Help with a Thermostat installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2SC, Sep 6, 2010.

1. 2SC

pgordon

Phew, that's a relief

Thanks Ashliegh for the comprehensive replies... (I'm guessing from the times you're not in the UK?)

I think a big part of the problem is caused by lack of information... since I've never had "hands on" with one one of these thermostat units, what little I know is based on the scant details I've picked up here and from some of the CBUS documentation, - but that doesn't go far enough into technical detail of actual operation to answer my very specific queries...

I "get" that the T-stat is a bit more than just a sensor, really I do... I meant to impart that the single zone models (which is all I require) don't also have the time programming functionality, so I'll still need to do that elsewhere..

So if I may, and since you're clearly very familiar with these units, can I just clarify a couple of points?

first a very specific question, - if I change the thermostat unit to use the lighting application does it lose any functionality? - is there anything that I suddenly become unable to do if the stat is set to lighting? (I ask this because it means the difference between using a spare channel I already have on an existing relay module, or forking out much extra wonga for a new relay module to dedicate to the HVAC application; so I need to know exactly what units to order).

Also, just to confirm: it absolutely IS part of the feature set to be able to remotely set the temperature setpoint on the t-stat from other units? - Is this functionality still available if I've changed the stat to the lighting application?

I have a Comfort alarm panel with a CBUS UCM and I do a lot of Comfort-CBUS integration (all lights off when I arm the alarm type stuff). One of the *major* functions I want is to bring the heating into the same regime, so I specifically want to be able to switch the heating on/off in response to alarm panel events. The UCM can only communicate on the lighting aplication (another reason I'd like to change the stat to lighting).

I do also have a Wiser, - I understand this can operate on all the available CBUS applications? - so I'm assuming that if I have to leave well alone & use the HVAC application that I can use Wiser to translate commands between them... so I could for instance have comfort send CBUS a lighting command (since that's all it can do), and the Wiser could use that as a trigger for (say) setting the temperature setpoint to 15 degrees?

I believe that even if the stat is left in the HVAC application, the setback command can still be used from the lighting application yes?, - how far would this go to giving me the the control I need from Comfort? - for instance, is it possible to setback to a specific temperature setpoint, or is it only specified as an offset from the current setpoint? - If I can have comfort send a setback to 2 degrees C (for example) that would probably have the desired effect (making sure the heating is OFF). Similarly, if I have to specify it as an offset, can I use a large offset of (say) 20 degrees - since my setpoint is invariably around the 20-21C level...

The points above re control from Comfort are fairly crucial, since I intend to do my time schedule programming from there - it's the obvious place; - it knows the sunrise/sunset times for my location, it knows if the house is occupied or not, it knows the difference between weekday/weekends, and it even knows about all the public holidays in the UK. (It's also rock-solid reliable, just like CBUS!)

I think I'm a bit happier about going ahead & ordering a t-stat unit now than I was yesterday! (still need to know if I need to order more relays though..)

Today is a classic example of one of the scenarios I want this stuff to improve:

It's Winter here so it's cold! - it's a weekend, so there wouldn't *normally* be anyone up yet, - hence my heating system isn't programmed to come on for about another hour... Yet today I have decided to get up especially early as I have lots to do... - but the house is cold! - I have an 8-way Neo by the side of the bed, - I would dearly love to have been able to reach out from under the duvet & turn the heating on 30 mins before I crawled out...

pgordon, Oct 30, 2010
  2. 2SC

ashleigh Moderator

Stone the b*&(&# crows no! In Oz.

Agreed. There is scarcity of detailed in-the-guts information, although... Firing up and poking around in Toolkit will reveal a great deal, as will reading the TK on-line help. That help, by the way, if printed runs to something like 80 pages... there is a fair bit of info in that. This really should be your reference for this product.

Yes.

Sure...

You won't lose any function. The thermostat will talk to the (external) relays on the lighting application. As my previous post pointed out, the danger you face is that you can then easily and accidentally link other devices to the group address used by the controlling relay. Diagnosis of misbehaviour in this circumstance can be difficult. This is why there is an HVAC Actuator application - it just makes it easier to avoid a stuff-up.

