Help with Timer functions for lights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bigdave, May 2, 2020.

1. Bigdave

Bigdave

Hi all.

I am an IT guy who put C-Bus in my house 10 years ago, made it go then left it. covid has sparked my interest.

I dusted off some old bits I never put in and I am stuck on how to do a couple of seemingly simple things that I just can't work out.

Problem One and Two

I had Cbus cable in my pantry and it has a light. I normally control the light from a Saturn or DLT which are in the kitchen.

I put the a Bus Coupler in (2 channel firmware 1.2.67), and linked it to a Magnet Reed switch which has Open and Closed. Hooked it all up and it works well on one door. When I open ligth comes on, when closed it goes off. What I cannot work out is how to have it come on when Open and then go off after a set time.

I have mucked around endlessly and in the channel and block functions and I just cannot work it out. it is killing me. The best I get is when I open the door the light goes for a millisecond (probably a bit more) and then goes off. Please help me.

2nd thing is wiring the reed switches (I have two but only hooked up one) so that the light goes on when I open either door and then only off when both are closed (or the timer that one of you genius's is going to help me with)

Problem Three

I have my laundry, it has a light and exhaust fan. I want to have the Fan auto turn off after say 2 hours. again, I can't work the timers out.

Please help

Bigdave, May 2, 2020
  2. Bigdave

Ashley

On the open side on Short Press select ON. On long press select Start Timer. Set the timer time and the expiry function to OFF.

This depends on whether the reed relays are closed when the door is closed, or open when the door is closed.
    If the reed is closed when the door is closed, install a reed on each door and wire them in series back to a single input of the bus coupler

If the reed switches are open when the door is closed, install a reed on each door and wire them in parallel back to a single input of the bus coupler

This is called a run on timer. Just search for that. Come back if you can't figure it out. I generally use a logic device for this as it's much easier.

Ashley, May 2, 2020
    Bigdave likes this.
  3. Bigdave

Bigdave

I was hopnig someone would reply. You made my morning.

On the open side on Short Press select ON. On long press select Start Timer. Set the timer time and the expiry function to OFF.

This worked.

Laundry Fan, found the block macro timers in the help and now understand. this also worked.

The wiring, I bought two of these https://www.jaycar.com.au/security-alarm-reed-switch-double-throw/p/LA5070

They have a NO NC and Common.

So I can do it any way (that you recommend) what is the best way to do it?

Bigdave, May 2, 2020
  4. Bigdave

Ashley

Generall I wire them in series as it's easier and tidier, but given you have already programmed the open logic for one way, just stick to that.

Ashley, May 2, 2020
  5. Bigdave

Ashley

I assume you have it working so that when you open one door the light goes on and the time starts. I also assume with 2 doors you want the light to go on when either door is open and off when both are closed (or the timer expires).

So in this case the reeds will be connected in parallel and will work with the existing programming.

I assume (lots of assumptions here :)) that you currently have one lead from the bus coupler going to the COM of the reed, and the second lead of the bus coupler going to the NC of the reed. All you need to do is to connect the second reed in the same way. i.e. join the COM of the second reed to the COM of the first and the NC of the second reed to the NC of the first. This way when either doo is open, a reed will close and trigger the Short Press, and only when both doors are closed will you get the Long Release.

Ashley, May 4, 2020
  6. Bigdave

wilma288

Hi there this is how I managed to do it on one of my projects
    Hope this helps
    Cheers Mark upload_2020-5-7_14-1-33.png upload_2020-5-7_14-2-14.png

wilma288, May 7, 2020
  7. Bigdave

Bigdave

I have come back around to this.

I have a 5102BCLEDL

I have it wired in 1 and C.

I have the magnetic read switches both going back to 1 and C. The NC wire to 1 and the Common wire to C
    the NO is not wired

I have the coupler set up as follows buscoupler.png

When I have the magnets on the Read switches. It only works when i use one magnet on one of the read switches. It completely ignores anything I do on the 2nd one.

Is this wiring? or is it something I don't understand?

Bigdave, Aug 27, 2020
  8. Bigdave

Bigdave

I removed the short release and got what I needed.

thanks for all. It is cooking now.

Bigdave, Aug 29, 2020
Ask a Question