Homegate Use

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by GlenF, Nov 30, 2015.

1. GlenF

GlenF

Hi all,

I have just been thinking about putting something on my desktop to control the C-Bus network elements. I have done a bit of research and was just wanting to confirm a few things or seek some advice on the best approach.

I have had a look at Homegate and there are a few things that concern me:

* Is it really $500 plus for a software dongle?
    * Does the fact it has not had an update for more than 2 years mean it is rarely used or about to be unsupported.
    * Is there a more cost effective way to effectively have a "soft" light switch on my desktop?

PS - I have a 5500CN plugged in to access the network, a B&W touchscreen with logic that schedules events.

Thanks
    Glen

GlenF, Nov 30, 2015
  2. GlenF

tsman

Yes.

I've not heard anything about it being discontinued. It is basically feature complete right now so any changes are mostly bugfixes. The HomeGate software is what runs inside a CTC colour touchscreen. CTC firmware changes vs HomeGate changes.

The Wiser 2 is popular as it allows web + mobile device access and has a built-in CNI as well so you can recoup some of the cost by selling your 5500CN CNI. It doesn't allow fully custom screens to be made like on HomeGate or a touchscreen though. It works via defining a list of control widgets and pages. You can't position widgets like on a touchscreen.

The C-Bus protocol has been published so if you're proficient in software development then you could make a UI to control groups.

tsman, Nov 30, 2015
  3. GlenF

GlenF

Thanks TSman

GlenF, Nov 30, 2015
  4. GlenF

znelbok

I use another product similar to homegate that give me access to the C-Bus network, but also allows integration of nearly every other system to create a single interface to the whole house.

Mick

znelbok, Dec 2, 2015
  5. GlenF

GlenF

Hi Mick,

Are you able to provide details?

Glen

GlenF, Dec 4, 2015
  6. GlenF

znelbok

I use Charmed Quarks CQC (from about 2005) and its continually evolving. Now has Amazon Echo support to allow voice control (so you can turn your lights on like in star trek).

Why I went with it over homegate (and I tested out homegate too) was that it integrated everything in the house into a seamless system.

There is a thread here about IFTTT, well using CQC I can integrate IFTTT. My light switch can turn on the A/C in that room, shut down the room (lights, TV, fans, audio anything I want).

It runs on a server and has clients, but you can run a server/client in one of you choose.

iOS and Android app available as well.

Mick

znelbok, Dec 6, 2015
Ask a Question