The designers did however recognise the fact that there will be cases where a channel or 2 of an existing relay is needed (to avoid the need to fork out the much extra wonga), and this is why all the plant controly-related bits can be put into lighting if you wish. If you do this just be a little like Elmer Fudd: Vewy vewy careful.

The remote setting of set point can be done irrespective of the application used for the relay control functions. From vague recollection, this remote control capability can be enabled and disabled using Toolkit, its a while since I looked at it, but, as Yoda might say: CONTROL IT YOU CAN.

This should be possible. You want the control-of-the-thermostat major functions to be in lighting also. From memory these can be in lighting or in Enable Control. You want lighting, in this case.

In this case you can choose to turn the thermostat (and thus the whole heating system) on and off by toggling a group in the lighting app (and this would be a DIFFERENT group address to the one used by the thermostat to turn the plant relay on and off - they'd be in the same application but different groups. And thus CAREFUL YOU MUST BE.)

Or you could choose to turn the setback function on and off.

Both of these can be activated using lighting commands.

Setback relaxes the control tolerances. For example, if the setpoint was 21 degrees then in normal operation the thermostat will try to maintain 21 +/- about 0.5 degrees.

If Setback is active, then this might relax to say 21 +/- 5 degrees. The amount of "slop" can be set in Toolkit.

Setback saves energy, for example when you are not home, by allowing things to get cooler than normal or warmer (in summer) than normal without trying to do anything about it. The idea is that the setback range is wide but it can drive the temp to your comfort level in a reasonable time (eg 1/2 hour or so depending on your plant... for under-floor heating, perhaps 3 days!).

Whereas turning the unit completely off will mean that the temperature may fall outside the setback range, and when you come home it will take longer to be comfortable.

Guard is an override which will activate even if the unit is turned off, for example you might set the guard lower bound at 5 or 10 degrees, so heating can activate regardless and stop pipes from freezing. (Or in my case in Australia in summer it could cut in when the inside of the house got to 35 degrees and we're on holiday, reducing the damage done by having a house as a sealed oven for a week.)

Wiser supports the thermostat. It will allow setting the setpoint, turning it on and off, and so on. Wiser does not communicate using the lighting application, it uses another separate application dedicated to HVAC control. This avoids the somewhat grotty work-arounds inherent in trying to do HVAC control using lighting commands :( Doing this uses the wiser HVAC widget, which may well have more junk in it than you need. Such is the way of these things sometimes. (This comes from the thermostat being design to control many different types of installations.)

See above. Yes. you can use lighting commands to flick setback in and out. The AMOUNT of setback can be set in Toolkit. Once set it is static, you cant dynamically change the AMOUNT, you can only dynamically flip setback in and out (aka on and off).

Note however that setback and on/off are separate functions. You can use either or both of them.

This is exactly what you can do.

If the Comfort was running the schedule to turn the stat on and off, then you can use a Neo or any other switch (even an ancient one from the 1990's) to turn the stat on, or the de-activate setback, to get the result you want.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
    ashleigh, Oct 30, 2010
  3. 2SC

pgordon

Excellent...

Thanks Ashliegh, that pretty much ticks all my boxes... I'll go ahead & order a thermostat unit...

My only remaining ponderance now is regarding the Wiser HVAC widget... - as you say, it probably has *way* more stuff in it than I need, - plus if it only works on the HVAC application, then most likely it won't be an option for me anyway, since I'm almost certainly going to use Lighting (yes, I'll be vewy vewy careful!) - my installation is quite straightforward anyway...

So, discounting the HVAC widget, are there other options to get similar levels of functionality? - I can see that it should be childs play to get on/off in the Wiser UI by just switching a lighting group as you've described previously. I also assume it's quite trivial to pick up the temperature broadcasts from the t-stat & display that on the Wiser UI, - but what about changing the setpoint? (I could live without that function if I had to TBH, would be nice though!)

Here in the UK, heating systems tend in the main to be quite primitive, "most" houses only have heating and no cooling, and "most" of these heating systems tend to be quite basic. Hence most of our installers also tend to be quite backwards in their attitude to automation... the electrician fitting the supplied controls (thermostat & timer) started doing sharp intakes of breath when I tried to tell him how (& why) I wanted the wiring done in a certain way so that I could get at it later to modify it... (and muttering about voiding the warranty)...

