Hell of a time

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Flying wheels, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Flying wheels

Flying wheels

Hi guys
    Thanks for the add
    Having a hell of a time here I am doing a full Reno on my house and would like it all c-bus so though I would start testing it and trying to get use to how it programs ect
    I have set up on my desk
    1 wiser 5500shac
    1 Clipsal 24v psu
    1 universal dimmer
    1 12 voltage free relay
    1 pascal
    1 Edlt
    1 6 button switch
    1 c-bus power supply
    Latest toolkit and firmware on edlt
    The toolkit. Constantly won’t scan / crash
    It comes up finding 5 items click ok and will just go back to the Home Screen ( sometimes comes up with , check power , burden , network )
    Sometimes it dose work and I can get to the next step , can add the units to the upper part of the screen / active projects
    The relay and the dimmer for most seem to program ok and can set them up sometimes they will crash while writing to the unit ,
    The edlt on the other hand is causing the most pain. Constantly crashes while writing to the unit / seems very slow to write to it as well the task bar just sits there gets to about 10% and comes up with a error but on a rare occasion it will just write to it very quickly and will work , it seems like it will crash when I am trying to write more than one thing to it. ie if I do just one label or a colour change or address at a time it might program ok. But if I try to do a whole page at once it just won’t program and the labels on the edlt don’t match what I wanted it to say ie if I had a label “hallway “ the edlt will say “cellar”

Attached Files:

Flying wheels, Jul 11, 2021
  2. Flying wheels

Ashley

With that small a system you will definitely need a burden. If you don't have a hardware burden you can enable a software one on any output unit, but only on unit 1 and only if it has its clock enabled. So make sure the relay or dimmer is unit one, then to go the global tab and make sure a burden is enabled. If toolkit won't talk to the unit, you can enable a burden in learn mode by following these instructions:

https://www.cbusforums.com/attachments/enable-a-network-burden-using-learn-mode-pdf.265/

Also make sure you have more than 1 but no more than 3 clocks enabled.

You also don't need the separate cbus power supply in your test setup as both output devices have 200mA power supplies included.

Ashley, Jul 11, 2021
  3. Flying wheels

Flying wheels

Hi. Thanks for the reply.
    Yes I do have the software burden setup on the dimmer and it has a clock set as well , I was kinda hoping it would be just a burden problem ( I don’t have a hardware one unfortunately is there a difference between a software one and hardware one ? ) it didn’t make any difference with it enabled or disabled but maybe a hardware one will ?
    Ok I’ll try it with the power supply removed Fingers crossed

4. Flying wheels

Ashley

On unit 1?

Functionally they are identical. Many installers prefer hardware burdens as they are visible.

Also, how are you connecting to the system from the PC? A network connection to the SHAC is the way to go here.

Ashley, Jul 11, 2021
  5. Flying wheels

Flying wheels

Yes the burden is on unit 1 ( not sure if it’s correct but I also have it at the end of the chain only have 1 c-bus cable plugged in that unit )

Sorry I’m only new to this. Can I actually use toolkit through the wiser over a network ? I have a USB in the pascal unit at this stage.
    Thanks

6. Flying wheels

Flying wheels

Ok I have kinda worked out how to get the wiser to work with network
    But when I try to access it through toolkit it won’t open , it managed to find it and even the amount of units on the network but won’t open
    Have included 2 pics. Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Flying wheels

Ashley

On the SHAC config page under CBus settings, have you ticked 'Enable CNI functionality'

Ashley, Jul 11, 2021
    Flying wheels likes this.
  8. Flying wheels

Flying wheels

Thanks will look at that tonight

9. Flying wheels

Flying wheels

H
    i yes I did have that enabled but still no go

Flying wheels, Jul 12, 2021
  10. Flying wheels

Ashley

So there is either a faulty unit or bad connection somewhere. Disconnect everything except the SHAC and dimmer and see if that works. Then add units back on one at a time.

It's also worth downloading the CBus diagnostic utility. It will give you more information and will run a stress test on the network.

Ashley, Jul 12, 2021
Ask a Question