General Input Unit Power Supply

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by JasonY00, Sep 13, 2023.

1. JasonY00

JasonY00

Hello,

I am moving things around in an install and wanting to do away with as many wall plug supplies as possible. I have a couple of General Input Units that have their own 24V wall plug power supplies. I would like do away with these and supply 24V DC to both of these units from a Meanwell DIN Rail 10A supply that is providing power for other items.

My question is: Is the 24V/10A Meanwell supply too much for the input power rating/heat dissipation of the General Input Unit such that it will let the “magic blue smoke out”, or is it robust enough to withstand such a power supply long term. I can only find input voltage specs of 6-27V AC/DC in the installation documentation and nothing with reference to the maximum input current/power.

A bit of an esoteric question, but destructive testing is not my preferred option.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Jason

JasonY00, Sep 13, 2023
  2. JasonY00

Ashley

Devices only draw whatever current they require. Providing you have the correct voltage supply and the current capacity of the power supply is at least what the devices maximum draw is, that is all that matters. Just make sure the total current requirements of all the devices connected to the power supply is less than 10 amps and you will be fine.

Note that in doing this you will be connecting all the common -ve and +ve rails of the devices together. Normally this is ok, but some device require isolated supplies. You will need to determine this for each device.

Ashley, Sep 13, 2023
  3. JasonY00

JasonY00

Thanks Ashleigh,

I really appreciate your response. I have no idea of the specs of the units so I didn’t want to provide a supply 20x greater in current than the wall plug supplied with the unit.

Thanks again.

Jason

JasonY00, Sep 13, 2023
Ask a Question