Getting c bus taken out

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harcster, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Harcster

Harcster

how can I get my c bus comfort system ect taken out. I had it installed 10 years ago, it cost me a fortune and it’s rubbish , I didn’t realise all my switches don’t have electric to them . At the moment one pad says I have a fault and my door bell isn’t ringing it’s a continual buzz and my phone line is blocked. I’m so fed up I want it taken out and ordinary switches ect put in. Help please

Harcster, Nov 25, 2018
  2. Harcster

lcrowhurst

Where are you located?

lcrowhurst, Nov 25, 2018
  3. Harcster

Harcster

Rochester Kent

Harcster, Nov 25, 2018
  4. Harcster

NickD Moderator

The system certainly isn't rubbish.. it sounds like you have been let down by whoever designed or installed your system.

There are a few UK based guys on here, so hopefully one of them can fix it for less than it would cost to take out and rewire.

Nick

NickD, Nov 26, 2018
  5. Harcster

lcrowhurst

Agree with Nick, sounds like a bad install. Comfort isn’t Cbus , it’s an alarm panel , and the intercom is from another company as well . They would have been intergrated with the cbus. Unfortunately I’m in Australia ( although I did live in Chatham while I was going to uni)

As nick said it will be far cheaper to get things setup right , than have the whole system ripped out. There is also a whole load of new intergration stuff come out over the last ten years.

lcrowhurst, Nov 26, 2018
  6. Harcster

Hibashi

I also wanted to pull out mine but this is what I feared. Can someone guesstimate how much would it cost to rip it out completely btw?

Hibashi, Dec 17, 2018
  7. Harcster

MichaelD

To take out the C-Bus system, and replace it with a conventional mains voltage system you're talking about a lot of work.

It means channelling the walls to install mains voltages wires to every switch in the house, then if you use a typical UK electrician, they will want to install new mains wires to every light fitting, probably a new consumer unit, then redecorating everywhere. Depending on the size of the house, the cost could be the wrong side of £10,000, plus all the mess and disruption of getting it done and redecorated everywhere.

As lcrowhurst said, you have two different systems running in the house, C-Bus2 that works all the lights, and a Comfort system that does the alarm, doorbell, and intercom. It sounds like there is a fault with the Comfort system, that would explain the doorbell and phone problems. If your lights are all switching on and off correctly, then your C-Bus2 stuff is all working OK.

MichaelD, Dec 17, 2018
  8. Harcster

71monaro

What would be the better option than full removal, is to cut back the Cbus system to just to the light control. Removing any interfaces to door bells, phones and the Alarm system. leaving just the wall switches and the relays. This will then leave you with a robust solution without complication that is simple to program, and you do not have to do a whole rewire. Then have a stand alone door bell and alarm fitted.

71monaro, Dec 18, 2018
    Harcster likes this.
  9. Harcster

Harcster

Is there somewhere I can just unplug the comfort or will I need someone to take it out ?

Harcster, Dec 18, 2018
  10. Harcster

MichaelD

Inside or around the Comfort cabinet there should be an additional board that provides the Comfort/C-Bus2 interface. If it was done correctly, there should be a pink network cable attached to that board, if you disconnect that cable then your C-Bus2 system will be able to work independently.

The pink cable will either be plugged into the board, unplugging should be easy, or there will be two small screws holding the inner wires. Undo the screws, pull the wires out, wrap insulating tape round them to stop them touching each other, and you're done.

Its all very safe, the wires only carry very low current, there isn't enough to hurt anyone so its OK to touch the bare wires. Don't do that with any mains cables that might be in the cabinet !

MichaelD, Dec 19, 2018
Ask a Question