Group 256 (FF)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave Byron, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

On a site today with a non clipsal device connected to the system and group 256 was used. When was toggled it turns on ALL groups which cause some unplanned actions.
    I thought at the SI meet someone from clipsal said it was impossible.

dave

Dave Byron, Aug 30, 2005
  2. Dave Byron

Newman

The "impossible" bit was probably related to the fact that C-Bus Input Units don't transmit C-Bus messages when they are assigned to the Unused Group Address, i.e. $FF or 255. They will still respond if they receive such a message however.

The Unused Group Address is what the Area Address is set to by default. What you would have been seeing is all C-Bus devices that have the Area Addressing set to "Unused" would be turning their groups On.

Newman, Aug 30, 2005
  3. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Newman
    your right - might have to a use a dummy group no as area address so the creston guys use my dummy it will do nothing

dave

Dave Byron, Aug 30, 2005
  4. Dave Byron

Richo

Using group $FF is not recommend and violates the design of the lighting application. This could have unwanted side effects in other C-Bus units beside the behaviour you have already observed.

Richo, Aug 30, 2005
Ask a Question