The response in my house is fairly quick, - typically only about 30-60 mins to come up from cold to a comfy 20-ish degrees - depending on how cold it is to start with. The house is also quite old & very "leaky" internally, so zoning is a pointless endeavour.

pgordon, Oct 30, 2010
  4. 2SC

ashleigh Moderator

No no no!!

My bad!

The thermostat talks on lots of applications. Some you can configure, some you can't. The HVAC application is dedicated and allows the thermostats to do much cutely stuff, talk amongst themselves, talk to the Wiser widget, talk to touchscreens, and so on.

The language they talk in HVAC land is dedicated and you can't fiddle about in there.

The use of things like lighting for CONTROL of the thermostat is a grotty hack. Its done so you can use the other gear to get a BASIC result - ie turn certain features and things on and off.

The thermostat talks on the HVAC application always, and then:

- for CONTROL OF THE RELAYS: HVAC ACTUATOR or lighting
    - being controlled itself: lighting or enable control

And there's probably one or two more I've forgotten.

The point is, the wiser widget *should* just work.

My point about it doing more than you want is that it caters for things like heating, cooling, fan speeds, and a bit more yada yada, some of which may not be relevant to your particular installation. It should nevertheless WORK.

ashleigh, Oct 30, 2010
  5. 2SC

KevinH

I'm in a similar wanting to implement position to Paul... and have a couple of additional questions if I may...

Is it posssble to get at this 'DEMAND' as an analog value on C-Bus - perhaps as a group level - or via some programming in a touchscreen/Wiser, or is this hidden within the HVAC app ? I could then translate this to a voltage.

My heating is either 'basic' single stage i.e. just a single on/off relay or it can additionally take an analog (0-10V) voltage that the thermostats generate proportional to the demand / temperature shortfall. In a multi thermostat situation these are combinational in some way - maybe the largest just takes precedence. Close to satisfying demand I believe the boiler automatically reduces its flow temperature to maintain status quo. Would these 'smarts' within the boiler that are managing flow temperature reduction be at odds with the internal assesments that the plant controller firmware in the thermostat(s) was making ?

Just to clarify - this is different to another direct 0-10V to my boiler that can be applied to directly modulate it , but I want to stay away from that approach.

I suppose I could just convert the two level demand from the relays into a three step voltage (satisfied | low | high) but that seems rather low tech.

If I did have a C-Bus thermostat with inbuilt relays can I instead abandon those and use external relays , and can this be on a per relay basis , or must I use the non relay model in the first place ?

In a 4 zone arrangement - what is the major difference between having just temp sensors (? is this possible) in the other three zones and a thermostat , aside from the local display and override feature ? Does the main controller separately 'model' each zone within the plant controller or do local thermostats do that - something temp sensors couldn't ?

Can I schedule each zone for temperature and timewise independently such that in the morning I could bring on a bathroom zone before the kitchen ? (Meaning if bathroom was satisfied but kitchen wasn't then boiler wouldn't fire)

Thanks Ashleigh.. I'm going to delve into the Toolkit help too as suggested... a wealth of info seems available for most C-Bus stuff - it's just knowing where to find it as it's not always in the places I think of.

K

KevinH, Oct 30, 2010
  6. 2SC

KevinH

The info in toolkit is most useful :) - it would be good to point users there from the thermostat documentation/pages too... I'll update my above post after digesting it with some answers ... but it also raised some more questions , I hope you'll bear with me..

1) There's isn't any ability for optimised start is there ? - the ability to program a time at which you want the room to reach it's setpoint and the thermostat will switch on a calculated x minutes before that time based on an internal calculation of the estimated time needed to heat the room.

2) Is there any ability to use an exterior temp sensor for weather compensation ? Although maybe the boiler implements that itself directly (makes sense).

3) In a stored hot water system (very common in the UK) the boiler is obviously shared between heating/hot water demand . Is there a way of managing this within the thermostats ?

I don't see any input capability for the hot water temperature (or any sensor offerings) , any separate time management for hot water, any settings for hot water prioritisation or a relay/group output for the diverter valve used to move the flow circulation from hot water to heating ?

If there isn't such a capability and because I need to manage the boiler on/off switching only via the thermostat and not directly, do I therefore have to artifically override any timer programs and raise the setpoints such that the heating will fire, and then reinstate them again each time I have a hot water demand ?

