Help with Relay Control of DC Curtain Motors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ha_kiwi, Feb 23, 2010.

1. ha_kiwi

ha_kiwi

I have some curtain motors that use DC 12 volts to operate when you apply power they move in one direction when you disconnect the power the next time you apply the power they motor moves the opposite direction. In other word you really send an off then an on is ther any cbus products that will allow me to do this
    Thanks David

ha_kiwi, Feb 23, 2010
  2. ha_kiwi

Newman

Given that you have used almost no punctuation in your post, I can only guess at what you actually mean. Here's my best guess:
    So in summary:

• The motor runs in one direction as long as it has 12V power.
    • The motor stops when 12V is disconnected.
    • The next time 12V power is connected, the motor runs in the opposite direction.
    • The polarity of the 12V connection is always the same.
    • The motor contains a controller that internally reverses the motor each time 12V is connected.
    Is that right?

If so, then the first question to ask is if the system has limit switches that automatically stop the motor at the ends of the travel? If so, then we can proceed. If not, then the system isn't really very safe and I'd be looking at alternatives.

Assuming you have limit switches then you can just pass the 12V power through a regular C-Bus Relay unit.

The last bit is to program the corresponding Key Input unit to get the desired behaviour, but you'll need to explain how you want the button on the key input unit to work.
    - Do you want the button to fully open and close the blinds each time you press it?; or
    - Do you want the button to make the blinds move whilst you're holding it down and stop as soon as you release it?; or
    - Do you want the blinds to run for only a few seconds each time you press the button?

If you can have a think about how you want the button to work we can probably come up with a way to program the Key Input unit to get what you want.

Newman, Feb 23, 2010
  3. ha_kiwi

boganbill

You'll need to find and remove the small switching relay either hidden in the blind motors or somewhere on the switch board that is causing it to behave like this, remove it and hook up the +/- to a normal cbus shutter relay which will for dc motors, behave the same way (polarity one way moves, when reversed polatiry moves opposite, pause no supply like all DC motors) If you can't find it or hear it you can use another small relay in series to nullify the first. There are plenty of relays that can do this.

I hate using strange blind motors that use their own relays/don't work with cbus shutter relays. Motors like yours it seems, and being 12v is kinda strange too. Most are 24v.

Many companies make little relays and 'hacks' that enable them to work with clipsal shutter relays. Ring the blind manufacturer.

Or just hook it up to any channel on a normal 12/8 chan cbus relay and just have the blind button being a 'bell press', bit crap, but will work as a simple toggle.

boganbill, Feb 24, 2010
Ask a Question