General Input/Auxiliary Input and 240Vac

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hursamir, Feb 4, 2010.

1. hursamir

hursamir

I study Smart Home Tech. at Uni and have to provide solution for a project. I decided to follow C-bus tech, however, I do not understand difference between general and auxiliary input units. Can I connect 240V ac sensor (water level sensor to measure lake level) to the C-bus? If so, should I connect it to the general or auxiliary input? I was reading specification many times but still do not understand it. :confused:

hursamir, Feb 4, 2010
  2. hursamir

NickD Moderator

They are completely different beasts.

The auxiliary input unit just takes dry contact inputs and treats them like switches. It's basically the same as a bus-coupler with isolated inputs, so you can run the wiring to the switches further.

The general input unit is a far more sophisticated device, which can interface to a variety of different sensors, and generate different kinds of messages on C-Bus.

You can't hook 240Vac directly to any C-Bus input.

I would be surprised if the output of this sensor was 240V ac (unless it's a simple level switch). If you give us some more info about the particular sensor we may be able to help more.

Nick

NickD, Feb 4, 2010
  3. hursamir

hursamir

hursamir, Feb 4, 2010
  4. hursamir

Darpa

That sensor is basically a simple switch.

It's specs say that it's contacts are RATED at UP TO 1A @ 240v AC.

That doesn't mean that it requires that to operate, it can simply switch up to that in and out of the circuit.

Connecting to a GIU, AIU, or bus coupler would be fine, as you're simply opening and closing the circuit, with negligible current or volts involved.

Darpa, Feb 4, 2010
  5. hursamir

hursamir

I have one more question to be sure that understood correctly. I found ultrasonic analog sensor here: http://www.deeterelectronicsinc.com/usa_rps-401a-426a.htm
    In that case assuming that values send by sensor will differ depends on water level I have to use general input unit. Am I right? The sensor operates on input voltage 20 - 30 VDC
    so do I need provide additional voltage to the sensor or by connecting it to the GUI I will automatically provide the C-bus 24Vdc? Wouldn't be enough to connect it to the bus coupler?
    Still have a little mess with it.

hursamir, Feb 11, 2010
  6. hursamir

Newman

It looks like those sensors have both 4-20mA and 0-10V outputs. By connecting these to a General Input Module you'll have lots of flexibility.

The General Input Unit itself requires 24V to operate, so you could share the 24V supply with the sensors, saving you the cost and complexity of a second power source.

The General Input unit will not automatically provide power to the sensor, you'll need to run power to the sensor yourself. The General Input unit has a 24Vdc output connection for just such a purpose.

If you're using these sensors to measure water level, a bus coupler is not suitable for a few reasons:
    - The bus coupler inputs are not isolated, so the isolation of the whole C-Bus network would be compromised
    - The bus coupler inputs are only on/off inputs and cannot detect analogue values
    - The bus coupler cannot provide any power to the sensor

Newman, Feb 11, 2010
  7. hursamir

hursamir

Thank you very much. Now I catch it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
    hursamir, Feb 12, 2010
  8. hursamir

Bill

Bill, Mar 14, 2011
Ask a Question