K

KevinH, Oct 30, 2010
  7. 2SC

Phil Summers

Kevin. Most boilers will sort this for you and schedule the diverter valves appropriately. Either if the hot water cylinder is calling for heat the boiler flow will be divided between the cylinder coil and the radiators, or the cylinder will get priority so that the baths and showers don't go cold.

This is all handled within the boiler's "brain" I wouldn't try to mess with the diverter valve controls directly. Apart from being uneccessary, you'll have trouble with the "overrun function" which is when the pump and diverter valve continues to pump water through the boiler after the burner has been shut down to prevent dangerous overpressures in the boiler's heat exchanger.

If you want to schedule when the boiler heats up the hot water cylinder, you could put a relay in series between the cylinder stat and the boiler. Closing the relay would allow the cylinder stat to call for heat. Opening it would prevent the boiler from firing in response to calls of the cylinder for heat. Set the boiler's hot water time clock to be on continuously. Now, if you close the relay, the boiler brings the hot water store up to temperature; if you open the relay the boiler stops responding to the temperature of the cylinder.

Phil Summers, Oct 30, 2010
  8. 2SC

KevinH

Yes - that's kinda the way it works at the moment but there is no thermostat open/closed signalling - it's a water tank temp 'thermistor' sensor that connects into the existing thermostat, rather than the boiler. Within the thermostat I can set the desired water temperature, and both the water and heating times separately. Well actually I don't think you can have heating without hot water (except by lowering the hot water setpoint) but you can do the reverse. The hot water operates intelligently in a way that ensures at any timer period start the water is already up to temperature. It is a HW priority system.

What I'm trying to understand is how much of this I could retain/enhance using the C-Bus controls as I have no easy ability to further automate the controls, or support zone based demand which I would like to have. This is a large property so zoning is desireable - but it's also difficult to replumb in a more co-operative way so I have to use what's here already. My existing thermostat is on a two wire digital bus (BATIbus I believe) - I was original advised I could daisychain further thermostats onto this but now I'm told this isn't possible due to that feature being not implemented within the boiler firmware.

What your suggesting - (which I do understand I think) would involve replacing the analog hot water temperature sensor with a mechanical threshold on/off one and to use this to implement another on/off demand signal onto the boiler that is a series combination of thermostat (+ maybe time clock) and this also handles the mid position valve control. Just seems a retrograde step and I would lose the ability to set water temperature on the thermostat, end up with two timers, plus sacrifice the hot water ready 'on time' feature. Not sure there is an open/closed HW demand signal on the boiler anyway but I suspect there is.

In my setup I don't think from a safety viewpoint overun would be a problem as it's a single mid position valve that can only be HW/CH or mix - so there's always a circulation path. I suppose some heat could be dispersed briefly into the CH during summer. Pump overun is handled by the boiler internally.

Looking at this from the C-Bus side, and as I would then essentially have a water priority system couldn't the C-Bus room thermostat be calling for heat but in actuality the boiler still occupied for some time heating water ? Which would mean the thermostat plant manger would not get appropriate feedback on the heat provision capabilities and room characteristics ?

Ashleigh is also saying (very strongly) don't bypass the boiler on/off control - but always go via the thermostat - yet the hot water demand would be doing exactly this. Maybe because it's not a heating demand it's not an issue but the thermostat would then still not know that the boiler is unavailable whilst it's heating water. I suppose one workaround could be that a combinational heat demand from both HW and CH could place the valve mid position and heat both.

K

KevinH, Oct 30, 2010
  9. 2SC

ashleigh Moderator

Its all in the doco: http://training.clipsal.com/downloads/OpenCBus/OpenCBusProtocol.html

Accept the T's & C's and then read the "Air Conditioning Application" - chapter 25. You will see there is a LOT of it.

In particular, the thing you are looking at is the SET PLANT HVAC LEVEL message.

I DO NOT suggest you try and implement any of the other control messages on your own, it is a big and complex job, and any control device must implement a comprehensive internal MODEL of what the thermostat is doing.

If you want to go down this path then reading the implementation / device behaviour section 25.12 is MANDATORY.

If all you want is to take the plant demand and effectively make your own plant controller, then lifes much easier - accept those SET PLANT HVAC LEVEL messages on the air conditioning application. Use the conventions in the doco, and you can go do stuff.

