Flickering lights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by L.A.F, Feb 23, 2018.

1. L.A.F

L.A.F

Hey all,

I’ve recently been contacted by a new client that has a cbus system around 8 years old cbus2.

They had a faulty 8 channel dimmer unit which had failed.
    So we replaced it with a universal dimmer and made a template of the old dimmer and saved it onto the new dimmer.
    Fixed problem.
    Until now for some reason the existing led down lights in one bedroom only, flicker when the switch is off. There are 4 Down lights on the channel being switched.

So I installed a load correction device on the channel. They are fine for an hour or so then start flickering.
    So I changed the switch wire to a spare channel and reprogrammed and that has fixed the problem.
    Now the client has called and said that the next bedroom has started doing it. Two days after I fixed the first problem
    This is on the same dimmer as well.

The lights were not doing this on the old dimmer unit.
    Any help would be appreciated cheers.

L.A.F, Feb 23, 2018
  2. L.A.F

DarylMc

You changed from leading edge to universal dimmer so results won’t be the same.
    Actually I would have thought the universal dimmer might perform better.

Consider why you were called out to replace a blown dimmer in the first place.

Back in the days of electronic halogen transformers they needed to be carefully selected for each dimmer channel.
    LEDs introduce more potential problems including flashing in the off state.

For a start you should identify each LED fitting and see what type of dimmer leading or trailing edge the manufacturer specifies.
    Use that type.
    See if they have specs or will recommend it for use on CBus dimmers.
    min max per channel for each type of dimmer and any test results.

Companies like Pierlite and others supply specs for CBus dimmers.
    Using suitable LEDs with specs could well save the customer from blown dimmers and will definitely save you from return visits to deal with flickering lights.

DarylMc, Feb 23, 2018
  3. L.A.F

L.A.F

Thanks DarylMc,

Further inspection of the existing lights that the client replaced himself are sal trailing edge drivers.
    We replaced like for like of the existing dimmer unit and have noticed that they are leading edge.
    Abit of a novice mistake on our behalf but I have assured the client that we are new to the system and he is happy with us....

Further more this seems the cause of the existing dimmer to fail?
    Also would this be the usual characteristics of crossing the 2,leading with trailing
    Thanks again

L.A.F, Feb 23, 2018
  4. L.A.F

DarylMc

@L.A.F
    Every 8 channel CBus din rail dimmer is leading edge so this is easy to identify.
    4 channel CBus din rail dimmers are available in leading edge or universal so you need to check.
    The dimmable light fittings attached should be of a type to suit the dimmer type.

There is a number of other considerations which I won’t go into right now.
    You can search the forums and CBus product manuals for lots more info.

The reason I mention Pierlite LED downlights on this forum so often is they can provide all the specs you need for both types of CBus dimmers, are going to give a predictable outcome, great dimming results and peace of mind for the installer.

DarylMc, Feb 25, 2018
  5. L.A.F

Matthew

no, but then the dimmer died....
    The client has caused the issue by installing Trailing edge LED's on a leadign edge dimmer.
    Also there are minimum loading issues to consider, and these are higher on the Universal dimmer.
    Lumitex LED downlights work very well with the C-Bus universal dimmers too.
    https://lumitex.com.au/category/categories/downlights-cat/

Matthew, Feb 25, 2018
Ask a Question