General Input Unit Question

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by abg, May 14, 2009.

1. abg

abg

I have a GIU which measures water level in an underground tank. All works fine. What I am finding, however, is that if I restart C-Gate no readings come from the GIU until it is powered off and back on again.

Is this normal or is there some setting in the GIU/C-Gate that needs tweaking?

Thanks

Andrew

abg, May 14, 2009
  2. abg

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Andrew,

My guess is that after you restarted C-Gate, the levels had not changed and the GIU felt no need to emit them again.

If you restart C-Gate, and *then* trigger a change in the level (add or remove water) do the messages come through?

Also, if you can expand a little more on how you're using C-Gate - running Schedule Plus? Homegate? or something else? we may be able to achieve a solution.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
    daniel, May 14, 2009
  3. abg

ashleigh Moderator

If you do as Daniel suggests and find that the unit transmits an update when the water level changes then we know its doing what it is meant to.

The general input unit setup allows you to set an update / re-transmit time. This is the time interval at which updates will be sent it they don't change.

It also has a threshold (cant remember what its called exactly). This is the amount by which the measurement has to change, in order for an update to be sent (and this update will be sent instead of the regular "I'm here and its BLAH" updates as described above).

And finally, I'm 80% sure you can set the general input unit up so that a cbus trigger control command will cause an update to be emitted as well.

ashleigh, May 14, 2009
  4. abg

ICS-GS

just off topic...

there "was" (not sure if it's fixed) an issue with the GIM units aux power supply needing to be turned ON before the c-bus network is powered up. Or it could be the other way around (network before aux power supply).

Just in case this helps

Cheers

Grant

ICS-GS, May 14, 2009
  5. abg

abg

Thanks for the feedback. FYI, I'm using HomeGate with C-gate running on a different computer. There is no problem with the normal updating - if the water level changes the reading changes. It's only if the computer running C-Gate is restarted (followed of course by the HomeGate compute being restarted) that the results weren't updating.

I understand that to the GIU the values haven't altered so it probably isn't informing C-Gate but given C-Gate does a sync when starting to find the status of all other units, I'd thought it would also query the GIU for it's current channel values.

I have found a way around this - I had the "Enabled Broadcasting on the Measurement Application" turned on with a setting of 30 secs and 'Value Change of 1% and with 'Hysteresis Filter' enabled BUT if I change the 'Value Change' to 0% and turn off the hysteresis filter then the readings update after c-gate has been restarted.

My only worry with this is that too many messages would be sent out, since there is no 'filter' for minor fluctuations but assuming that setting the update to 30 secs means no more frequently than every 30 secs it might be ok.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009
    abg, May 15, 2009
  6. abg

Thanks Andrew. I have recorded this as a feature request for C-gate in our system (#16877).

daniel, May 15, 2009
  7. abg

Hi abg,

If it helps, there is currently a way to programmatically refresh the values from the C-Gate command-line:

(assuming network 254, PC_GIM at address 5)

PROJECT USE MYPROJ
    200 OK.

get 254/p/5/* RawValue
    300-//MYPROJ/254/p/5/1: RawValue=-1
    300-//MYPROJ/254/p/5/2: RawValue=-1
    300-//MYPROJ/254/p/5/3: RawValue=-1
    300 //MYPROJ/254/p/5/4: RawValue=-1

do 254/p/5 ReadRawValues
    202 Done: //MYPROJ/254/p/5

get 254/p/5/* RawValue
    300-//MYPROJ/254/p/5/1: RawValue=1
    300-//MYPROJ/254/p/5/2: RawValue=169