Help with basics of Cbus setup

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Cg888, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Cg888

Cg888

Hi Guys

Finally managed to pick up some pc interfaces, serial.

Can anyone give me a crash course on connecting to the cbus and using the toolkit to tweak.

Any reference guides or online help/tutorials would be great.

Many thanks

Cg888, Sep 14, 2018
  2. Cg888

DarylMc

If you use Google you should be to find the installation instructions for each CBus unit you have.
    The installation instructions have quite a bit of info on how to install.

You can search Google again for "CBus Basic Training Manual"
    That will further explain some CBus concepts and introduce CBus Toolkit Software.

Once installed CBus Toolkit program has extensive help files which are well worth reading and using.
    https://www.clipsal.com/Trade/Support/Software

DarylMc, Sep 15, 2018
  3. Cg888

Cg888

Thanks DarylMc

Stupid question here, I take it a rs232/usb cable is ok to use for the pc connection?

Cheers

Cg888, Sep 15, 2018
  4. Cg888

DarylMc

DarylMc, Sep 15, 2018
  5. Cg888

Mr Fun

6. Cg888

KCW

KCW, Sep 17, 2018
  7. Cg888

Cg888

Great thanks. Got a FTDI cable, so linked into the cbus np. Scanned the system and found the project. Do I have to create a new project, as it is asking me to do so as I don’t have the original one done by the installer? It is possible to alter the one or copy the one already on the network.

I don’t want to change the world, but just rename some of the labels and adjust some or allocate so buttons on the panels.

Anyone here located in the uk, or would maybe remote in to help sort.

Thanks.

Cg888, Sep 18, 2018
  8. Cg888

Ashley

Not having the original project does make for more work. Start by creating a new project as prompted then scan the network. Toolkit will create a new project file for you which will included all units found on the network. The problem is that group names are only stored in the project file not on the network so you will see names like Group1, Group2 etc rather than identifiable circuits. You then need to identify each group so you can enter a proper name. You can either go around the house activating each light and seeing which group changes in toolkit, or activated each group in toolkit and see which light responds. It's a bit time consuming but you only have to do it once (assuming you then back up the project :) ).

Ashley, Sep 19, 2018
    zei20t likes this.
  9. Cg888

Cg888

Hi Ashley

Thank you for your advice as always. I take it there is not way to retrieve the original project apart from asking the original installer. I don’t think he would release it always.

If I create a new project will the original project on the network remain in place. Am I right in assuming that the new project is copied onto the network only when complete thus overwriting the old one.

Also I take it at every individual light or function circuit has its own group and by grouping groups together these then create a scene.

Thanks

Noel

Cg888, Sep 19, 2018
  10. Cg888

Ashley

Correct. I'm not sure why installers are reluctant to give out the project file. Some do. Some don't .Worth asking though.

The project you create will be copied from the network. When you modify the network with toolkit, only the bits you modify will be written to the network.

Basically yes. A group is equivalent to a traditional circuit. Everything with the same group address is effectively connected together. So if you have say 3 switches and 2 lights with the same group address, operating any of the 3 switches will control both lights, and the indicators on each switch will follow each other. A scene is just a collection of groups.

Ashley, Sep 19, 2018
  11. Cg888

Mr Fun

Hi Ashley, so does this mean that when you create a new project you are effective modify the one currently on the network? Or do you mean the new project is a blank canvas to build on top of the old.

At this stage I am looking to just change the labels on my dlt panels and then to progress from there.

One of my panel LCD displays is very dim and would to adjust it too. If the LCD is done, I was going to swap it will another on the network and copy the functions across, but this is probably a bit further down the line.

Thanks again

Mr Fun, Sep 19, 2018
  12. Cg888

Ashley

So the steps are:
    1/ Create a new project from PROJECT/ADD PROJECT
    2/ It will ask you if you want to add a network. Say YES, then call it Local, then select your interface.
    3/You new network will appear in the left hand tree view.
    4/ Expand the Project and the Network branches. Click on Units(0).
    5/The main area will show you and empty database and network.
    6/ Click the SCAN button on the network header. You should see the units being loaded as the scan progresses.
    7/ When finished, select any unit, then click on the little arrow beside the ADD/TRANSFER TO DB button, and select ALL TO DATABASE.
    8/ You now have created your database.
    9/ Expand the Application branch in the left tree view, then expand Lighting and select it.
    10/ You will see a list of all the lighting groups.
    11/ Go push a button somewhere. The display will show the group turned on and the unit (switch) that did it.
    12/ change to group name to whatever it does.
    13/ Repeat 11 and 12.
    14/ You can also turn the groups on and off from the buttons in toolkit and see which lights work
    13/ The unit should have a recognisable name. If not, you can select the units branch, the double click on the unit to edit it.

Once you have done this, you have an accurate database and can start changing things. Don't forget to back it up.

Ashley, Sep 19, 2018
  13. Cg888

Dan

Happy to help Cg888, please PM me.

Dan, Sep 19, 2018
  14. Cg888

NickD Moderator

Just in case.... If your installation happens to have a Colour Touchscreen, then the full project is stored in there. You can retrieve it with the PICED software.

Nick

NickD, Sep 20, 2018
  15. Cg888

Cg888

Just waiting to see if the installer is going to send me the original first. No touchscreen Nick, so it looks like a new project.

Cg888, Sep 20, 2018
  16. Cg888

Damaxx

Excuse the slightly off topic post here - Could the engineers add some storage to the the most common item on a cbus network for storage of config files? Perhaps any unit that has a power supply inbuilt?
    We have similar issues with fire panel config files not being available on site and some fire panel manufacturers are starting to build in memory storage for this exact reason. I understand its not as simple as slapping in a NAND or EMMC chip and Bobs your Auntie, but could it be a future piece of the puzzle?

Damaxx, Sep 25, 2018
    jboer likes this.
  17. Cg888

Cg888

Hi Ashley/Dan

Finally got round to mapping the lights today. Ashley you mentioned that lights could be turned at the switch, but how can I see which group is being enabled in toolkit. I don’t see the group on/off buttons in toolkit toggling. There are some groups that I just cannot find and the installer mapping’s on the panels are shit.

Thanks

Cg888, Sep 26, 2018
  18. Cg888

Cg888

Once I have mapped it all, how do I enable the changes to all the switches and labelling the dlt saturns.

Thanks

Cg888, Sep 26, 2018
  19. Cg888

Ashley

Select the lighting application in the left hand tree view. The main view will then show you all the lighting groups, their current level, and the last unit to set them.

Sorry, not sure what you mean by this.

Good question. I've no idea how to read back the labels from the network, or even if you can. Hopefully someone else may know.

Ashley, Sep 27, 2018
  20. Cg888

Mr Fun

Ashley.

Have found a way to locate the last remaining groups. How do I change or update the labels on the displays that are currently in the Saturn's.

Mr Fun, Sep 27, 2018
Ask a Question