Heatmiser & Coolmaster

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by LondonUK, Apr 24, 2018.

1. LondonUK

LondonUK

Hi all,

This is my first post but I am trying to remove control 4 from a new installation and replace with the NAC. The problem is I need to communicate with Heatmiser Thermostat systems which are used frequently in the UK. I also need to connect to a CoolMaster which will talk to the Daikin split AC units. Does anyone have any experience or resource in these two areas?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Darren

LondonUK, Apr 24, 2018
  2. LondonUK

DarylMc

If no one replies I’d ask Coolmaster directly if they know of anyone working on it.
    Same goes for the thermostat system.
    If you can’t find someone who has done it and can’t write the programming yourself I think it is going to be quite a task.

DarylMc, Apr 25, 2018
  3. LondonUK

LondonUK

Spoke to Heatmiser that have a central controller which works on RS232 and the same goes for the coolmaster device. The only problem is none of them have a clue about the NAC. What would you say is required to get the driver/software created so that we could take control of these units? Are we talking a week of coding ?

LondonUK, Apr 25, 2018
  4. LondonUK

DarylMc

That’s where you need someone with some experience to chime in.
    LUA is the language on the new automation controller.
    Some of the integration concepts will be CBus specific.
    Today is a holiday in Australia so maybe someone will see your post in the next few days.

DarylMc, Apr 25, 2018
  5. LondonUK

LondonUK

Exactly, know a few guys that do some pascal coding but no one that knows LUA.

Finding someone with the knowledge of LUA would be possible but its more trying to get someone that has the experience with CBUS to create the visuals and understand what each component is doing. Would you recommend I post my message some where else?

LondonUK, Apr 25, 2018
  6. LondonUK

DarylMc

Someone here should have a bit more info or know where to ask.

DarylMc, Apr 25, 2018
  7. LondonUK

ben addison

I know just the person for the job!

Or you could look at using RTI as there are for more installers around.

If you job is in italy then have you tried KNX.

Thanks

ben addison, Apr 26, 2018
  8. LondonUK

znelbok

The Coolmaster can also use MODBUS which is also implemented in the NAC. If this is the case then it is simple [maybe]. If doing a single A/C you can actually get away with just using a coolmaster CoolPlug as it communicates to the Coolmaster Hub via MODBUS and is documented on their website. (Up to 10 plugs can be connected to the hub). The Hub can be controlled via MODBUS IP

The Coolmaster also uses Ethernet so the NAC can send commands directly to it via Ethernet. This would probably be better than serial. The ASCII protocol is the same for both serial and TCP/IP.

Do a search as this has been discussed already here

znelbok, Apr 28, 2018
  9. LondonUK

LondonUK

znelbok, thanks for that yes I have found the posts. The coolmaster I have is an older model which is the 1000D that I do not think uses MODBUS but ASCII protocol over RS232 or USB. So this should work fine....

I have found a device called the Heatmiser Control Pad that can take control of 32 devices, here
    I managed to get the System Protocol document which show the the RS485 network for the thermostats. Would this sufficient to get connected to the NAC ?

Attached Files:

LondonUK, Apr 28, 2018
  10. LondonUK

znelbok

From meory, the protocol has never really changed for the Coolmaster range, the ASCII protocol should be easy to implement with the NAC. You could even use something like a GloblCache GC100 or iTach to "convert" to ethernet if they are physically too far away from each other.

As for the Heaatmiser, At the hardware level yes it can be connected as there is an RS485 port on the NAC. I dont know if the 485 port is limited to MODBUS only or if it can do ASCII or other.

The protocol would need to be seen by someone who knows the NAC better - you only linked to an image of the first page so there is no real detail there. You could also look at using an RS485/RS232 adapter as an option if you are limited to a protocol on the 485 bus.

znelbok, Apr 28, 2018
  11. LondonUK

Pie Boy

I Have successfully used the rs485 port on the SHAC for rs485 communication with other devices not just MODBUS
    the rs485 port can be used with any rs485 device, have a look at serial.open(device, parameters) in the lua scripting helpers also will need to change the port index to '/dev/RS485'

Pie Boy, Apr 30, 2018
Ask a Question