factory reset w/less gateway

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by ICS-GS, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ICS-GS

ICS-GS

is there a way to reset the wireless gateway to factory default (i want to see if i can change the house code)

i can't seem to be able to do it from toolkit for some reason, i get an error message.

One of my relay units seems unable to re- learn the new house code (i hope). Its been on the shelf for a couple off years and i have either re-set the wireless network adding units some time ago and changed the house code, or the unit on the shelf has lost it's marbles (but was working OK before it was unplugged)

So what i was hoping to do was try to plug in the *OLD* relay unit and see if i can get anything to *join* to it?

But it has been a while since i did any of this wireless stuff, it all seems a bit screwy at the minute, but i am sure it will all come back to me.

Cheers

Grant

PS: with the plug adaptors, given that the button orientation is vertical which is the *left* button? (top or bottom)

ICS-GS, Jan 2, 2010
  2. ICS-GS

Newman

The House Code is not configurable over C-Bus. It must be learned into the unit using the "Create a Network" procedure. This is because the communication between devices is encrypted and you wouldn't want to go controlling your neighbour's house by accident now, would you...

If it's been out of the network for an extended period of time then it will be out of sync with the encryption that's running on all the other devices. It will need to be re-learned into the network. If there is anything mis-configured in the relay unit hopefully a factory reset will sort it out.

I would do the following:

• Reset your relay unit to factory defaults. Section 10 of the Wireless User Guide.
    • Put your Wireless Gateway into Learn Mode (button on bottom)
    • Transmit the house code from the relay unit to the Gateway. Section 6.1 of the User Guide. You should see the Gateway confirm receipt of the command with a brief quick flashing of one of it's indicators.
    • Assign at least one channel a group address (Enter Learn on the Relay, turn on a channel, then exit Learn).
    This will join the Gateway to the Relay unit using the house code from the relay unit, which I think is what you're trying to do. After about a minute, you should be able to scan the wireless network using Toolkit and see the wireless side of the Gateway as well as the relay unit (2 units).

If everything works out OK then you can bring both your relay unit and gateway into your existing network by sending the House Code from your existing network to these two units.

The left button on a switch corresponds with the bottom button on a plug adapter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2010
    Newman, Jan 2, 2010
  3. ICS-GS

ICS-GS

thanks newman,

it actually seems like the plug adaptor does not enter 'learn' mode properly (lights flash the right way, etc) but i cannot get it to factory reset or join the network.

just looking at the other plug adapters i have what if (not that i did it) all the learn functions were unticked (application / network learn) before this all happened???:eek: should the factory reset still work??

Cheers

Grant

ICS-GS, Jan 2, 2010
  4. ICS-GS

Newman

Even if Learn is un-ticked you still have a window of opportunity for about a minute after power up to perform the factory reset.

Newman, Jan 2, 2010
  5. ICS-GS

ICS-GS

thanks, i tried that, it seems like the unit will *enter* learn mode, but the unit reset proceedure does everything up to the point where "a series of flashes for 10 sec...", and does not seem to *exit* learn mode.

Any ideas

Thanks

Grant

ICS-GS, Jan 2, 2010
  6. ICS-GS

Newman

After performing a factory reset, the unit automatically re-initiates the Learn Mode procedure. This is to give you the opportunity to immediately re-join the unit to a network.

Immediately after doing the factory reset, if you look VERY closely, you'll see the unit do the following 3 things:
    - a rapid on/off flashing sequence of all indicators together. This is the unit reset part.
    - a rapid alternating flash between the left and right columns of indicators. This is the initial part of Learn Mode. At this point you can put the unit into house code training mode if you want.
    - a slow alternating flash between left and right columns of indicators. This is the regular Learn Mode flash.

If this is what you see, then the unit reset has been successful.

Newman, Jan 18, 2010
  7. ICS-GS

ICS-GS

Nope, it appears the unit will not reset.

The sequence is OK as i reset one of my other units just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
    ICS-GS, Jan 23, 2010
  8. ICS-GS

Newman

If this sequence works on your other plug adaptors, but does not on this plug adaptor, then this unit may have a fault. You should have a window of about 60 seconds after power-up within which to reset the unit back to factory defaults, even with Learn disabled.

Newman, Jan 24, 2010
  9. ICS-GS

George Nigg

Hi there. I got a wireless gateway and a wireless dimmer plug. Today I received 2 new relay plugs 5812R10F1AA from Clipsal but toolkit won't see them and I refreshed the memory of the gateway. Since they are new the should not have a house code? Never the less I tried to reset them but with no luck.
    anyone an idea where to go from here?

Cheers
    George

George Nigg, Dec 8, 2018
  10. ICS-GS

Ashley

Ashley, Dec 9, 2018
Ask a Question