Help with a Thermostat installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2SC, Sep 6, 2010.

1. 2SC

pgordon

Thanks

I think I'd more or less arrived at that conclusion, since no matter how much I poked around in toolkit, I could see no way to set a lighting group to remote control the thermostat unit...

I'll have to think a little about how best to manage that - in terms of integrating it into my overall HA system, which as well as CBUS is based on Comfort and Homeseer... those other parts really only work with the lighting app... (a limitation of the CBUS-Comfort interface) So in order to be able to monitor the current state of the stat (and therefore the heating system), I really need to be able to monitor a lighting group... - time for adding a bit of code to Wiser methinks... - since I already want to be able to get a couple of other bits of info from the stat into group levels (setpoint, & measured temp mainly), which I think already means I'll be having to do some coding there...

Anyone already done this? - anyone got any code examples showing how to get:
    Current temperature
    Temperature setpoint
    Thermostat on/off status
    all into lighting group / levels?

That really would be the icing on the cake...

Cheers,

Paul G.

pgordon, Dec 16, 2010
  2. 2SC

ashleigh Moderator

Hmm. Sorry about this, I've been on holiday and only just seen this. It's also about 18 months since I last looked at the thermostat and its use from TK.

I had thought the control for overall on/off of it could be done from a separate lighting app (or enable control app). Look like I might have got that wrong.

If you have a solution thats working now, then go for it.

Remember though that your key switch is talking in application $AC and controlling the stat, not the final boiler relay directly. Then all will be sweeeeeet.

ashleigh, Dec 17, 2010
  3. 2SC

pgordon

Bah!

rats...

I just found out that my Neo's by my bedside don't support a secondary application... :-( - So I can't assign a button directly to the requisite HVAC zone...

Looks liske I'll have to do something in Wiser akin to using some logic to "transcode" key activations from the lighting app to switching the HVAC zone... I guess that will be pretty straightforward...

Cheers.

Paul G.

pgordon, Dec 17, 2010
  4. 2SC

pgordon

Got it... I just verified that I could assign a button on a Saturn to turn it on/off remotely... got a couple of comments to make regarding a few things I noticed during this process....

PITA that my Neo's don't support secondary application, - so I'm going to have to do some transcoding in logic in Wiser to be able to use the key input units by my bedside to control it... - by any chance does anyone know if this is just a firmware issue in my Neo's? - i.e. might a newer Neo support 2ndary app?

also a PITA - certainly for testing - that you can't turn communication group 1 on/off from toolkit... - I can assign a key on a switch to do it, but can't just do a "set unit on" from toolkit for quick testing...

So, looks like I'll be ready to change the wiring over to CBUS control of the boiler over the Christmas break.... :)

No doubt I'll have just a couple more questions to ask before this excercise is complete, - I have learned a lot so far though!...

Cheers.

Paul G.

pgordon, Dec 17, 2010
  5. 2SC

Newman

Early version Neo's only supported a single application. Anything with firmware verison 1.6.00 supports both a Primary and Secondary application.

Newman, Dec 18, 2010
  6. 2SC

pgordon

Aha, thanks. So I bet you can guess the inevitable next question... :) - are these units still not field-upgradeable? - must I replace with a newer unit?...

Cheers.

Paul G.

pgordon, Dec 20, 2010
  7. 2SC

Newman

No in-field update for this. There is also a hardware difference between 1.4.0 and 1.6.00+ versions.
    Your lowest cost solution is probably to swap it with a similar unit in your house that does support dual applications.

Newman, Dec 20, 2010
Ask a Question