Going to do it - 5500SHAC

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by impact, Feb 20, 2019.

1. impact

impact

I am tired of my small BW Mk II screen - was never happy with my Wiser and its functionality and connectivity - its time to move on...

So I like what I see with the 5500SHAC and have been following the threads here since its release... I just bought a Ring Elite (was always against the Ring - but gee was impressed with quality and ease of installation - it will do....)

While I try to find the best price for a 5500SHAC - and your welcome to PM me - I am trying to find an Android tablet and a nice mount for the wall...

I do want a minimum size of 10.5 so probably will try with a Samsung TAB S4 - I need some of the features of a good tablet for everything I want to do with it mounting on the wall.... and showing calendars amongst other things - touch screen for a pen... But I cant find a wall mount for a 10.5 device

Id even be happier with a larger size.... Got all excited when I saw the Dakboard - size, price, very nice display that is configurable - but no touch screen - wtf ?

So where can I find tablet mounts that look decent that are flush against a wall for slightly larger devices... Or is there a dedicated device I can use (not wanting Ipad - some of the software I want to try is android based)

impact, Feb 20, 2019
  2. impact

Damaxx

Depending on how much you enjoy tinkering, why not go a touchscreen and an Odroid board with your choice of Android OS. Or even a Udoo x86 board or a panel PC with x86 Android on it. They all have their pros and cons so, please do your research.

HDMI output on either means touchscreen of your choice.
    I used an iEi touchscreen that I purchased a long time ago (AU dollar was worth a bit more then...)

[​IMG]

I added a HiFi Shield to my Odroid C2 as the main music source for the house.
    Apps like Youtube, Spotify & Kodi means endless tunes as well as media control of the main lounge.

[​IMG]

Tileboard with homeassistant backend, along with cbus MQTT and you have a full house controller.

[​IMG]

Damaxx, Feb 21, 2019
    Ian likes this.
  3. impact

impact

I don't mind building my own android machine to run this... I am always tinkering... just thought it would be so easier to get a tablet - be done with it and move on... but a mounting solution seems problematic for larger devices.

Going your path offers more options - just got to find a nice looking touch screen - I don't want to mount it on a vesa sticking off the wall... Happy to have a square device 'stuck' hard against the wall or mounted flush to the wall with an appropriate surround... I assume your pic is of the screen with a custom made aluminium surround ?

BTW - Absolutely love what you have achieved....

impact, Feb 22, 2019
  4. impact

Damaxx

Cheers Impact.

I went down this path around 10 years ago, looking for a decent wall pc as tablets didn't have enough power at the time. Started off with a couple of fanless panel PC's with varied levels of success. A few years ago I come across the Odroid boards and couldn't be happier. The screen I have used is from iEi but they are expensive as $$$$ now. Chose that one as the frame is designed for panel mount

[​IMG]

Installed mine where the kitchen wall backs onto a cupboard to give me access to the back.
    Inside the cupboard installed a clip in valve access panel so I can get to the board if I need to.
    Gets the spousal tick of approval for neatness and usability. :D

Damaxx, Feb 22, 2019
Ask a Question