The demand is basically a value in the range -127 to +127 with 0 meaning off. + numbers mean heat, - numbers mean cool. Bigger numbers mean more.

You will also have to handle the various modes, and the aux level which can be used to set a fan speed. Ignoring aux level is probably ok.

It *sounds* to my like the boiler is pretty smart, and is doing some kind of proportional control based on a demand feed. In this case if you took the SET PLANT HVAC LEVEL and turned the demand into a voltage and fed that into the boiler, on the face of it, it sounds like all would be nice.

However, you might need to do some experimenting. Its possible there will be two control systems here fighting each other.

Yes, it is a little basic by comparison.

you can use either, and just not configure or use any relays. The SET PLANT HVAC LEVEL messages will be pushed out onto the bus where you can pick them off.

You may need a little fiddling in TK, because what you are doing is disabling the internal plant controller and substituting your own.

In a multio-zone arrangement, the temp sensors in the remote zones feed into the zone manager in the thermostat (again read the protocol doco). The zone manager aggregates the temperature zone feeds and calculate a composite demand based on the various zones.
    If you made your own controller to issue the control messages, then the answer is yes. This does however get very complex.

ashleigh, Oct 31, 2010
  10. 2SC

ashleigh Moderator

No. This is kind of hard, because the "time before" would depend on the room type and size as well as the heating system type and size. Its always possible but a very hit-and-miss-thing to do without some good modelling.

No such capability.

No - not possible.

Complete unknown to me. This is complex stuff. The thermostat is a univseral device which will manage hydronic systems (your boiler arrangement) only in a fairly simple minded manner.

The ANTICIPATED use for these hydronic systems is for the boiler to do its stuff by magic, and for you to use a control valve in radiators. Something like this:
    http://na.heating.danfoss.com/xxTypex/155395_MNU17420014_SIT209.html

ashleigh, Oct 31, 2010
  11. 2SC

ashleigh Moderator

Or see my previous post - the demand can modulate the radiator at the radiator control valve and then it does not need to fiddle the boiler demand at all.

This would also be a common arrangement for something like a hotel where room heating / cooling is frequently done from a central chiller plant and then hot or cold water is circulated to heat exchangers in the rooms.

The thermostat DOES do proportional control of these flow valves - even using relays. The valves usually have a long (about 1 minute) turn on / turn off time. The thermostat can set a proportion of full scale by (for example) driving the valve fully closed, then open for 1/4 of the full-open time to get it about 1/4 open.

The simplistic approach to those things is "bang-bang" control - open or closed. The thermostat is smarter than that.

ashleigh, Oct 31, 2010
  12. 2SC

Phil Summers

I hadn't realised that your boiler used a more sophisticated system to sense and schedule the DHW tank than is usual in the UK. You're right- it would be a retrograde step.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
    Phil Summers, Oct 31, 2010
  13. 2SC

pgordon

Hi Ashliegh, been a while, but I've now got my thermostat connected up to CBUS and I'm actually starting to work on the comissioning/programming, as opposed to just theorising about it...

You mention using a (different) lighting control group to control the thermostat, which makes perfect sense... it just isn't completely clear to me yet how to actually set that up... - I've created another group called "Thermostat" in the lighting application - where in toolkit do I link that to the thermostat on/off function? - there are *loads* of groups referred to in the toolkit UI for these units, and in quite a few different places on the various tabs... - It looks like a bunch of them are duplicated in more than dialogue.. - e.g. the "Cool/Heat Groups" button in the "global" area seems to show much the same as the "Heating Groups" button on the Plant tab... - with a few subtle differences...

Also, I see that toolkit created a whole bunch of groups automatically, some in the HVAC Actuator 1 application (4 groups IIRC), and a load more in the lighting application (9 groups I believe).... oh and 1 more in the Air conditioning application... - is it safe/sensible for me to delete any/some of these? - since I have only a single stage furnace type plant, I have no fan or cooling functionality of any kind, and therefore I expect I have no need of any groups to control this plant that I don't have?.... I'll leave well alone if that is recommended, but I do like to keep things "tidy" and not filled up with superfluous guff that I don't need and will never use....

