Help please with dancing lights!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bob_bob, Oct 16, 2020.

1. bob_bob

bob_bob

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, and am a homeowner i.e. not sparky etc..

I moved into my house 4 years ago, and the CBUS was installed there probably some years before that in a renovation of the property. About two years ago, i had a failure in the system which was apparently due to not having enough power to the system.. so the sparky i called added in a new power supply to it.. does this sort of thing happen? And should they have replaced something rather than add on to it?

All was working fine until last weekend when all of a sudden, my lights don't turn on and system generally blinky.. Strange thing is, the system works fine "most" of the time but is finicky.. so last night I am at home, with dining room lights on from 6 pm, and then suddenly, they turn off at 815 pm, then turn back on, then basically go on and off?

Later at night, i check it again, and after say 10 pm, they can come on normally again?? Sparky has been to check, no real issues with power supply but no real solution..

Anyone any ideas?

thanks,
    bob

bob_bob, Oct 16, 2020
  2. bob_bob

chromus

Sounds like a power supply issue in 1 of the output modules. This will need a sparky to replace if it is.

Do you have a CNI/Wiser/Touchscreen that you can connect to the CBUS with to read the unit voltages?

where are u located? maybe a local can point you to someone who can help?

chromus, Oct 16, 2020
  3. bob_bob

lcrowhurst

It could also be a “noisy” power supply , this can be difficult to diagnose, because it causes random things. If the electrician has an oscilloscope then he will be able to see the noise, otherwise it will be turning one of at a time and seeing if the system stabilizes. Once the faulty one is found ( could be more than one , if for example it’s from storm damage) it will have to be replaced

lcrowhurst, Oct 16, 2020
  4. bob_bob

bob_bob

Sorry. I should have mentioned. All this dancing business happened after another power supply had failed and was replaced by my sparky. Incidentally the one who installed the system.

I have a black and white touch Screen. But I am really not techie enough to do what @chromus suggested.

Attached Files:

bob_bob, Oct 16, 2020
  5. bob_bob

lcrowhurst

could be in learn mode, press any LED (not the two on the left) on one of the output units for 2 seconds.

lcrowhurst, Oct 16, 2020
  6. bob_bob

chromus

Believe it or not it’s really easy to get the details.

Post a pic of the touch screen and we might be able to tell u how to get the details

chromus, Oct 16, 2020
  7. bob_bob

bob_bob

Here it is.

Attached Files:

bob_bob, Oct 17, 2020
  8. bob_bob

bob_bob

I am located in Sydney Australia.

bob_bob, Oct 17, 2020
  9. bob_bob

chromus

Ok that fascia covers a USB port, you should be able to install the CBUS toolkit and plug into the port.

To get the fascia off you will need a medium size flat head screwdriver and look under the bottom edge of the fascia you will see the 2 points where u can gently insert the screwdriver and twist gently.

You can then run toolkit and capture the details of you network and see unit by unit what the voltages are.

Look on YouTube for guides for using toolkit.

chromus, Oct 18, 2020
  10. bob_bob

bob_bob

Ok. So. I don’t know what the toolkit is. Nor how one connects to it. Is this something I can download? Do I connect a laptop into it?
    I will google and YouTube a bit but if I don’t have the original setup will I be able to tell anything from this?? Is there a place to learn how to program these things?

bob_bob, Oct 18, 2020
  11. bob_bob

bob_bob

hi @chromus .. if I don’t have the original “project” files, can i re-create this (at novice level) or is this something a more experienced programmer should do.. i..e how badly can i ruin it if i just plug in a laptop with the CBUS toolkit?

Have found some training guides online....

bob_bob, Oct 18, 2020
  12. bob_bob

chromus

Do a Google search for “CIS Clipsal downloads”

Toolkit is normally at the top of the list of downloads.

Toolkit can indeed partially recreate the project files.

chromus, Oct 19, 2020
Ask a Question