Hi I am another newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by roundhouse, Aug 15, 2007.

1. roundhouse

paulw11

yes

In addition to the module that Bill mentioned, you can record 8 custom sounds into the M1, but this is done using the telephone line, so isn't exactly hi-fi!

Paul

paulw11, Aug 21, 2007
  2. roundhouse

roundhouse

Great -now all I have to do is find is a dog that can make a telephone call :D

roundhouse, Aug 21, 2007
  3. roundhouse

tobex

Ha.

tobex, Aug 21, 2007
  4. roundhouse

roundhouse

OK -So I am ticking off some questions that would be appropriate to this house. Yes it is intented to have bells and wistles as far as HA goes but I personally believe that automation is good automation when you dont really know you are having it -kind of like ABS breaking or Clayton's
    So my questions mighr be ho -hum but remember I have been out of this loop for a long time :D
    Now just to show you all how ignorant I am I was wondering about lighting circuits. Is it good policy to break an installation up into many circuits just to get added reliability?
    Again when it comes to LV power supplies -Is it suggested that these all come from the same power circuit?

roundhouse, Aug 21, 2007
  5. roundhouse

Darpa

As long as you stay within the ratings of the dimmers/relays, and account for transformer loss in working out those ratings, then there is no reason why you cant have several lights running off a single circuit. I'm not really sure that splitting the loads up into dimmerent channels on a dimmer would provide much additional redundancy or reliability, unless of course you have very little faith in the quality of C-Bus components :p

Darpa, Aug 22, 2007
  6. roundhouse

tobex

There are many answers to this question.

Do you put each Cbus dimmer output module (4 way, 8way) on its own circuit breaker ? Do you isolate each level from other levels ?

As far as I am concerned I isolate as follows - but that may not apply to lights. It may only apply to power points.

- master bedroom
    - bedrooms
    - attic
    - main living areas
    - pool area
    - kitchen
    - laundry
    - emergency lighting
    - power to roller door and solenoid driven locks with UPS

I have to admit that when the old modules were in production it was a lot easier because the current loadings and outputs were easily managed in lots of 4 at 10A. With 8 and 12 outputs per module you need to think about designated zones in larger groups.

The problems are usually with power points and faulty devices rather than lights. You can be less fussy with lights and still maintain a high degree of safety. Isolating power points generally leads to more control over problems.

If you are instead referring to groups such as moods or scenes then it comes down to the fine art of HA design.

tobex, Aug 22, 2007
Ask a Question