Help needed with web cameras

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ashleigh, Jan 29, 2006.

1. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

Chaps

I'm looking at getting Web Cams supported on the Ctouch Colour.

As has rightly been pointed out, many of these d%$# things need to install an ActiveX control so you can view motion / video.

It also turns out that the security patches currently being used seem to forbid dynamic load of ActiveX controls (I've been fighting the settings for a week now).

I've found a couple of controls that are commonly used for the Axis cameras and cameras using a Winbond video->IP converter chip (which in theory should work for a lot of off-the-shelf converters out there).

I've also figured out how to pre-install these so that the camera will just work.

So a possible, but pretty crappy solution, is to bundle into the operating system the ActiveX controls for the most common cameras around. (Yes, I know, this sucks).

But...

What cameras are being used?

Can I have some replies please with the brand / make / model of web cameras that are commonly being used? And preferably where they are bought from?

This way there is a reasonable chance of supporting more than just a single make & model :mad: and doing so with a reasonable time to the next release of CTC firmware.

ashleigh, Jan 29, 2006
  2. ashleigh

Charlie Crackle

Please support

Axis Cameras and Axis Video servers. (you have this under control)

Linksys WVC50G Wireless video camera (MPEG4)

Netcomm NS4540 Network dome camera

Are you going to support sound ???

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Jan 29, 2006
  3. ashleigh

RossW

I've been using a range of cameras, trying to find the best performance, best performance-for-dollar and just plain cheapest cameras. I currently have about 20 deployed.

Axis were once upon a time the only choice for a good one, but hellish expensive.
    For fixed-focus, non-PTZ, "disposabe" cameras, there is one for about $100. CLAIMS to be windows-only, but if you dig into it, you can pull static images from anything. Doesn't like bright lights though.

The Axis cameras, as you've found, are pretty good. Pulling images, even live video, doesn't require active-X, but controlling the camera may.

I've been using the Cannon VB-C50iR which has been quite good, deployed now for 18 months odd. Custom-written code lets me control the PTZ functions without needing active-X, although it was a lot of mucking about to get it working. <a href="http://skycam.albury.net.au/">One, static view here</a>

The Sony SNCRZ30P is excellent. Better than the Cannon, and with a nice software set. Smother operation, finer control of pan, and more particularly, tilt.

Depending on application, the Axis quad-camera-server is also good value although expensive. It takes up to 4 standard composite video cameras and produces an IP stream for each (or, optionally, can quad the 4 into one frame). PTZ can be done with RS232, but it's a bit awkward. It doesn't much like it when your cameras have different DC bias though, and I've had intermittent problems with cameras that have had different scan rates.

I haven't tried the Netcomm IP-camera, they made it all just way too hard to buy one. A pity really, as I'd have liked to support the aussie offering.

RossW, Jan 29, 2006
  4. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

I wish we did (have it under control). I think we can do these.

I'll try.

I'd not been planning to. CTC does have a small speaker and I can try. Cannot promise at the moment. Some of them do it by default.

ashleigh, Jan 30, 2006
  5. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

I've done some more digging.

Some cameras have very restrictive licensing terms, so download and bundling of portions of their control software is not going to be possible.

It looks though, like the Axis will be possible (cross yer fingers), and also some of the camera servers based on Winbond chips.

A bit more playing about and we might be able to offer at least 1 out-of-the box solution, and maybe even 2.

[It looks like the Netcomm might be an Axis rebadged. Linksys might be similar, but its hard to tell exactly.]

I've also found ACTi... Though its too early to tell yet if they are widely used, or if the controls they provide will be suitable.

Anyhow, I've gone from desperation to thinking there is a glimmer of hope :)

ashleigh, Jan 30, 2006
  6. ashleigh

PSC

What about the Panasonic & D-Link cameras?

PSC, Jan 30, 2006
  7. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

Hi PSC - no promises but I'll try and take a look and see how hard (or otherwise) they are.

ashleigh, Jan 30, 2006
  8. ashleigh

PSC

Sorry Ash, that was a bit informal of me.

Let's try that again -

Hey Ash, if you get a chance checkout the Panasonic & D-Link cameras.

Thanks again,

Have a great night. :)

Was that better?

PSC, Jan 30, 2006
  9. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

Fine, no probs.

I've just been wasting my evening looking (gee I must want to get this update released!).

It looks like both Panasonic and D-Link don't publish the activeX controls separately.

This takes the shine off.

The only way to support them without breaking any laws & license agreements will be to approach them and ask if we can bundle their stuff in. I don't expect that to be a fast process.

Making these b^%$# cameras supported in a really clean simple manner is not easy at all. But it should be. The industry needs to get into a bit of a standardising mode...

ashleigh, Jan 30, 2006
  10. ashleigh

*JD*

Future Ctouch

Hello People,

I was told today that in three months (CIS ;) ) the Colour Ctouch will be enabled with the ethernet port. Now sledge me if I'm wrong but does that mean you will be able to view an IP address on a PC based camera system ????

JD
    Home Smart Home

*JD*, Jan 30, 2006
  11. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

Hi *JD*

When the update comes out, you will be able to use the sockets in logic code to get your code to have a chat with some other thingy.

The sockets you can open up in the firewall will be restricted to thre range 10000 to 19999.

We are also *planning* on supporting dropping a web browser object onto a homegate page, so you can view a URL.

However... *most* web cameras only display a motion image if they have an ActiveX control installed into the machine, and the web page being rendered references that. This raises two issues:

1. The security settings don't allow on-the-fly installation of ActiveX controls; and

2. The default page when you point the browser at most cameras includes all this decoration, setup buttons, firmware upgrade buttons, manufacturer advertising, and so on. In other words, it looks pretty crappy.

For these reasons, web camera support is *probably* going to need to be done a bit more intelligently... exactly what that means is still to be worked out, but just pointing a browser at a camera aint going to cut the mustard. :mad:

ashleigh, Jan 30, 2006
  12. ashleigh

Alistair

Hi folks,

I am new to this c-Bus stuff but read the thread for interest anyway.
    what about a bit of lateral thinking ?
    If you have a standards compliant browser at your disposal (in the unit that is) can you not run a java applet ?

If so then an approach based on this type of thing may well simplify stuff, I intend to install one to monitor a coms room soon.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28632

This is the Dlink DCS-900 but there many more along the same lines and one applet is much like any other once support is enabled !

Just a thought

:confused:

Alistair, Feb 1, 2006
  13. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

Tah.

What you will find is that some cameras support java, some don't. Some want to load the applet in dynamically, some don't. some want to use ActiveX (where the applet is pretty much assumed to be loaded in dynamically).

Every camera uses a different URL into the camera innards to get the MJPG or MPEG video out.

Some manufacturers allow all their controls and applets to be downloaded from their web site and distributed pretty much without restriction, but many have those long boring license agreements, and if you read them you find that you can only use a single copy of the the software on the originating computer for 2 days a year when their is a full moon and the wind is blowing from the north. (Sigh)

Thats why its all a can'o'worms.

ashleigh, Feb 1, 2006
Ask a Question