Getting the level of a Shutter relay

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by 2SC, Mar 13, 2013.

1. 2SC

2SC

The shutter relay has the ability to be ramped to a specific position ie ramped to 50% means that it is half opened.
    However is there a way to get the exact position of a shutter if it was moved with standard toggle open stop - close stop commands?

2SC, Mar 13, 2013
  2. 2SC

2SC

I didn't get an reply and I am wondering if I was misunderstood.

My question is: Is there a way to get the exact position of a shutter when shutter relay is used?

2SC, Mar 15, 2013
  3. 2SC

Ashley

I far as I have been able to figure out if you use the toggle commands there is no way of knowing the shutter position. This seems like a huge design flaw to me as there is no way of enunciating the shutter position on a screen etc. I ended up writing a pile of logic to overcome this. Basically the logic intercepts the toggle commands and converts them to absolute position commands which are forwarded to the shutter relay. In this way the shutter relay GA always reflects the true position of the shutter.

The logic also fixes the other inadequacies of the shutter relay. It provides logic interlocking so for example if a window is open the blind won't close, or if it gets too windy an awning will automatically close. The logic will also synchronise multiple shutters when triggered via toggle commands in a scene.

I can post the logic if you like, but it's not trivial.

Hopefully shutter relay V2 will be a bit smarter.

Ashley, Mar 15, 2013
  4. 2SC

Don

the shutter relay models the shutter position based on the time that the relays are closed relative to the "fail safe" time
    If the fail safe time matches the time the shutter takes to traverse its full range and if the travel is at a constant speed, then the internal model will be accurate.

When not using the 'level translate' mode, the C-Bus group level is the same as the position, relative to the full range, i.e. if the level is 25% of full range, the shutter is 25% from the closed position.

In level translate mode, the shutter position is not immediately apparent from the network, so the internal level can be found with the "terminal level identify" CAL command (which all C-Bus output units can respond to). CAL commands are point-to-point commands and can be used to discover the current value of various unit parameters, such as unit type, network voltage (this is how Toolkit can read unit type, network voltage, etc. for each unit) and of course in this case, the relative shutter position.

While these 'identify' commands are very useful, their use is normally restricted to commissioning time, and the format of the returned data may depend upon the unit type.

For future products, it is likely that we will be able to improve on this through the introduction of new status report style commands. If you need more details on the use of the 'identify' command for the shutter relay, please PM me.

Don, Mar 16, 2013
Ask a Question