GIU 5504GI network traffic when direct messaging

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Ianr, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Ianr

Ianr

Hi All,

A couple of things firstly, reading throught the previous threads on GIU's it mentions that people have quite a few issues trying to upload the GIU parameters from the network i.e. goes to about 3% and then kind of stops. I have found that this is usually to do with the polarity of the 24V AC supply, try swapping the polarity around and it usually fixes the problem.

Secondly, I am using a GIU in conjunction with a PACA for load shedding purposes and broadcast a direct level which the PACA then uses. This seems to put a lot of traffic on the network. I have tried playing around with the 'Rate in Seconds' and 'Percentage Change' within the actual Channels tab and the 'Minimum Time between Broadcasts' and 'Direct Level Sampling Rates' in the Global tab. None of these appear to have had any impact on the actual traffic broadcast from the GIU.

Is there anything that I am not aware of that will reduce this traffic and is anything being done to address this. I know that the values can be set in the general input unit but it is easier to measure and configure on the laptop and then download into the PACA. Also if this is set up in Schedule Plus or a Colour Touchscreen the end user can change the load shedding values without having to get us in to change the GIU parameters.

Ianr, Apr 12, 2007
  2. Ianr

RatDeSewer

Hi Ian,

Not sure about your first problem. The GIU uses a diode bridge on the input, so I wouldn't have thought that swapping power connections should do anything (apart from resetting the cpu, when power is restored).

As for direct level, the amount of data it spews out is dependent on 2 things:
    1. The hysteresis setting - direct level won't send anything if the input level has moved less than the hysteresis value since the last send.
    2. The direct level timer - this is how often it checks if it should send.

If you're getting a lot of traffic, try increasing hysteresis a little.

Other settings, e.g. broadcast, have no effect on direct level, but may have an effect on traffic in general.

Any other suggestions on how you'd like direct level to work would be welcome and be reviewed for any future releases.

Cheers

RDS

RatDeSewer, Apr 13, 2007
  3. Ianr

Ianr

Hi,

Thanks for your input I will try adjusting the hysteresis.

You mentioned the Direct Level Timer where can this be found?? under which tab (global or channel).

Would it be possible to include more information with the GIU literature included in the box or is there more information regarding this unit online somewhere.

I had initially thought that the Direct Sampling Rate and Minimum Time between Broadcasts under the Global tab would have reduced the amount of network traffic but these appeared to have no effect. What do these settings impact upon.

Ianr, Apr 15, 2007
  4. Ianr

RatDeSewer

Hi Ian,

The Direct Level Timer and Direct Sampling Rate are the same thing just software peoples naming versus hardware. Broadcast settings have no effect on Direct Level.

There is information as part of Toolkit's help and there is online help at the Clipsal website (http://caweb.clipsal.com/cis/__data/page/2859/5504gi.pdf).

If you need more help speak to our cheerful, smiling Tech Support staff.

Cheers

RDS

RatDeSewer, Apr 16, 2007
  5. Ianr

abg

GUI 5504GI AC connection

Just thought I'd add to Ian's post above. I had exactly the same problem. The unit appeared on the network scan but couldn't be loaded for programming. Switched the AC connection polarity and all is fine. Very strange.

Andrew

abg, Dec 15, 2008
  6. Ianr

ICS-GS

i recall reading something about the 'order' of turning things on, i have also expererienced this problem very early on in an install, from what i recall the network needs to be 'powered' before the aux supply to the GIU.

Cheers

Grant

ICS-GS, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question