Help! Cbus key inputs flash when pressed but no control

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by tbm1, Feb 9, 2017.

1. tbm1

tbm1

Hi everyone,

I really need some assistance.

This is my first ever post with my first ever problem.
    Apologies if this has been discussed previously and I wasn't sure if this is in the right area.
    I will try and be as specific as possible.

I have had my cbus installed for about 4 years without a single issue. It is connected to my automation system via an rs233 connection to the Clipsal PC interface. Both have worked flawlessly until this morning when I tried to turn on my lights. Any switch I go to and press just flashes with no response from the output modules.

If I send any form of lighting command from my automation system the lights operate perfectly and the respective key input illuminates.

I connected up my PC running toolkit and it failed to scan anything on the network.

I have 13 output modules all mounted in enclosures which are daisy chained and connected to one of the Clipsal PCI RJ45 ports. In the other PCI port of the PCI is the connection out to all my light switches which, for most, are daisy chained.

When I disconnect the termination feeding my switches and just leave my modules connected the system scan works and detects all these modules. Plug in my network of switches again and the only device that successfully scans is the PCI?

I was running a wireless gateway and just disconnected that before these tests with no fix.

All up I have about 20 different switches which are a combination of the Saturn series and plain 2000 series.
    Relay and dimmer modules all incorporate a power supply and I have some shutter and fan modules in my setup.

I have 3 devices setup as a system clock with one being the PCI and the PCI is also providing the network burden via programming. No hard wired burden.

Again, this whole system has been working perfect until now and I have no idea where to look for the fault?

Currently, I can't use my light switches. Sometimes they were working but mostly failed during initial testing this morning.

There has been no change to my hardware, cabling or programming for months.

Any feedback/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Trav

tbm1, Feb 9, 2017
  2. tbm1

Ashley

From your description the most likely cause is a dead power supply. Have you checked the voltage anywhere along the bus?

Ashley, Feb 9, 2017
  3. tbm1

NickD Moderator

The rapid flashing on the key unit when you press a button is telling you that it failed to communicate.

Chances are your automation system is retrying a few more times than your key units which could be why it succeeds.

If it's changed suddenly then it sounds like something has failed. As Ashley suggests it could be a power supply... there were some problems with really early 2000 series key units.. what vintage are yours?

Nick

NickD, Feb 10, 2017
  4. tbm1

Ingo

Just for kicks, stick a hard wired burden in there.

Ingo, Feb 10, 2017
  5. tbm1

Wonkey

Get your Multi meter out and measure the voltage at the end of the Key switch circuit. Ideally you want greater than 22v for a stable network.
    If the voltage is less, then measure again with the inputs disconnected near the PCI.. Hopefully its now up to about 34V.
    On the Ohms range measure the disconnected input circuit and check you have not got a short circuit or close to it.
    Present the data so we can move to the next stage or give Tech support a call.
    In the C-Bus training manual there is a fault finding chart which will also help.

Wonkey, Feb 10, 2017
  6. tbm1

tobex

1/ See if your network scans through the PC interface.

2/ Check CBUS voltage

3/ Ensure you have one or more clocks running on the network.

4/ Validate that you only have one burden.

tobex, Feb 11, 2017
  7. tbm1

tbm1

Hi everyone.

I thought I would just say a quick thank you for everyone that made some time to reply and assist with my issue. I think I found the problem as the network seems to be stabile thus far. I would actually go as far to say that luck was on my side given all my switches, as previously reported, were playing up. I went to one of the back rooms that we don't use much and found that the single 2000 series key input would not communicate when the others were. I removed it and tested the voltage which was just under 28 volts. I have removed it for now and have had no issues doing a successful network scan. I have also made some system changes that were on my to do list which have worked fine. I always try and look at what has happened since the fault first started and I think after some very heavy rain here in Melbourne that maybe there has been some water ingress within the ceiling and it has followed the cable down the wall cavity. There is no signs of corrosion or dampness on the back of the switch but this doesn't mean that something's happened. This switch has probably been used a few times since I installed the systems as it is a spare room.
    Again, I put this down to our pure luck. I dread having to fault find if it happens again!

Thank you guys. Your help has been much appreciated.

P.S in regards to my automation system (Omni pro II) commands worked fine. Light switches would illuminate when turned on but when the actual switch was depressed the led would just flash. I have never had to fault find a cbus system so this is a big learning curv for me.

Cheers

Trav

tbm1, Feb 11, 2017
  8. tbm1

NickD Moderator

Glad you found the issue. What is the manufacturing date on the suspect unit?

Nick

NickD, Feb 13, 2017
  9. tbm1

tbm1

Hi Nick,

Manufacturing date is 25th June 2010.

Trav

tbm1, Feb 13, 2017
  10. tbm1

NickD Moderator

Ok... these are newish ones... they would not have the issue I referred to.

Nick

NickD, Feb 13, 2017
Ask a Question