Feature request

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by Thomas, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas

Hi,

I'd like to request a feature for the Wiser app.
    It would be very useful if multiple login settings could be saved on the phone.

This could be as several setup files, or whatever method works best.
    My main interest is the Android app, but I am sure that iOS users may also appreciate it.

The reason is that for different clients there will obviously be different log-in's and it would be nice to simply call them up when needed.

Thomas, Apr 14, 2014
  2. Thomas

Roosta

Hey Thomas,

Best bet for submitting a feature request would be directly to clipsal..

While i can see a small amount of merit in your request, personally I see no need for such a setup.. As an added service to my customers, I give them all the login details for their wiser and get them to change the password for their own privacy/security once the job is complete.. If i then need to make changes I get them to either give me their new password and change it again once I am done but this then requires them to update all their devices, or i get them to change the password to the original one i gave them and change it back once i am done so they dont have to re configure their devices..

This gives the customer a lot more peice of mind I have found..

Cheers,
    Nik

Roosta, Apr 14, 2014
  3. Thomas

Robbo_VIC

I believe this would be a great feature added to Wiser. While it would be useful for us as Integrators, it would also be useful for those Clients who have a Wiser installed at multiple properties. IE Home and Holiday house or Work.

Robbo_VIC, Apr 15, 2014
  4. Thomas

Charlie Crackle

The 3rd party device Translink has this feature

Attached Files:

Charlie Crackle, Apr 15, 2014
  5. Thomas

Roosta

Hmm.. Now I can see more point to this request.. The multiple property log ins for a single customer could be useful.. Although i havent come across it with any of my customers..

I would also find a lot of use for profile style log ins into a single site.. Ie Master level control, and then guest level control, etc.. I believe this is coming with wiser 2 though...

Roosta, Apr 15, 2014
  6. Thomas

Robbo_VIC

I have noticed the Profile option in the Widget editor of the latest PICED

Robbo_VIC, Apr 16, 2014
  7. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Roosta,

You are quite correct in your concerns, but that depends on the level of trust between client and integrator.
    In any case, if the client wants to change logins he can do that anyway, and I welcome that as you do. Mainly, it keeps worries out of my head...:)

But for me, if I am asked to verify something on Wiser at a client, and I have to change in particular the mostly complex dyndns addresses, then I have to battle twice, once for the change to client, then to my own home. So a setup file would be very useful.

Also, as Robo suggested, people do have multiple homes. Mostly the ones who can afford a Wiser :p Of course one can argue that one person will most likely use the same login details for all premises, but that will not work for the dyndns in any case.

And yes, profiles will be an added feature which I would have good use for. But that's on Wiser 2, not the app.

All in all I find it a pity that updates and launches take much longer than they used to.

Thomas, Apr 17, 2014
  8. Thomas

bmerrick

Hi Guys,

I hate to weigh into the middle of an already robust debate, but I would also like to see some easy way of choosing a particular configuration prior to starting Wiser app on a phone etc. Whilst it will have a benefit for the small number of clients that happen to have multiple Wisers such as holiday home owners or sub-zoned building managers, it will also be very useful for installers.

I try to remember to religiously copy my 'WiserHD' config (which I use as my standard home/demo config repository) back to my Wiser config after working at each client's site setting up a new Wiser. On the odd occasion I forget (actually not that often now as I am very conscious of 'appearances') , I go to demonstrate it to a potential client, at the time it is supposed to look very slick, and I get caught out needing the 'oops, sorry, I left the config on my last client's site setup and just need to quickly re-config'. I am a master at doing this now and can achieve it in under 45 seconds, but still it doesn't look as slick when it happens as it should be.

May I just ask the Devs, could you possibly write a small ancillary app that just re-populates the setup config? A very simple app with a 'radio group' where you choose 'Home Wiser' or 'Holiday Home Wiser' (or Client Johnson St Wiser) and it just goes and refills the variables for Wan IP, Lan IP and password? Rather than building into Wiser app, this might be a good workaround?

The new Wiser with profiles will help but still doesn't seem to address the multi-site configuration which seems the real basis to Thomas' request

Sorry again to weigh into an already well developed debate.

All the best,

Brad

bmerrick, Apr 17, 2014
Ask a Question