Help on C-BUS2 to turn off dimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nat, Jan 21, 2019.

1. nat

nat

hi just bought an apartment in singapore which has the clipsal c-bus2. i just need to do away with the dimmer so i can use LED bulbs. i was recommened to one company here who suggested to change all 4 modules each costing $1500! my electirician thinks it just needs a reprogramming to bypass the dimmer so i can operate it with regular bulbs. anyone has a solution or a company i can speak to in singapore that would be highly helpful.

nat, Jan 21, 2019
  2. nat

NickD Moderator

You should be able to find a LED bulb that works with the dimmer.

What dimmer model is it?

What is happening when you use the LED bulbs?

Nick

NickD, Jan 21, 2019
  3. nat

nat

thanks NIck, it says C-BUS2 on my system board!
    the led bulb keeps flickering when switched off. am worried it will spoil the module. am trying to check if dimmable led bulb is available in singapore. any recommendations on the dimmable bulbs you are aware of which works with C-BUS2?

nat, Jan 21, 2019
  4. nat

magic8

You just need a load correction device to fix the problem
    They should be available locally and easy to fit

magic8, Jan 21, 2019
  5. nat

nat

thanks nick, very helpful. let me check if any electrician is aware or able to do this and then revert. but thanks once again for your help on this

nat, Jan 21, 2019
  6. nat

jboer

Hi Nat! As Magic8 said a Load Correction Device should do what you need.
    The Schneider/Clipsal part is: 31LCDA - Most electricians should be able to source, or buy from Australia and ship over?
    https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/31LCDA/clipsal-31lcda-load-correction-device-for-enhanced.html

Otherwise TSM in Singapore can get the State Automation Load/Anti-Flicker Plugs, but they might be a bit expensive:
    https://www.tsm-int.com/product/state-automation/

jboer, Jan 21, 2019
  7. nat

DarylMc

Hello nat
    You need to provide a lot more information to get good advice.
    I've used the Clipsal load correction devices and they will not make every type of LED light fitting work correctly on a CBus dimmer.
    Not even for LED's which are sold as dimmable.

You did not specify which LED bulbs are giving you the flashing problem right now.
    Are you using dimmable bulbs?
    If so which type of dimmer (leading or trailing) does the bulb manufacturer specify?
    Which type of CBus dimmers do you have leading or universal and model number?
    How many lamps per channel?

Since you indicated you have four CBus dimming modules you could have between 16 and 32 channels.
    One load correction device is required for each channel.
    Have a look at the price.
    They are not cheap or guaranteed to fix your problems.

If you go back to the first reply by NickD it may well be possible to find some suitable bulbs or light fittings.
    If all the light fittings are 70-90mm recessed you should find perfectly compatible fittings available.

If dimming is not required I think it could be worth changing the dimmers to relay output units.
    This will allow trouble free lamp selection going forward.
    Get some more quotes.

DarylMc, Jan 22, 2019
  8. nat

nat

Thanks Jboer
    Hi Daryl, thanks for this. no, havent tried teh dimmable bulbs yet. just tried the regular led. am now looking to buy the dimmable led bulbs to test this. any suggestions which bulb works. shall try to figure out the dimmer - not too familiar on the electrical side but have attached a picture of my units. the relay output units converter costs $1500 per unit and the electiricians here said i would require 4 modules for the change! just took over this apartment and hence need to find if there are any brochures on this c-bus. shall look for this as well to find out what models these are as well.

Attached Files:

• cbus.jpg
      cbus.jpg
      File size:
      14.4 KB
      Views:
    nat, Jan 22, 2019
  9. nat

DarylMc

Hello nat
    You should only use dimming compatible light bulbs/fittings on any dimmer.

It's hard to tell in that picture but it looks like you have 4 x 4 channel dimmers so 16 channels in total.
    Get your electrician to note the exact model number of all the dimmer units if you want to pursue a dimming solution.
    4 channel dimmers come in leading edge or universal type with or without power supplies.
    Without this information no one can advise well.

It is possible that not every dimming channel is in use or that some channels may be using the same group address.
    This may allow you to change your dimming channels to relay outputs with just one new 12 channel relay and a little switchboard wiring rearrangement.
    There may be spare relay outputs on the other 12 channel relays too.
    You should get some more quotes.

If you describe each type of bulb or light fitting as requested perhaps someone can guide you to something suitable so you don't need to replace any CBus units at all.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    DarylMc, Jan 22, 2019
Ask a Question