Help Needed - Jeeves (Minder System)

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Bjhrfs, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Bjhrfs

Bjhrfs

Ok, after a lot of searching I think I may have found a forum where people might have the know how to help.

I purchased my home this time last year, it was built in 97/98. The house has a Jeeves home automation system which from reading posts on this and other forums I believe is/was now known as the Clipsal minder system.

It appears to be a fairly extensive set up. In the 2 storey house almost all the lights are c-bus (bathroom's and laundry not). The minder has the security features with it, siren box e.t.c. PIR's are just about everywhere and I do mean everywhere, even the roof space which is only accessible via a ladder and man hole has PIR'S in it. There is also a very extensive watering system and rain sensors linked to the system. 5 large actuators (i think they are called) are joined to the system with large pipes running outwards in every direction from under the walk space under the house. Every square inch of garden, front and back is covered by the system.

Now, when we first moved in certain features functioned automatically. The PIR in the garage would detect movement after dark and turn on the garage lights. A PIR near the front door of the house would detect movement after dark and turn on the front lights etc.

About 6 months ago, the keypad control at the front door (its the 5207, not 5207A) displayed the common error "KeyPad Comms failed, contact installer". After reading some other posts I attempted to reset the address of the keypad however it was already set to 01 as default. This has resulted in the automatic light features I mentioned above no longer functioning. It also means that we can no longer use the security system.

The prior owner, who was there for the design and build of the house left me extensive notes regarding the system. All required software to run the system on a CD and the original floppy disks, passwords, bitmap images of house layout (to integrate into software etc) however it connects to the PC via a serial port and the software will only run on windows 98 or earlier.

I purchased a USB to serial adapter but I am yet to source an old system running 98 or earlier though i will have something set up fairly soon.

I had an electrician come out last week however after having a quick look behind the panel and a bit of investigating he shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't have much experience with home automation. I have also contacted numerous electrical outlets on the Central Coast however none had any information to offer regarding the Jeeves/Minder system.

I really need some help and direction here guys, I don't know what my options are. Since the system is already in place is it possible to just upgrade the main automation controller? (Jeeves Box under the stairs) or is that not an option? I am very much into technology and computers but I have basically no prior knowledge in home automation or home electrical. I want to be adding more geeky features to my home, not loosing functionality bit by bit.

Thoughts, questions, info? I'm desperate. Thanks in advance.

Bjhrfs, Oct 30, 2010
  2. Bjhrfs

tobex

There are many options including the PASCAL controller, Touch screens .... this is mentioned a few times under the topic "replace minder".

Though it seems that it is also your alarm. The idea of removing it may also need some consideration for the alarm.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
    tobex, Oct 30, 2010
  3. Bjhrfs

ashleigh Moderator

A couple of suggestions:

- If the system is a JEEVES then it is not 100% the same as MINDER. They had a common heritage, but slight differences in the available hardware options and software / firmware. Nevertheless, if you have all the information, use what you have.

- To run Windows 98 on a newer machine, run it inside a VM. You should be able to download and install either VMWare Player (free), or VirtualBox (also free). Either of these will run Win98 INSIDE your existing PC and the Win98 will think its the full monty. You can then use the controls of the VM system to connect real physical devices (eg serial ports) to the VM which will pass the communication through.

ashleigh, Oct 30, 2010
  4. Bjhrfs

Conformist

I'll help you. I'll send you a private message. There is way too much to go through on the forum.

BTW, the old systems will work with newer versions of the software.

Cheers

Conformist, Oct 30, 2010
  5. Bjhrfs

Bjhrfs

Its great to finally get some confident feed back and advice. I'm looking forward to your PM conformist. Cheers guys

Bjhrfs, Nov 1, 2010
  6. Bjhrfs

Conformist

Bjhrfs

You need to change your profile settings to permit private messaging or I can't help you

Conformist, Nov 1, 2010
  7. Bjhrfs

Bjhrfs

Hi Conformist, I have checked all my settings and it appears that email and PM is enabled however I don't seem to have the option to email of PM anyone at all on this forum. I only signed up a few days ago so maybe that has something to do with it?

Would it be possible to directly send me an email instead?
    My address is bjhrfs AT hotmail DOT com

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
    Bjhrfs, Nov 1, 2010
  8. Bjhrfs

Mkxt128

Did it work

It's been a number of years since the last post Bjhrfs / Conformist - but I have the same problem. Wondering if you guys managed to resolve the issue?

Mkxt128, Mar 10, 2015
  9. Bjhrfs

Conformist

What is the exact problem you have? Is it 'Keypad comms failed, please contact your installer'?

Conformist, Mar 11, 2015
  10. Bjhrfs

russy2332

hey conformist would i be able to get your help with this problem please i currently had my keypad come up with Keypad comms failed, please contact your installer

russy2332, Dec 25, 2015
  11. Bjhrfs

Ashley W

It could be a number of things.

First thing is to make sure the keyboard address is set correctly.

Follow the instructions in the link below and set the address to 1. I am assuming you have a single keypad.

http://www3.clipsal.com/cis/pdf_files/10331071_-_5207_INSTALLATION_INSTRUCTION.pdf

Failing that the issue could be with the RS485 driver chips on the circuit board. IIRC they can be easily replaced (they are in integrated chip holders), I just don't have access to one at the moment to tell you the type or exact location.

What you could do is open the cover and look towards the right of the unit and replace any chip that is in a holder. The RS232 console port also has chips that can easily be removed, these have failed a few times on my minder.

Ashley W, Dec 28, 2015
  12. Bjhrfs

Conformist

Hey Russy

In 95% of cases, it's the keypad losing its address (it defaults back to 00). Follow the instructions that have already been posted to set the keypad to 01

Cheers

Conformist

Conformist, Jan 1, 2016
Ask a Question