Faulty dimmer?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by chana1900, May 2, 2016.

1. chana1900

chana1900

I bought a house with CBUS installed and everything worked for the past two years. About a week ago, suddenly, the whole system became unresponsive. Couldn't turn on or off lights, using switches or color display unit. I had to kill the power at the main breaker to bring the system back on track. Later on the day I found that several groups of lights don't hold when they turn on. After some time they turn off while the switch indicator still lit. Further investigations showed that all the light groups connected to the same dimmer unit have this behaviour, eventually turning off themselves after some time. The time varies from 10 seconds to about 3 minutes. All the other lights and units in the home are working as normal.

It looks like a faulty dimmer unit but want to know any other possibilities that can cause this type of behaviour before replacing the faulty unit. Didn't do any changes in the CBUS system for a long time. But, about a month ago, we installed a 3kW solar system with SMA inverter and not sure whether it has any effect on the system.

PS: The CBUS voltage is around 27v. The faulty(?) dimmer is 8 channel with a power unit.

chana1900, May 2, 2016
  2. chana1900

DarylMc

Have you made any changes to the lamps recently eg replaced halogen with LED?

DarylMc, May 2, 2016
  3. chana1900

chana1900

I changed most of the halogens in the house to LEDs more than a year ago and nothing is done recently.

chana1900, May 2, 2016
  4. chana1900

DarylMc

DarylMc, May 2, 2016
  5. chana1900

chana1900

The dimmer model is L5508D1A. All the lights are green including the channel LEDs. I noticed that when the lights turn off, the cbus indicator and unit indicator turn off for half a second along with all the channel indicators like the dimmer is 'rebooting'. I turned on channels one by one and possible combinations to isolate any channel's contribution but the result is same for all channels.

chana1900, May 3, 2016
  6. chana1900

DarylMc

Get an electrician to check the integrity of both the 240v supplies to the dimmer.
    If the CBus 240v supply drops off, depending on your number of power supplies it could make the whole network unresponsive.

If the 240v briefly drops out the dimmer may resume to off state depending on the programming.

DarylMc, May 3, 2016
  7. chana1900

NickD Moderator

All of the symptoms you have described *could* be attributed to a failure in the power supply of the dimmer..

The power supply in that model provides power to the C-Bus network, as well as the internals of the unit itself, as well as the mains zero crossing signal that the dimmer stage uses for synchronisation, so if something has been damaged it's possible any or all of those functions could be affected.

Whilst it's always possible for a sufficiently large surge on the power network to do damage, it's not that common. I would be more suspicious of the timing of the solar installation. Some of the testing that may have been done on your installation as part of the solar install could possibly damage the mains-connected C-Bus gear if it was not isolated before the test was done.

It's also possible that the solar inverter might be causing interference (does the problem still happen at night when the inverter would be off line?).

Nick

NickD, May 3, 2016
  8. chana1900

chana1900

Thanks DarylMc & NickD for the replies. Every test I did, lead me to assume the dimmer is faulty. So I replaced the dimmer unit with a new one and everything is working normally now. :)

chana1900, May 25, 2016
Ask a Question