External Temperature Sensing via C-Bus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deano, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Deano

Deano

Just wanted to know if anyone has done any external temperature sensing (i.e outdoor) via C-Bus?

Clipsal I know don't have an external temp sensor so wondered if anyone has found another way. E.g A 3rd party temp sensor wired into a C-Bus General Input Unit perhaps? - Something that has worked reliably.

Regardless, the value would then need to be displayed on a C-touch and used in logic.

Any thoughts?

Deano, Apr 9, 2009
  2. Deano

NickD Moderator

I have one of the new C-Bus temperature sensors mounted in the ceiling of my carport... so it's out of the weather but measures outdoor temperature.... it does get a bit of error from the roof-space heat (I've been meaning to throw some insulation in).

Alternatively there are numermous weater station type products with all manner of wireless connections to the sensors. Some of the base stations have RS232 connections which could be used with a PAC to extract the data. Davis make some really nice ones (although not exactly cheap).

Nick

NickD, Apr 9, 2009
  3. Deano

Deano

We have tried something very similar with the 5031TS version.
    When you say "new" temp sensor are you referring to the 5031 RDTSL released last Dec? If so, how have these performed for you. Is it true they're more stable and accurate than the 5031TS which was known to drift?

Dean

Deano, Apr 9, 2009
  4. Deano

NickD Moderator

Yes.

Performance is excellent, miles ahead of the old one.

The old 5031TS used an analog sensor and required factory calibration using a pot. The new 5031RDTSL uses a digital temperature sensor IC which has a typical accuracy of +/- 0.5C at 25C, and max +/-1C over the operating range, so there should be no drift at all.

Also a lot of work was put into minimising errors due to self heating and airflow from the wall cavity.

Nick

NickD, Apr 9, 2009
  5. Deano

brett_lynn

Job Done...

brett_lynn, Apr 24, 2009
  6. Deano

Conformist

Is it just me or do others think that brett_lynn looks a lot like NickD???:confused:

Conformist, Apr 24, 2009
  7. Deano

brett_lynn

Stricking resemblance Conformist... yeah i know just havent been shagged to change the avatar thingy since I originally put it there....

Keeping it as a 'Pantene Project' - "it wont happen over night... but it will happen..." :cool:

brett_lynn, Apr 24, 2009
Ask a Question