Gas Solenoid

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Phoneman, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Phoneman

Phoneman

Does anyone have experience in playing with Gas Solenoids and connecting them up to CBus or Minder?

Any brand come to mind?

I have an outdoor alfresco area and would like to have an indication on the touchscreen or even a timer to ensure the gas and exhaust fans outdoors are not left on after a few lemonades.

Phoneman, Jan 9, 2007
  2. Phoneman

ashleigh Moderator

Suggest that you find a solenoid with a dry contact output that tells you the REAL state, rather than the state you think it might be in by sensing power/non-powered. Then just feed that into a bus coupler.

no idea if such a beast is available - but it should be.... go hunting.

ashleigh, Jan 10, 2007
  3. Phoneman

RossW

I use gas solenoids for my primary and backup generator sets, both controlled in a manner similar to what you describe.

If I understand correctly, you would "enable" the system before use, and explicitly turn it OFF from inside when not in use?

Depending on your exact use, you may have problems finding a low pressure valve though, and I do all my switching at high pressure (in one case, at full cylinder pressure - about 1100 KPA, in the other case at a pre-regulated 100 KPA). Both these run on Propane/LPG.

In both my cases, I use certified "fuel valves" - your easiest source will be an automotive gas conversion person, as these valves are generally mounted right at the inlet to the converter/regulator. A c-bus voltage-free relay can easily switch the 700mA odd at 12V the coil requires.

If you are running on "town gas", I think it is distributed throught the house at about 3 KPA - good luck getting electric valves for this!

RossW, Jan 11, 2007
  4. Phoneman

rhamer

What about the valves that shut off the gas to the fancy gas cooktops if it detects the flame has gone out.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jan 12, 2007
  5. Phoneman

rirvine

rirvine, Jan 13, 2007
  6. Phoneman

richms

Those are usually just a thermally activated bulb sitting in the flame that keeps the valve turned on, thats why you have to hold them in for a couple of seconds after turning on.

richms, Jan 14, 2007
Ask a Question