GU10 LED dimmable in UK

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Opto, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Opto

Opto

I appreciate there has been a lot of interest GU10 LED's and the question may have already been answered.

However, I am unsure of the correct product names for compatible products in the UK - some of the threads refer to product lines I am not familiar with.

I am looking for warm white GU10 LED lamps compatible with standard (non-universal) dimmers 2A and 1A codes L5504D2A and L5508D1A.

Circuits currently have between 2 and 7 50W GU10 bulbs.

Ideally, the bulbs should fit in the holder and not protrude, but performance is important too.

Are there any products that work reliably and won't flicker when the dimmer is 'off'. Exact dimming curves are not too important but light output is. They will proably be run at full brightness most of the time anyway.

Thank you for any help.

Opto, Jan 16, 2013
  2. Opto

tobex

Try and find the OSRAM GU10. Bear in mind that balancing with capacitor may be necessary to avoid flickering when switched off.

Lamps with LED-driver tend to suffer much less from this flicker problem.

tobex, Jan 16, 2013
  3. Opto

Opto

Hi Tobex, thanks for your reply.

There seem to be a few Osram products lines in the UK - LED Superstar PAR, Parathom PAR, Parathom Pro PAR. Have you used any of these in particular and found them to work well?

What rating / type / size of capacitor would need to be used in these circuits to stop flicker while 'off' if there are between 2 to 7 of these lamps on a circuit?

Opto, Jan 21, 2013
  4. Opto

Opto

Any update on use of UK branded GU10 LED bulbs

Hi,

This is just a quick request to see if anyone has any further help they can offer regarding UK branded suitable GU10 leds?

Are there any UK CBus reps who can help?

Thanks.

Opto, Jan 23, 2013
  5. Opto

tobex

I have used Parathom Pro PAR. But they are no longer sold in Australia. I have moved across to the transformer version.

There is a calculation table and capacitance values table. How many are you installing ?

The capacitance has to add up to 300 on leading edge (older) dimmers.

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7450&highlight=osram

tobex, Jan 25, 2013
  6. Opto

lennyb

Opto, did you get anywhere with finding suitable LED bulbs in the UK? I'm hoping to use LEDs instead of GU10s.

lennyb, Feb 28, 2013
  7. Opto

ashields

try some first

We have 26 halogen gu10's in our living room, We tend to run them at about 30%-50% brightness.

We have so far tried samples from two different manufacturers (philips and ultraleds own brand) and although they work (on 1 amp dimmers, I've tried between 2 and 4 bulbs per channel), you need to dim them down to about 7% to get the same level of light as halogens at 40%, by that time they start to flicker (the philips ones where better in that respect due to not being so bright to start with)

Also although the warm white ones have a similar colour temperature to halogens at 100%, the halogens get distinctly more yellow as they are dimmed which doesn't happen with the LED's which further increases the impression of brightness.

We've decided to stick with the halogens at least for the living room, the LED's are probably fine for a kitchen or bathroom (or as my wife says a hospital) but they are just not cosy enough for a lounge area.

ashields, Mar 1, 2013
  8. Opto

ashleigh Moderator

You need these:

http://www.pierlite.com/au/82882/starburst-sunset-dim

These will run 2900K (warm white), and as you dim they change the colour gradually becoming more amber, until when very dim the colour is the similar orange to that of a dimmed halogen.

EDIT: Unsure if you can get these in the UK, though.

ashleigh, Mar 2, 2013
  9. Opto

Don

Nice little plug for a product in the C-Bus forum there Ashleigh, but it doesn't exactly fit in this discussion of GU 10 lamps. the connector on the back doesn't quite look right...
    ;)

Don, Mar 3, 2013
  10. Opto

ashleigh Moderator

Well, true, I'm not aware of any GU10 colour changing LED lights.

Mind you there is probably somebody flogging dodgy chinese no-name rubbish with low output :)

Of course, if you just want Halogen, I found this:

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retai...alogen-Globes/NELGU1040?catargetid=1402860417

Now, this is from an Australian store, and it is a Nelson product that you probably won't be able to buy Outside Australia (Nelson being a brand of HPM/Legrand). However what this does show is that the lamp makers are stepping up to higher efficiency halogens. So perhaps in the case of difficult installations or minimalist changes, the best approach is to do nothing much: just seek out better lamps on conventional technology. The longer you hang off, the more the conventional technology will be forced to play catch-up (you win), or the LED makers will get their dimming right and drop prices (again, you win).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2013
    ashleigh, Mar 3, 2013
  11. Opto

ashleigh Moderator

ashleigh, Mar 4, 2013
  12. Opto

Colin1142

I have just tested some from Harvey James Lighting, they are 10W outperform most other LED`s tested and the crucial bit, work with C-Bus leading edge dimmers. No flickering and a smooth dimming curve.

Colin1142, Mar 7, 2013
  13. Opto

lennyb

OK, they're not too far from me. What are their prices like, is it bulbs only or full lights you've tried?

lennyb, Mar 7, 2013
  14. Opto

Colin1142

They are a lamp with a driver and will fit in a GU10 fitting, they are quite tall though so you will need deep fire rated fittings if that is what you are using. Prices are what I would expect. I have also this week tested a couple of Ecostar 500+, these are a complete fitting with a driver and also work well, they are larger than GU10 and I have only had two on a dimmer channel so cant verify if larger quantities perform ok, they are also not as bright and cost a bit more than the Harvey James ones. Hope that helps.

Colin1142, Mar 8, 2013
  15. Opto

21stcenturyelec

Harvey James now do a all in one GU10, we have used Ben's stuff @ Harvey James for years.

21stcenturyelec, Feb 7, 2014
  16. Opto

lennyb

I've purchased 60+ Megaman warm white dimmable LEDs for all of my downlights. Initial test are good, they dim through a good range with no flickering. Once I have everything set up and programmed properly I'll report back with more details on their performance.

lennyb, Feb 7, 2014
  17. Opto

Matthew

Matthew, Feb 11, 2014
  18. Opto

Carrera

I have 400 of the megaman dimmable gu10 white (4000k) 6w. These have been running since January 2013 and I have been very pleased with the performance to date. They are running on 10 1amp 8 channel dimmers. I have placed no more than 5 bulbs per circuit.
    I have had 2 bulbs fail very early on. Would be interested in your review.

I am in the process of putting in a chandelier with 13 gu10s, same bulbs ( mad for one light fitting I know), but have planned to move that channel from a dimmer channel to a rely module as I have not idea how many lamps I can run on one dimmer channel????

Carrera, Feb 17, 2014
Ask a Question