Firing scenes from a Ness M1G??

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by fleetz, Aug 29, 2006.

1. fleetz

fleetz

I am trying to fire a scene from a Ness M1G panel to no avail. I believe I have followed the bouncing ball basically here is what I have done.

I have a scene programmed in a Neo 8 key unit, I can enable the scene no problem from the key assigned to scene. However if I try and fire the scene from the M1G no go!

I have the group address that has been used with the scene loaded in the M1G lighting set up. I can switch and or dim lights from the M1G however the scene group will not fire.

Is there any issue with the Neo or have I missed something in the set up.

Thanks,

Fleetz

fleetz, Aug 29, 2006
  2. fleetz

jr_away

fleetz, Is your c-bus device plugged into a serial expander or the main controller board? And what address number are you using for the scene?

jr_away, Aug 29, 2006
  3. fleetz

fleetz

I have tried group addresses 1, 3, 5, 6, 120 and 250.

I am currently using the serial expander port not Comm 0. I can control other lights that are mapped on the same Neo key via the M1G so I have not worried about connecting to Comms 0 as I can program rules on the M1 and control the other lights via the C-Bus adaptor via the serial expander port.

I know there is an issue with the C-Bus adaptor which Ness and Clipsal are working on but the message is coming from the M1 to the C-bus interface not the other way which is where there the issues lay as I understand.

Cheers,

Fleetz

fleetz, Aug 29, 2006
  4. fleetz

Newman

I suggest that you search the forum for information on C-Bus Scenes. Basically, you need to assign a Trigger Group and Action Selector to the scene in the Neo UI. You then need to make the Ness panel set the corresponding Trigger Group and Action Selector onto C-Bus. The Trigger Group and Action Selector are analagous to a C-Bus Group Address and Level, but on Application $CA.

Newman, Aug 29, 2006
  5. fleetz

fleetz

I have been doing a lot of reading here and I believe I have exhausted everthing. Firstly the only input setup in the Ness is

I am now suspecting an issue with the Neo key unit, it is running 1.6.00 firmware where can I find the firmware issue status and wether there is any issue that might explain what is happening?

Cheers,

Fleetz

fleetz, Aug 29, 2006
  6. fleetz

Newman

Well, you can always call Tech Support or put a post on the Forum. ;)

Older Neo 1.4.0 had a problem where you couldn't remotely trigger a Scene if the Nightlight was active but this was resolved in 1.6.00. There are no remote Scene Triggering issues with Neo 1.6.00 so you can safely rule that out.

Have you tried firing up the diagnostic utility on a PCI so that you can monitor the message that the Ness panel is actually putting out on the bus?

Newman, Aug 30, 2006
  7. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Newman,

Thanks for the Neo info that is to bed!

No I have not used the utility can this utility be used if I have a 5500CN?

Cheers,

Fleetz

fleetz, Aug 30, 2006
  8. fleetz

Newman

Fleetz

Yes, you can use a 5500CN with the Diagnostic utility. Just remember that you can only have 1 connection established to a CNI at any given time, i.e. you can't have both C-Gate and the Diagnostic utility using it at once.

Newman, Aug 30, 2006
  9. fleetz

fleetz

Wow the diagnostic utility is extremely powerful and has helped.

I now understand the hierarchy of Application, Groups, Trigger Group and Action Selector.

I am now of the opinion that you can not fire a scene via the Ness M1 using the C-Bus. As Newman pointed out in an earlier thread "You then need to make the Ness panel set the corresponding Trigger Group and Action Selector onto C-Bus."

The issue with the Ness M1 is there is no way in it's lighting configuration you can set a Group, Trigger Group and an Action Selector which is required to switch on the scene set up on the Neo keypad.

The Ness lighting configuration allows the Group Address only to be stored.

I suspect that a Clipsal Scene controller will be exactly the same as far as the the Ness is concerned.

Thanks for all your input.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Sep 1, 2006
  10. fleetz

Mr Mark

Firing Scenes on M1

We found the same problem this morning (about 2:00 AM) firing scenes from the M1. The main scene we were triggering had about 120 groups to shutdown - too many tasks to enter into M1 that late!. A workaround we found was to send a signal from the M1 to turn ON or OFF (whatever you require ) a dummy group on an output unit. This in turn will trigger your scene.

Hope this one helps...

Mark

Mr Mark, Sep 17, 2006
  11. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Mr Mark,

Yes this a work around however noy as elegant as we would like. The isssue I see doing it in the M1 is that with 120 groups you will chew up a good amount of the rules memory. If the scene exists in C-Bus it would be nice to be able to fire off from M1 however the M1 would have to also send the action selector and trigger group.

Hopefully this is on the list of to do's at Ness/ELK

Cheers,

Fleetz

fleetz, Sep 17, 2006
Ask a Question