Failed to read network

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Regman, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Regman

Regman

Hi all,
    I have an existing network that has has zero problems until recently when Toolkit failed to identify any network. I have trouble shoot on the tech support line, tried new PCI/lead and reloaded the 1.4 software. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Regman, Jun 27, 2006
  2. Regman

Duncan

So what exactly happens? what do you do, what error messages does the software give, what Network interface are you using (PCI/CNI?)..

Duncan, Jun 27, 2006
  3. Regman

JohnC

Yesterday we had the reverse... A project created using 1.4. My collegue couldn't get it to scan or open in v1.2, It would open on my comp v1.3.2

An update fixed it (not that will help Regman's problem)

JohnC, Jun 27, 2006
  4. Regman

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi John,

We don't support the moving of projects backwards to older Toolkit versions.

Doing this is definitely in the "at your own risk" camp - It may sometimes work but it depends on the content of the project and whether there were many changes to the underlying model. It is possible to bork your project so you should of course always back it up.

If moving projects between machines : for best results you should first ensure that both the old and the new machine are running the same version of Toolkit (as you discovered).

Cheers
    Daniel

daniel, Jun 28, 2006
  5. Regman

Regman

Thanks for all the info guys.

Hi Duncan,

Mate I am using pci, through a usb adaptor. I'm getting no comms between the pci and my laptop. No messages from the software and I've had no problems with the network over the past 3 months or so. I've tried using a different laptop, reloading the software onto mine and was actually connected to this network a few hours before I started having trouble. I've tried a different pci and lead, sourced from a rep and still no luck. I originally ran 1.2 and thats how the network was created. Since upgrading to 1.4 I've loaded PIR's and changed some switching so I don't think it's a software issue. Any thoughts.

Regman, Jun 28, 2006
  6. Regman

NickD Moderator

There are all sorts of problems with USB-RS232 adapters... is that something you have changed recently or have you been able to connect with this adapter in the past?

You say you're getting no comms between the PCI and your laptop.. is it possible that the COM port number assigned to the USB-RS232 converter has changed?

Nick

NickD, Jun 29, 2006
  7. Regman

Regman

Hi Nick,

Yeh I've been using that usb adaptor since I've started and no problems. I've checked the comm port number and it's the same. Maybe get another usb adaptor do you think? I've pretty much tried replacing everything else.

Regman, Jun 29, 2006
  8. Regman

phcjpp

I Had exactly the same behaivour a while back when I upgraded to the new toolkit. Various devices were not identified. No hardware was changed. Since then things seemed to have sorted themselves out though without me doing very much and now it runs fine. Really weird - I wonder if there was some kinda noise on the lines ?

Chris

phcjpp, Jun 29, 2006
  9. Regman

NickD Moderator

As I said.. USB adapters can be a pain, but I wouldn't go and rush to buy a new one just yet. What type is it BTW? We recommend the Dontronics one (FTDI chipset based).

You say you have no comms between laptop and PCI... what exactly do you see? Are the orange lights on your PCI on? Do they flash at all when toolkit is trying to connect? Does toolkit give you any kind of message/dialog?

Nick

NickD, Jun 29, 2006
  10. Regman

Gavin Nation

Same problem

Howdy guys,
    Had the same problem yesterday. Network had been working fine for three years and had also used V1.4 on hte network and everything had worked previously.
    The network would not scan, checking the C-Gate screen had a message like 'restarting stuck unit'. It did this a few times and then reported an error.

The network has about 30 x 2000 series switches, 15 x thermostats, 10 x relays, 1 x dimmer 2A, a touch screen and a PAC unit.

Again, using a USB to serial adaptor. It is an Aten unit that has worked fine for years.

Gavin

Gavin Nation, Jun 30, 2006
  11. Regman

Regman

I'm using a cabac adapter at the moment and when I scan the network, the comms LED on the PCI does not flash, and message comes up as "failed to recognise net work". Similaly if I scan for networks, again, fails to find any. Am going to order a dontronics adaptor to try it, think it's best to have one.

Regman, Jun 30, 2006
  12. Regman

marp20x6

Tried with both PC & Network interface

Hi Folks,

Seems as though I have the same problem. Yesterday we hooked up a brand new small system; PC Interface, an 8 channel dimmer & a network interface. using ToolKit 1.4 i get nothing but 'Failed Identify' on scanning for either of the interfaces.

I then tried toolkit 1.1, same thing.

LED's on both interfaces blink while i'm scanning, but ultimately the network does not open. The C-Gate window echo's things like 'Restarting Stuck Transmitter'.

marp20x6

marp20x6, Jul 6, 2006
  13. Regman

Duncan

Your network is probably not working properly.. contact Tech Support for help with getting your network up and running, they'll help you check all the usual candidates, clock, burden, power etc..

Duncan, Jul 6, 2006
  14. Regman

marp20x6

Tech Support

Cheers for that, spoke to tech support this morning, however the c-bus network does seem to be stable. its been suggested that both my brand new pc interface, and network interface are faulty....

marp20x6, Jul 7, 2006
  15. Regman

Duncan

Hmm.. statistically, having 2 faulty interfaces just doesnt gel with me..

But anything is possible.. before you send them back.. try this:

Create a New Project in Toolkit by selecting "Add Project" from the Projects menu.. name your new project.. then when Toolkit offers to add a Network to this new Project answer "Yes" and create a Serial Network on COM1 (or whatever COM port your PCI is connected to). Once Toolkit has created this Network press the "Open Network" button.. hopefully you'll see the Network go to "Open".. then select the "Units" node on the Treeview and hit the Scan button in the bottom half of the screen.

Duncan, Jul 7, 2006
  16. Regman

Regman

Still Questions

Hi Duncan,
    I finally got to go back to try that network that was not identifying and finally got it to communicate. There still is one problem. I adjusted some of the switching on about 2/3 of the houses' saturn switches and all the ones that were altered have completely frozen. The leds will not change colour, none of the new or original lights settings will work, even though toolkit says that all data has been transferred and the comms led flashes while in the process of transferring. All the switches that have not been altered work fine. Have you heard of this before as I contacted tech support and they could not work through a solution.
    Cheers, Regan

Regman, Jul 13, 2006
  17. Regman

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Regman,

Did they get you to send your project file or any other files through to them?

daniel, Jul 14, 2006
  18. Regman

Duncan

No, I've not heard of this before. Work with Tech Support to get it resolved.

Duncan, Jul 14, 2006
  19. Regman

Regman

Thanks daniel and Duncan,
    No they didn't get me to send that stuff down but while try them again this afternoon and see what say.
    Cheers.

Regman, Jul 14, 2006
Ask a Question