HDMI 4 x 4 Switcher

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by infin8, Jun 28, 2017.

1. infin8

infin8

Hi Members,

Looking at Shifting some AV equipment into a Rack then distributing it to Multiple Monitors.

I found this product http://www.altronics.com.au/p/a3522b-shinybow-4-in-to-4-out-hdmi-matrix-switcher/

I noticed it had an RS232 link.

Can this be used to send commands from Wiser or CBUS to switch inputs or send OR IR commands?

Would anyone else like to share some thoughts on allowing HDMI matrix to be controlled via Wiser?

many kind thanks in advance.

infin8, Jun 28, 2017
  2. infin8

NickD Moderator

Looks like you can control it from the RS232 interface.

To control from anything with an RS232 port (PAC, CTouch Colour, CTouch Mk2 w/ logic), you would just need to write the logic to send the commands when triggered from some user interface element.

To control from Wiser you would need an Ethernet-RS232 interface and then write the commands to it via the Logic socket commands.

Nick

NickD, Jun 28, 2017
  3. infin8

Ashley

I am currently using that exact device. I control it from a PC via a USB to serial device and it works fine. As Nick said, you just need a CBUS device with a serial port or a network to serial converter (I have used both successfully). The commands are simple ascii string that are easy to send from logic. The nice thing about that device is that it supports user defined EDID so it looks like there is always a monitor connected to each source so you don't get those annoying HDMI switching delays.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2017
    Ashley, Jun 28, 2017
  4. infin8

infin8

TCP/IP to RS232

Hi Gents, I have a Lantronix UDS1100 I could use.

Could I program in PICED, a command to be sent via IP which then sends to the UDS110, which in turn spits out in ASCII on the RS232 device connected to the Matrix Switcher?

Essentially all I really want to do is go between, 1,2,3,4

Are you saying you could switch to 1 and also send an IR code for the connected device plugged into 1?

In my CBUS network, I have a PCI, BW Touch Screen and the Wiser.

infin8, Jun 28, 2017
  5. infin8

Ashley

I generally use UDP for talking to network to serial devices because it doesn't require maintaining a connection. But since the Wiser only supports TCp you are stuck with that. You need to open a connection using the OpenClientSocket procedure. You can do this in the initialization section or for every command. To send a command just use the WriteClientSocket procedure. The UDS110 should handle everything else for you. Just remember the UDS110 can disconnect at any time so you need to check for this.

Assuming you have a Cbus IR blaster, certainly.

Ashley, Jun 28, 2017
  6. infin8

tobex

What advantages would this device have over COFDM modulators ?

tobex, Jun 29, 2017
  7. infin8

Ashley

Depends on the application. COFDM modulators assume you have a tuner (i.e. a TV) at the end. Projectors and displays don't. But COFDM has a much greater range (HDMI is limited to around 20M unless you use expensive repeaters). COFDM uses a lossy compression, HDMI is not compressed so potentially higher quality. HDMI switchers are generally a better solution for connecting local equipment, COFDM for distribution.

Ashley, Jul 6, 2017
  8. infin8

tobex

If someone will pay for the television which is good enough to resolve the quality difference in the picture, then the cost of the additional equipment is not an issue.

I am more inclined to go with the latest trend of setting up multiple DLNA streaming sources over Raspberry Pi. People have actually figured out a way to create streaming outputs and pump signals down TCP/IP.

Im very torn over "old school" solutions.

tobex, Jul 7, 2017
Ask a Question