Also, can I just make absolutely certain that I understand the principle of operation correctly...
    If I turn the thermostat ON, that is akin to turning the heating system ON - i.e. when I turn the t-stat on it will do it's calculation of the demand, and if heat is called for will operate the assigned relay (via the stage 1 group assignment). If when I turn the t-stat on, the setpoint is already reached, then it will do nothing.. - I have no cooling plant, so there is no option for it to start implemementing a cooling operation... whilst the t-stat is ON, it will continuously perform this demand assessment and fire the boiler to "make heat" as and when necessary, and turn the boiler off as appropriate according the demand?...

Conversely, turning the thermostat OFF is akin to turning off the heating system as well? - regardless of the ambient temperature compared to the setpoint (i.e. the amount of demand), if the t-stat is turned off, it will not fire the boiler. - the only exception to this being if the Guard function kicks in if it gets *really* cold....

So, if I'm in the first condition: the thermostat is ON, there is demand, and thus the boiler is fired and the heating is on... I then turn the thermostat off - either from it's local on/off button, or by switching the appropriate control group off... what happens? - I would expect that the thermostat will flip the plant control relay back OFF, thus switcing the furnace (boiler) OFF, and turning the heating OFF... - so all I need to do when I leave the premises is to make sure I turn the thermostat off, so I don't end up wasting fuel heating an empty house...

Have I understood that correctly?

Cheers.

Paul G.

pgordon, Dec 9, 2010
  14. 2SC

pgordon

Conflicting information?

Hi, that seems fairly unequivocal that a LIGHTING group can turn the t-stat on or off... BUT, having spent a lot of time browsing through everything I could find on this topic in the forums, I came across this post from last year...

Which seems similarly unequivocal that the group used to remotely control the thermostat MUST be in the Air Conditioning App (application 172, or AC hex).. so which is true?... - I guess that with new enough switches it probably doesn't matter that much... - from my NEO's or Saturns I can set the secondary application to Air Conditioning and then set keys to switch Communication group 1... - I guess this will perform the desired action? - the 2nd quote above appears to confirm this.... Certainly from my own experience of the options in toolkit, I can't seem to find any way to configure a group in the lighting application to control the t-stat...

Comments?

TIA

Paul G.

pgordon, Dec 10, 2010
  15. 2SC

pgordon

And some more questions!

Sorry to keep bombarding you with all these questions, - eventually I *will* get this! - and when I do, I'll write it all up & post it up here in case it helps anyone in the same situation as me...
    I've noticed a couple of things that I'm not certain if they're "normal" or not...

1: when I installed the t-stat in toolkit, it created a bunch of groups automatically, as I mentioned in another post... - I'm wondering now if I've ended up with too many - possibly caused by duplication of some of them when I changed the primary application to lighting? - see pic1 for a list of the groups I've currently got... - it looks to me like at least a few of them are duplicates across the lighting app & the HVAC 1 app....

2: I've noticed a bunch of group broadcasts every 60 seconds going out on CBUS... - is this normal? - see pic 2 which is a snip of the log from Homeseer (my main HA app) which shows CBUS transmissions on 3 of those automatically created t-stat groups every minute... - it appears that it's not actually *changing* the state of any of those groups, just continuously sending out messages to keep them in their existing state.... - this is occurring whilst the thermostat is *OFF* - is this normal?
    In case the screengrab isn't clear enough, the entries are as follows:

13/12/2010 09:31:34 CBUS Group 37 changed, - [CG01] W (heat) Level: 0
    13/12/2010 09:31:34 CBUS Group 38 changed, - [CG01] G (heat fan) Level: 0
    13/12/2010 09:31:35 CBUS Group 40 changed, - Setback Disable Level: 1
    13/12/2010 09:32:35 CBUS Group 37 changed, - [CG01] W (heat) Level: 0
    13/12/2010 09:32:36 CBUS Group 38 changed, - [CG01] G (heat fan) Level: 0
    13/12/2010 09:32:36 CBUS Group 40 changed, - Setback Disable Level: 1

As you can see here, the same 3 group commands were issued 60 seconds apart... - this goes on continuously....

Thanks in advance for the clarifications guys...

Paul G.

