Glass fascia fallen off: fix or replace?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by MHLP, Jan 16, 2020.

1. MHLP

MHLP

Hi all,
    The glass fascia has fallen off one of our switches and miraculously didn’t break when it hit the wooden floor. The cream backing remains on the wall (peeled a bit though), with the see-through glass now separate. I’ve trying pushing it back on, but there are no clips to hold it in place, so it doesn’t stay there. I’m assuming that given the Glass fascia spare part (5085DF) requires a color selection, that normally the cream coloring is stuck to the glass, and that the cream backing is self adhesive to both the glass and then onto the switch on the wall?
    (Sorry if I haven’t explained this well, please see photos attached)
    I guess I could superglue the glass back on, but I’m worried this could affect the switch? Or am I best just buying a replacement glass fascia, and as I’ve asked above, does this just stick on... would I just scrape off the remaining cream film and stick it over the top?
    Thanks so much for reading, hopefully someone can advise. Cheers

Attached Files:

MHLP, Jan 16, 2020
  2. MHLP

Ashley

The glass has separated from the fascia. Never seen that before :(

The remaining part of the fascia unclips from the switch.

Best to just buy a replacement if you don't have a coronary at the cost.

You could remove the fascia from the switch and glue the glass back on but it looks a bit worse for wear.

Ashley, Jan 16, 2020
    MHLP likes this.
  3. MHLP

MHLP

Thanks so much Ashley for replying. Looks like we might have to shell out the cash and buy a new one. There’s another couple in the house looking like the same thing might happen to them too (can see the cream part cracked behind the glass), so might get costly . Just to clarify, does the black part unclip from the wall? Thanks

MHLP, Jan 16, 2020
  4. MHLP

Ashley

Yes the back part unclips. There a four clips. 2 on each side near the top and bottom. Just ease one off with a flat screwdriver on one side near the top and it should pop off. They can be a bit tight

Ashley, Jan 16, 2020
    MHLP likes this.
  5. MHLP

MHLP

Thanks again Ashley , really appreciate your reply’s. I’ll give it a go, would be nice to be able to replace without having to call out an electrician. Although, at some stage we will need to get an electrician out as there a few things not working properly in other parts of the house (system was already in place when we bought the house & we think the C-BUS system is about 10 years old). Do you have any suggestions for an electrician in Melbourne? Thanks again

MHLP, Jan 16, 2020
  6. MHLP

chromus

You don't need an electrician to do the lightswitch, if you carefully read the guide it's all ELV and safe to work with.

The relays and dimmers are another matter and hopefully someone can guide you to a qualified sparky

chromus, Jan 16, 2020
    MHLP likes this.
  7. MHLP

MHLP

Thanks Chromus. I’ll have a go at the replacement then. We’ve got a couple of switches that should operate but don’t work eg ensuite should be able to be turned on at bedroom door, but it doesn’t work, switch inside en-suite does work, hence not urgent to fix. It would be nice to find a local electrician who is familiar with C-bus, so these little glitches can be fixed one day.

MHLP, Jan 16, 2020
  8. MHLP

chromus

As long as you have a USB/TCP interface on the network to program the new switches with it shouldn't be too hard.

chromus, Jan 16, 2020
    MHLP likes this.
  9. MHLP

Conformist

This issue you are having is most unusual. I haven't ever seen one do this (as Ashley has also said). Is someone cleaning them maybe with a solvent (spray and wipe or a disinfectant?) that might be causing this to happen?? If it was just one, I could probably dig one up for you form my box of bits but it looks like there might be a bigger problem.

Conformist, Jan 17, 2020
    MHLP likes this.
  10. MHLP

MHLP

Hello conformist, thanks for your reply. I’ve looked over all the house with a close eye and it is just 2 (out of 28) that need the fascia replaced. Good thought re the solvent etc, but I don’t use anything on them except the very occasional wipe with a dry cloth if needed (I guess previous owners might have used a solvent, but we’ve been here now for 3 years). We think the 2 that are damaged is because one sits in direct sunlight most of the day and the other is under the split system air con. which we use for both heating and cooling. I think the heat has dried up the cream paint and that’s what’s caused the glass to come off. The house was built in 2006/2007, so I guess it’s taken 13/14 years to get to this state. I’ve attached the photo of the other one that’s on its last legs, you can see the cream paint has cracked. All the others in the house look new ‍♀️

Attached Files:

MHLP, Jan 17, 2020
  11. MHLP

MHLP

Hi Conformist, if you do happen to have a couple in your box, please let me know how I can contact you and find out a price. Many thanks, and kind regards

MHLP, Jan 17, 2020
    Conformist likes this.
  12. MHLP

Conformist

I'll check. I think they would only be the ocean mist colour though

Conformist, Jan 18, 2020
  13. MHLP

GlenF

Hi all,

Just for info, I have had a few saturn switches do this as well. It is almost certainly the direct sunlight. Like MHLP, mine only took about 3 years to completely degrade.

Glen

GlenF, Feb 2, 2020
  14. MHLP

bmerrick

Am I the only one who thinks the 'Clear Glass' fascia looks cool? How about a clear glass eDLT fascia :p

Perhaps that's why many of my Raspberry Pis are in clear cases.

Clear Glass Fascia.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    bmerrick, Feb 3, 2020
    MHLP likes this.
  15. MHLP

MHLP

Thanks Glen for letting us know. I ended up sticking thin cream card to the glass. Looks ok.

MHLP, Feb 9, 2020
  16. MHLP

Mr Mark

Just a thought, could you use a photo as the background under the glass?

Mr Mark, Feb 10, 2020
  17. MHLP

GlenF

Might give that a try

GlenF, Feb 12, 2020
Ask a Question