Home Gate intermittent connection

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by dsamson, Oct 20, 2006.

1. dsamson

dsamson

Hi,

I am servicing an old C-Bus network (about 6 yo with those big and ugly 4 channel dimmers and relays) which is linked to a PC with HomeGate v3.3.
    There are 7 networks, star connected with network bridges all back to the PC.
    Every now and then the PC is loosing the communication with the network. Several minutes later, the system is back on line.
    As I said the system is old, the PC interface and the Network bridges are old type (the big and ugly ones).
    I also find the system very slow with the toolkit. To scan 1 network with 50 units using the same PC (same PC interface) through a network bridge it takes more than 5 minutes.

Can somebody help me with some hints? Where should i look for the fault.
    Please have a look at the attached review.
    The review is much longer. I've just scanned only one page. You will see all the error messages.
    What's interesting, the review is telling me that there are some unit address conflicts, but they don't come up when i scan the network with toolkit.

Thank you very much.
    Daniel

Attached Files:

dsamson, Oct 20, 2006
  2. dsamson

Darren Senior Member

The first thing you need to do is to change some of your logging options. Switch off the "csv" option - this is only needed if you are putting the log into a spreadsheet or database.

You also need to switch on the C-Bus and C-Gate messages options. If you can capture this problem happening and send the log into tech support, they should be able to provide some specific advice. It would also be beneficial to activate the C-Gate log at the same time so that you have logs from both HomeGate and C-Gate for the duration of the failure.

Darren, Oct 23, 2006
  3. dsamson

Nathan

same issue

Im having the same issue as above with the network dropping every now and then.
    I found a return loop in the cbus wiring but it has sped up the scanning but still i get the drop out the Pc is a HP brand new from the client but I feel that there could be a corrupt unit is this possible for these errors.

Cheers

Nathan, Jan 19, 2007
  4. dsamson

Phil.H

Having been around for a 100 years or more I have had similar problems with "old" C-Bus installs. It sounds like you have dodgey comms. The problem is dodgey comms can be caused by many things in old installs. Poor joints, moisture in 5751 (external PIRS) and the big one being noisy / ****ty (thank you v Bulletin) power supplies. Go back to the basics, isolate sections of the network until you find a section or unit that is causing problems. Old C-Bus installs can be as reliable as ones commissioned yesterday, however, every now and again a unit or termination can cause you grief. Hunt it down and eliminate it with extreme prejudice ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
    Phil.H, Jan 20, 2007
  5. dsamson

Nathan

Phil
    feel like a trip up the coast?
    Its a brand new install that Local Clipsal reps have called me in to have a look.
    Ive started to replace dimmers checked the network at every switch and PIR 32 of them. Still working on it but the network connects fine most times then it drops out with error syn network 1 of 32 etc.
    The Pc running homegate is connected via an Eithernet interface new Hp and also tried my laptop with similar dropouts.
    Should I continue to replace the relays / dimmers? Ive tested the voltage 15vdc each side equal to earth the network has 6 relays / dimmers all with power supplies currently 31vdc. There is a bridge I have added but the network was dropping out before I installed that. When I originally inherited the site I found a return loop on the bus fixed that then the network worked quicker on scans but still intermitant drop outs occur all the relay / dimmers had no earths connected. I wiil check the external pirs again as they are the only external input units. Anything else I should check before I send you out a coastal vacation Phil?:confused:

Nathan, Jan 21, 2007
  6. dsamson

PSC

Dr Phil

Can you give us an idea of the size of the installation i.e number of networks, number of units per network etc.

Anyway, what would PhilH know about really really weird, unexplainable problems with HomeGate / Schedule Plus??? :eek:

It's all theory Phil, or guess work! :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
    PSC, Jan 21, 2007
  7. dsamson

Nathan

The Network im concerned about local (250) is 32 units 3 dimm, 3 rel 1dlt, 2ext pir, 1 cni, 1 bwctouch, 1 x ness cbus panel, 1 x network bridge other input units are classic 1 2and 4 gang.
    When Viewing the network status in homegate most times it syns fine but some times it stops and the connection drops plus you get the message error last sync with unit 2 of 33.
    When i view the other network (254) log it also drops out in homegate with the same issue.
    The log in cgate shows something like oprhaned response from group unit 1 network 254 then this will repeat ever hour or so with different units and networks etc.
    I am slowly disconnecting each dim and relay at a time but its very slow as the dropout is only every now and then.:confused:

Nathan, Jan 21, 2007
  8. dsamson

Phil.H

Nathan,

One of the first things I would be looking at is the Ethernet network - is it dedicated to the C-Bus install or is it part of the building network. How often does the network go down ? How long does it stay down ? How do you get it back up or does it recover on its own ??? Have you tried connecting via a PCI - if so any problems via this method???

