Future Saturn Product Features??

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Andy@Mandoon, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Andy@Mandoon

Andy@Mandoon

With all the questions about future products, thought I might add my own:

I notice the new wireless Saturn switches have a "Double Click" key press in the software.

Q1. Will that be back ported to the wired Saturn key switches?
    Q2. Will it be possible to upgrade the firmware of the current Saturn switches?
    (In situ maybe??)
    Q3. If the feature will only be available on newly purchased switches, is their a rough timeline for their release?

This is particularly important to me because I am about to order a batch of Saturn switches!

Thanks in advance for any info,
    Andy.

Andy@Mandoon, Jan 5, 2005
  2. Andy@Mandoon

ashleigh Moderator

One day, maybe...

No.

Don't hold your breath.

ashleigh, Jan 6, 2005
  3. Andy@Mandoon

Andy@Mandoon

Add another to the wishlist!

Ashleigh,

Thanks for the info.

I guess I can only implore Duncan and the team to put upgrading the wired Saturn switches on the roadmap. [Hint Hint Duncan]

The "Double click" would be very useful. I am controlling network audio players, an extra action on a button could reduce the button count significantly.

Andy.

PS. Any chance of a roadmap for the products (hardware and software) being published here??? (Us software developers could tailor our own roadmaps a little better.)

Andy@Mandoon, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Andy@Mandoon

Duncan

Not my area :) My 'software' focus is purely related to Desktop Software.. All the right people including Ashleigh read the forums though!

Duncan, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Andy@Mandoon

ashleigh Moderator

Its on the roadmap already.
    Roadmaps tend to be internal things, because if we publish to a wider forum and cannot deliver (or delay delivery) we end up with some very disappointed customers. And our roadmaps usually have some pretty aggressive dates on them :D

ashleigh, Jan 8, 2005
  6. Andy@Mandoon

tigsdad

Saturn Firmware

Going back to question 2 in the original post re upgrading Saturn firmware,

I have just had quite a few of these installed in my new house (2 and 4 gang with DLTs wherever I wanted more) and half have firmware 1.26 and the other have 1.50. The 1.50 can have the LEDs changed to blue but the 1.26 ones can't and it seems coincidental that the tab to do it isn't available in 1.26 but is in 1.50. Does this mean I have to return the 1.26 firmware ones and get them replaced by 1.50 ones so I can have all my switches look the same?

Surely there's a way to get them all behaving the same?

Regards,

Bob

tigsdad, Aug 11, 2005
  7. Andy@Mandoon

Newman

Bob

Firstly, neither of the exact firmware verisons you mention actually exist, but I can infer what you're getting at. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

By firmware 1.26 you mean firmware 1.2.67. This is the firmware used in 2000 series switches in 1, 2 and 4 button configurations.

By firmware 1.50 you mean firmware 1.5.00. This is the firmware used in Ulti Saturn for 2, 4 and 6 button configurations.

The 2000 series switches do not have the capability to select the indicator colour. It is, and always will be, a single colour. Most are orange (non-Learn units with firmware 1.00 have red indicators) however 2000 series switches with blue indicators can be ordered as a custom/special product. There is no hardware or firmware support for multiple colours and due to the mechanicals of how the units go together you will always be stuck with a single colour only.

The Ulti Saturn switches (and Neo for that matter) have the ability for the user to select the indicator colour, either Blue or Orange. These products have always had this capability.

DLT products have only Blue indicators.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2005
    Newman, Aug 11, 2005
  8. Andy@Mandoon

tigsdad

Newman,

Thanks for the reply. Just goes to show how flaky my memory is :)

You are exactly correct about the version numbers. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the ADSL connection to the new house I've just occupied where these are installed so I sent the post from work and didn't wait to go home and check the numbers.

The units I'm talking about are all Saturn 2 and 4 gang units. I'm unclear what the "ulti" refers to as I have seen references to the saturn switches with and without "Ulti" mentioned. Is there a difference? The electrician who did the installs claims they were all ordered together and at a quick glance they appear to be the same units. He did a pretty standard install which left all the LEDs as default orange/yellow and I used the toolkit to make them blue to match the DLTs. When I found I couldn't change a number of them I looked at firmware versions, with the outcome I mentioned at the start of my previous post.

It looked to me as if the wholesaler had some units with the 1.2.67 firmware on the shelf and topped up with newer ones with 1.5.00 firmware but that still leaves me with a mismatch. Since the saturn Units were ordered specifically so we could have the blue LEDs, I need to sort this out and a firmware upgrade seemed to be the obvious answer.

The literature I've seen on the saturn switches states that they can be switched between blue and yellow LEDS, which is what you've put in your reply. It starts to look to me as if either I'm missing something when using the toolkit or I have several switches with a bug that prevents me seeing the tab to allow the LED colour to be changed from the Toolkit.

I'll see if anyone else can shed light on this or contact CIS directly for help.

Thanks,

Bob

tigsdad, Aug 12, 2005
  9. Andy@Mandoon

Newman

Bob

The Ulti name represents the Saturn style look. The Saturn name applies specifically to the Glass finished versions. Other parts of Clipsal around the world have done products that look like Saturn but have plastic finishes. They use the Ulti (insert name here) look. The addition of the Ulti prefix to the Saturn switches is purely intended to create some international harmony for Clipsal products around the world.

Saturn switches have only ever had 1 firmware version, that being 1.5.00. I can not conceive how you possibly may have Saturn switches with any other firmware version. As such, a firmware upgrade is not really applicable. Every Saturn switch ever made has always supported dual colour indicators.

If you, by some remote chance, have Saturn units with firmware version 1.2.67 in them then you're the unfortunate recipient of a foul up in the factory somewhere and I'd be suprised that the units work at all. I think that this would be highly unlikely.

To check this out can you please record the unit type (8-character name in the browser, probably KEYB4, KEY4 etc) for the units that don't allow you to set the colour of the indicators and post that up here. Another check for firmware is that the Saturn units allow Scenes to be programmed for a key whereas 1.2.67 firmware does not.

Please also make sure that all your switches are Saturn style and that there aren't some 2000 series switches lurking around somewhere.

Newman, Aug 12, 2005
  10. Andy@Mandoon

tigsdad

Egg on face

Apologies eveyone. It turns out, as Newman suggested, that I did have more 2000 switches lurking in corners of my house than I realised. When I tracked down all the units that had different firmware they were indeed 2000 ones (garage, basement, a couple that were wrongly installed where saturns should have gone etc etc.)

So, I was way off the mark. Thanks for those who tried to respond to my inane ravings. Your advice and information was spot on. Once I've finished moving in and catch up on sleep I should be a bit more rational (I hope).
    :eek:

tigsdad, Aug 15, 2005
  11. Andy@Mandoon

Newman

Bob, glad that you got to the bottom of things eventually. Happy to help.

These sorts of things always wind up being educational exercises anyway!

Newman, Aug 16, 2005
Ask a Question