Help needed with smoke alarm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pfandrews, Jan 30, 2006.

1. pfandrews

pfandrews

I have connected a smoke alarm (755SMA) to a smoke alarm isolation unit (756) and then connected the cbus coupler to the isolation unit. When connected to the Normally Closed position the lights that I wish to have turn on, turn on when the alarm is not functioning. When I place the connection to the Normally Open position the lights do not activate after the smoke alarm is triggered.

Am I doing anything wrong or could it be a case of faulty equipment. I appreciate any help anyone could possibly give me.

Thanks

pfandrews, Jan 30, 2006
  2. pfandrews

znelbok

It takes about 9 seconds for the isolation unit to respond. Are you waiting long enough for it to trigger the input.

It is in the manual for the isolation unit about the time.

Otherwise it is correct what you have done.

Mick

znelbok, Jan 30, 2006
  3. pfandrews

ashleigh Moderator

Please please please don't RELY on a smoke alarm connected to cbus for anything critical.

If you have a fire and it causes loss of cbus power, the cbus functions won't work!!!!!

ashleigh, Jan 30, 2006
  4. pfandrews

pfandrews

Thanks for your responses.

Znelbok - I am aware of the 9 seconds delay and had the alarm ringing for over 30 seconds each attempt but still no luck.

ashleigh - the client won't be relying on the lights to come on, however if power is not cut to the c-bus system then it's a nice additional safety feature to have.

Could it have something to do with the way I have setup the coupler in the toolkit?

I am at a loss at the moment.

pfandrews, Jan 30, 2006
  5. pfandrews

BSS

pfandrews
    Go back to basics first. Do the lights trigger when you put a short on the couplers input ?
    Yes - the coupler is ok - Now look at the the isolation units output when in normal and when in alarm condition.
    No - you need to look at your coupler or the programming of it.

Next if the coupler is ok , look at the outputs from the isolation unit when in alarm condition and reset condition. If the contacts change over and work correctly then check your cable conections between the coupler and the isolation unit. If the outputs do not respond correctly then your isolation unit is faulty or wired wrong.
    Most problems can be solved by going back to simple fault finding proceedures to prove equipment integrity first then interconects second.
    hope that helps
    Regards Stephen

BSS, Jan 31, 2006
Ask a Question