Faulty Relay?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Craggen, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Craggen

Craggen

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help with an issue I'm experiencing with my Wiser lighting setup. I'm not aware of anything that could have caused this, all lighting just stopped working yesterday with no obvious explanation.

In order to find the cause I've taken all output units off the bus and building them up one by one.

There are 2 units in the first cabinet, an 8 channel relay and an 8 channel dimmer, both with built-in power supplies and both connected to the bus. Powering only the dimmer (at end of bus) works fine, "c-bus" indicator stays lit and connected lights work fine from switches although the "unit" indicator is flashing. Powering the relay (unit light also flashing) causes the c-bus LED on both to light intermittently.

Toolkit can only scan the network when the relay is powered off and when doing this shows that the CNI in the Wiser has Clock and Burden enabled, the dimmer only has Clock enabled. Voltage levels on all devices on the bus show between 30 and 31V. During the initial scan it found a duplicate which surprised me - both the CNI and Dimmer were set to address 001.

Can anyone suggest a course of action to resolve this? Would this behaviour suggest my relay has generated some fault?

Craggen, Sep 5, 2016
  2. Craggen

NickD Moderator

Is the unit LED flashing on the dimmer steady or erratic? Steady flash probably just means you have used one of the local override buttons to activate one or more of the channels (a long press on any of those buttons will exit this mode). If it's erratic is suggests either your mains voltage is VERY low or the power supply is not happy.

As for the C-Bus LED.. this will be ON as long as there is a C-Bus clock detected and the C-Bus voltage is high enough.. If it goes funny when the second unit is connected then either the clock is being disturbed (if you have several clock generators enabled then they will fight it out for a while when they are connected but this should resolve itself within a few seconds), or the C-Bus voltage is dropping and hovering around the threshold where the indicator goes out (from memory this is around 15-17 V)..

Nick

NickD, Sep 6, 2016
  3. Craggen

Craggen

Nick,

Thanks for your reply. As you say, Unit flashing was the local override so that's now OK.

CBus LED continues to fail however. I've stripped everything back, including swicthes, so that now all I have connected on the bus and wired in this order is:

Wiser CNI -> Relay -> Dimmer

Running Diagnostics from Toolkit with only the Dimmer and CNI powered shows:

Dimmer, 001, 32.8V, No Burden, Clock Enabled
    Relay, 002, 31.8V, No Burden, Clock Enabled (not mains powered)
    Wiser CNI, 016, 33.1V, Burden Enabled, Clock Enabled

CBus light stays solid and I can toggle the Lighting Groups via Toolkit.

Powering the Relay immediately enables Channels 1 and 2 (must be stored) and then the CBus light on both units begin to flash and Toolkit and Diagnostics Utility can no longer communicate on the bus.

Leaving this for a few minutes and I've noticed the Relay switching all channels on and then returning to channels 1 and 2 again. This would suggest to me that it is failing and then resetting. Could it be the power supply?

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Should I reset the units back to factory and configure again or would it seem like a hardware fault?

Thanks,
    Craig

Craggen, Sep 6, 2016
  4. Craggen

NickD Moderator

The fact that the network works fine without the relay externally powered and it all falls apart when the relay is powered suggests something is not right with the relay (could be the power supply or the control board).

Nick

NickD, Sep 7, 2016
  5. Craggen

DarylMc

Software burden should be on unit 001.

DarylMc, Sep 10, 2016
  6. Craggen

Craggen

Daryl, Nick, thanks for your feedback.

The unit addressing was the first thing that raised the alarm bells after the lighting stopped working. Connecting Toolkit and scanning the bus detected duplicate addresses which shouldn't have been in a setup that has been working for years.

In the process of resolving this the CNI was switched to 016 rather than 001. I've now switched these back so that the CNI and the burden are at address 001 and tried the relay on again but still no luck. All bus traffic fails so can't do any diagnostics or network scans when this is powered on.

The relay operates it's channels correctly from the local overrides but just can't appear to connect to the bus. With both units on I get short spells, 2 or 3 seconds, where both Cbus lights are lit but then they go on and off intermittently again. It's as if the 2 devices are causing contention on the bus but aren't able to resolve it.

Is there anything else worth trying rather than replacing the unit?

Thanks,
    Craig

Craggen, Sep 11, 2016
  7. Craggen

DarylMc

This may help you decide.

Attached Files:

DarylMc, Sep 11, 2016
Ask a Question