GPO Control with CBus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Qasim91, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Qasim91

Qasim91

Hi All,

I am a fresh engineer, recently someone suggested me using the Cbus system for remotely controlling power outlets. What I essentially want to do is to be able to measure the power flowing through each GPO, and according to some conditions, maybe cut the power off to that GPO, or just keep monitoring maybe.

How can this be possible using Cbus system?

Thanks

Qasim91, Oct 24, 2018
  2. Qasim91

Ashley

Easy. Use a Cbus relay to switch the GPO and a Current Measurement Unit to calculate the power.

Of course, whether that is the best solution depends on the actual application, it's size, permanence, and other criteria which you have not detailed.

Ashley, Oct 25, 2018
  3. Qasim91

Qasim91

What is the best solution or approach in your view? Its is about 400 GPOs, want all of them to be remotely monitored and controlled in terms of power consumption. This is because it is an off grid building, and want to use this as a load management technique when power production or storage is low.

Qasim91, Oct 25, 2018
  4. Qasim91

znelbok

znelbok, Oct 25, 2018
  5. Qasim91

Ashley

Individually controlling 400 power points for load management doesn't make much sense to me. Aside from the huge cost and difficulty in retrofitting to an existing building, how are you going to come up with a sensible algorithm to determine which loads to shed? This is a complex design issue and way beyond the scope of these forums.

Ashley, Oct 26, 2018
Ask a Question