Attached Files:

pgordon, Dec 13, 2010
  16. 2SC

Newman

When you moved the Thermostat over to the lighting application Toolkit automatically creates the new group addresses necessary for it to live on the lighting application. It leaves groups in the HVAC application alone. There's no harm in them being there, however you can delete them from the HVAC application if you're trying to keep your Toolkit database squeaky clean.

The broadcasts onto C-Bus happen regularly, even when the Thermostat is off, for keeping all the different zones, multiple thermostats and plant controllers in sync. The rate at which messages are sent onto C-Bus for this is defined by the 'Refresh Time' parameter on the C-Bus tab of the UI. It's designed to do this, so it's completely normal.

Based on the log, it looks like the checkbox on the C-Bus tab for 'Enables sending of Thermostat C-Bus messages' is un-ticked. If you tick this box, you'll get not only the C-Bus Group messages but all the inter-thermostat communication messages as well.

Newman, Dec 13, 2010
  17. 2SC

pgordon

Excellent answers - thank you!

You are correct, I have the thermostat communication messages checkbox unticked - from what I read, I believed I understood that I don't need that enabled, since I only have a single thermostat.... - does that also include the transmission of the current temperature (as measured by the stat)? - Is there a way to pick up the current temp off the bus & get it into a group level (I have Wiser, so I can do it there if need be)....

I also noticed an error explaining at least in part those messages I was seeing in the logs... - for whatever reason, my thermostat config wasn't set as I thought I'd set it... (I use an offline test install of toolkit on my laptop for reading the help files / taking screenshots etc.) - when I checked my production config, I noticed that the plant group settings were still using some of those default groups rather than my newly created "Boiler Control" group that I'd created for the purpose... also one of those was still enabled for the cooling plant (which I don't have...) Having updated that, I'm now seeing what I believe are more "sensible" messages going onto the bus...

14/12/2010 10:18:27 CBUS Group 35 changed, - Boiler Control Level: 0
    14/12/2010 10:18:27 CBUS Group 40 changed, - Setback Disable Level: 1
    14/12/2010 10:19:28 CBUS Group 35 changed, - Boiler Control Level: 0
    14/12/2010 10:19:29 CBUS Group 40 changed, - Setback Disable Level: 1
    14/12/2010 10:20:29 CBUS Group 35 changed, - Boiler Control Level: 0
    14/12/2010 10:20:29 CBUS Group 40 changed, - Setback Disable Level: 1

So now the stat is at least sending messages to the lighting control groups that I configured rather than the default ones... - and I now see the point of the earlier warnings about never controlling the plant group directly!!! - if the stat is sending an "off" command to that every 60 seconds, there's not much point in turning it on outside of that control mechanism!

Now that I can see that the stat is at least controlling the correct groups, and thus far appears to be sending the appropriate commands (stat is turned off, so I'd expect to see commands turning the boiler off too...), I'll do a few more tests with various scenarios involving turning the stat on & off locally, changing setpoints etc. and observe the messages I See going out on the bus to confirm everything behaves as I think it should, - following which I think I'll be ready to actually change over the boiler wiring fairly soon and get the plant relay channel actually controlling the heating... - hurrah!

Thanks for all the help getting this far, Hope you'll bear with me a little longer while I continue up this learning curve...

Paul G.

pgordon, Dec 14, 2010
  18. 2SC

Newman

If you want to see the current temperature, as measured by the Thermostat, then you need to enable the 'Enables sending of Thermostat C-Bus messages' option. This will make the unit send lots of additional information onto C-Bus, including the current temperature. You could then use logic to map that across to a C-Bus Group Address level if you wanted to.

Newman, Dec 14, 2010
  19. 2SC

pgordon

So very nearly there...

Thanks... Now all I need to figure out is the answer to the question a few entries up regarding the group used to remotely turn the t-stat on & off then I reckon I'll be done....

TIA

Paul G.

pgordon, Dec 15, 2010
  20. 2SC

Newman

To turn the Thermostat on and off remotely you need to use the HVAC application, not the lighting application. In the HVAC Application, individual zones can be turned on and off.

In your case, where you have fairly simple control of the boiler, you need to turn on and off HVAC Zone 1. To do this from a basic key unit you need to put that key on the HVAC Application, assign a Group Address of 1 to the key and configure the key as On/Off.

Newman, Dec 16, 2010
Ask a Question