Ethernet Over Power

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dannyd, Jun 9, 2009.

1. dannyd

dannyd

dannyd, Jun 9, 2009
  2. dannyd

ashleigh Moderator

Its ethernet sent over the power lines.

Why would Clipsal release such a thing? You can buy it readily in pretty much any computer shop. There is no advantage in Clipsal trying to sell such products.

If you want to do this, and use it to get connectivity to something like you CNI so you can push connectivity to cbus around a building, then go for it. HOWEVER if it is not 100% reliable of the packet round trip times turn out to be ridiculously large, DO NOT come whining to Clipsal about cbus software faults!

ashleigh, Jun 9, 2009
  3. dannyd

dannyd

Hi Ashleigh,

I guess my 1st post was a little vague!
    Im not suggesting clipsal release a ethernet over power adaptor, like you said there are plenty of other people doing that.

I was asking if it was possible to run actual CBUS commands over power using this type of technogy? i.e plug a pink cable into it or something similar.

If this was possible it would open up a whole new range of products!
    - A standard double socket outlet would become a 2 channel relay with local over rides - then you wouldn't have to use wireless plug adapters on an otherwise wired network.
    - You could run Power & bus to an out house over the same cable - in the same conduit!

Sounds great in theory - dunno if it is technically possible!

d.

dannyd, Jun 9, 2009
  4. dannyd

Ashley W

C-bus isn't Ethernet so you couldn't just stick the 'pink' cable into an Ethernet device. You would have to first turn it to Ethernet using a pair of CNI's (one at each end) and I fail to see what that would do for anyone.

Clipsal does have a range of wireless devices that would provide a much better solution in places where you couldn't run C-bus cable. Failing that X-10 is the protocol to use over power lines. So to put simply there is no logical need for an Ethernet over power solution for C-bus

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
    Ashley W, Jun 9, 2009
  5. dannyd

ashleigh Moderator

It's been considered many times. X10 has been around forever, doing this. It's very low speed (about 300 bits/sec), and not reliable. I first saw data-over power-lines using off-the-shelf IC's back in 1983. It's been around a long time. The newer high speed networking-over-power-lines is much newer, and a different technology. The two biggest troubles have been getting the communication to be reliable, and getting it small enough to fit in the hole (eg INSIDE the wallbox).

Much of the technology to do all this is finally at a point where it is small enough, and relatively affordable (ignoring the X-10 method, on the grounds of poor reliability). However, that raises the issue: "should one do this", and so far the case does not really stack up very well. Controlled GPO's, whilst possible, come with all sorts of regulatory and commissioning headaches. And 2-wire devices like light switches which have no neutral are a big problem if used as control points because getting the signalling into the power lines is very hard if there is no neutral.

BITs in isolation look attractive. A whole system which is easy to set up, and commission, and sell, and all at the right price: Harder.

ashleigh, Jun 10, 2009
  6. dannyd

znelbok

He wasn't asking to use an Ethernet device - just using the concept as an illustration to his question for a similar concept with C-bus.

And you cant convert C-bus to Ethernet with two CNI's (not unless it has just been released). It has many benefits if it was possible (see the thread I started about this)

Mick

znelbok, Jun 10, 2009
  7. dannyd

Ashley W

Well he was asking about running C bus over Ethernet...

Yeah right you are, had thought it had a bridge type function, guess with some software and a PC it would be possible. But in any case the simple solution to the basic requirement is catered for with the wireless range. Everything else is more than easily catered for using wired technology.

Ashley W, Jun 10, 2009
  8. dannyd

dannyd

dannyd, Jun 11, 2009
Ask a Question