One thing is for sure, I know you aren't doing weird things with your network comms like some others insist on doing at times. You whistle and I will point at my old mate PSC :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
    Phil.H, Jan 21, 2007
  9. dsamson

Nathan

Phil

The Network Interface connects to a netgear router there is a seperat netgear adsl modem and the only other device is the homegate PC I restored it to scratch to try and rule it out. There is no firewall on or virus protection. Yes it is the same network I am having trouble on the other house runs fine but show it its network state error sync 1 of 32 on the problamatic network only. It does eventually reconnect but it is very slow after it drops out before it reconnects. I have replaced the CNI but will try the laptop I have wil a PCI and see if it still drops on to rule out the network and CNI.
    Regards

Nathan, Jan 21, 2007
  10. dsamson

Phil.H

Nathan,

Try the PCI option first. If you get it connected easily this is a quick way of finding out which area to start looking. Will half your options. If you still have problems with the PCI or even if you find the problem is CNI / Ethernet associated you will need to have Homegate and C-Gate logs running to see what happens just prior to the network going off line. Changing gear without really knowing what is going on is too hit and miss. The other problem can be changing a few things at once and not really knowing what the culprit was. The fault finding process mentioned above might take some time but it is easy once you get the feel and it is always good to ID a problem accurately then get out your favourite hammer ;)

Phil.H, Jan 21, 2007
  11. dsamson

PSC

Nathan,

Check the number of clocks enabled, check the burden with a C-Bus network analyser, check C-Bus voltage for over and under voltage and compare it with the C-Bus calculator.

I know that these sound like basic suggestions but I have found (along with DrPhil) on larger multi-network installations it doesn't take much for a network to drop off-line.

Are you using software burdens or hardware burdens?

PSC, Jan 21, 2007
  12. dsamson

Nathan

Those were the first things I checked
    2 clocks 1 x Hardware burden currently on the network
    What does the orphaned command line mean in cgate should I be concerned about this.
    I have I feeling that the Network Interface is also affecting the remote desktop connection that i am having but that is another seperate problem.
    Voltage is 30vdc at the relays/dimmers (they all have PS 6 in total) Could a overvoltage due to to many power supplies cause problems should I replace some with non ps.

Nathan, Jan 21, 2007
  13. dsamson

PSC

Nathan,

If you only have 32 units on the network why is C-Gate reporting 33???

Go through line by line in toolkit to see if there are no double up's in the DB.

Other than that, if you are happy with the NETWORK programming, delete all units in the DB view and then do a transfer from Network > Database.

PSC, Jan 21, 2007
  14. dsamson

PSC

One burden should be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to experiement with 2 or 0 depending on the length of your cable runs.

Yes overvoltage can cause comms errors, but not at the levels that you have on your network. Your supply is 1200mA and you are only consuming approx 500mA; this should not be a problem for you.

PSC, Jan 21, 2007
  15. dsamson

Nathan

sorry there is only 32 units that was a typo
    Ive had a PCI connected for over a hour now with no drop out
    The Pc connected through the CNI just dropped out could the CNI be getting drop outs from the router?

Nathan, Jan 21, 2007
  16. dsamson

PSC

Maybe it would be worth while connecting via a different switch / router?

PSC, Jan 21, 2007
  17. dsamson

rhamer

How can you overvoltage a network using the correct power supplies?

My understanding (which could be wrong of course) was the number of power supplies limit was to stop the combined current delivery of all the power supplies melting the pink cable, rather than shutting down due to over current should there be a short.

Of course there is the issue of the output impedance of the power supply and the overall effect of stacking too many together, but I can't see how overvoltage could be an issue.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jan 22, 2007
  18. dsamson

Nathan

further to my frustration I have found the following
    The network Interface is not allowing the remote desktop connection with this certain model of dlink router. next door has the same set up but different router a much higher end dlink one with no problems.
    I have replaced the Pc connection via a PCI which fixed the remote desktop issue.
    Was still having netwok drop outs with home gate but has isolated it down to either one dimmer or removing the dimmer leaving one less power supply. I only have a ps dimmer with me so I wll try it first if it works then faulty dimmer if not to many power supplies together maybe?

Nathan, Jan 22, 2007
  19. dsamson

Phil.H

6 by powered output units should not equate to "too much" power. There is however 6 times the chance for power supply filter circuitry to be faulty. Keep in mind C-Bus power and comms is on the same wires it only takes one tiny fault in a component associated with the powersupply etc to make comms issues. You might just have a dimmer with a minor fault. Let us know if the replacement dimmer with the PS works OK...

Phil.H, Jan 22, 2007
  20. dsamson

Nathan

Bingo (touchwood)
    Thanks for everyones help.
    The Dimmer must have been the problem replaced it with a new one with PS that has been running now with no dropouts :mad:
    Is there away with a crow to find the dimmer next time that is causing itermitent issues?
    With relation to the orhpaned group line commands does anyone know what this means?
    Can someone to me where do I send the Invoice for the work in regards to finding the fault, China or adelaide?:)

Nathan, Jan 22, 2007
Ask a Question