

Any speed limitation will come from the speed of C-Bus rather than the terminal server or ethernet.

I use a CNI in my home and haven't had any problems with reliability or speed. Ashleigh has also stated that there are CNIs operating in many commercial/industrial C-Bus installs where the CNI has been running for many years without any problems.

C-Gate supports the CNI directly without the use of any virtual serial port re-director software so it is likely to be more reliable than a virtual serial port solution.

Regards,
    Paul

paulw11, Jun 11, 2008
Ask a Question