Ethernet cable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ashields, Jan 26, 2019.

1. ashields

ashields

So I have a 5500SHAC on the way.

For my CNI I ran pink cable for ethernet, however the install location for the Wiser is a lot further from my ethernet switches and I don't want the potential confusion.

Does anybody know of cat 5 or cat 6 cable with the same level of insulation as C-BUS cable but isn't pink?
    Thanks
    Alan

ashields, Jan 26, 2019
  2. ashields

Ashley

You ran pink cable for ethernet? Not Cbus? Anyway, the SHAC should not be mounted in an enclosure with mains wiring so you can use standard cat5e/6 cable for it's ethernet connection. Mount it near the switches and run pink cbus to it.

Ashley, Jan 26, 2019
  3. ashields

NickD Moderator

I'm not a sparky myself, I'm pretty sure it's OK (in Australia at least) to mount the SHAC in an enclosure with mains wiring as long as there's suitable segregation of the ELV wiring.

Nick

NickD, Jan 30, 2019
  4. ashields

Ashley

Assuming you can find mains rated cat5e/6 cable for the ethernet connection.

Why would you do this though?

Ashley, Jan 30, 2019
    jboer likes this.
  5. ashields

DarylMc

Without getting into specific wiring advice which is against the rules of this forum.
    The CNI in the switchboard is likely redundant since the customer is installing a 5500SHAC.
    From the original post it seems there is already a pink CBus cable from the switchboard to the router/switch location.

DarylMc, Jan 30, 2019
  6. ashields

Ashley

The point is that the 5500SHAC requires a network connection in addition to cbus, so if you put it in a switchboard you need a mains rated cat5e/6 cable. Given that the SHAC has no mains connections, why would to risk this?

Ashley, Jan 30, 2019
  7. ashields

jboer

I'm with Ashley on this one, its one of my bug bears. Especially with a SHAC where you can put in serial lines and ect if wanted, for the sake of $30 put in a nice DIN enclosure that is separate to your mains boards and keep everything and everyone happy?

jboer, Jan 30, 2019
  8. ashields

DarylMc

I agree Ashley.
    The shac should go to the network equipment location and there is already a pink cable running there.

DarylMc, Jan 30, 2019
  9. ashields

DarylMc

What I was trying to point out is there is already a CBus cable running to the guys LAN equipment.
    The CNI is likely not needed any more.
    The SHAC should go to the LAN equipment location.
    And the CNI if the SHAC doesn't have enough CBus interfaces for the customer.

DarylMc, Jan 31, 2019
  10. ashields

NickD Moderator

I don't get it.. the SHAC still needs a 24V power supply, which needs a 240V supply.. so where does this go in your separate DIN enclosure?

Nick

NickD, Feb 2, 2019
  11. ashields

Ashley

It doesn't. You use a plug pack :)

And as Jboer points out, you can also have serial, usb, digital input and voltage free relay output. Who wants all that mixed up with 240VAC?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Ashley, Feb 2, 2019
    jboer and DarylMc like this.
  12. ashields

jboer

Or you put in in your switchboard with all the 240v gear and just run a bit of DC between your boards ;-)

jboer, Feb 2, 2019
  13. ashields

DarylMc

Hello Nick
    As an electrical contractor I would rather not see a CNI or SHAC in an electrical switchboard.
    I suppose it is possible to have proper segregation but really why would you do this?
    Like the original Wiser device I think they belong close to the network equipment which is going to have power outlets for a plug pack.

DarylMc, Feb 2, 2019
  14. ashields

DarylMc

Clipsal has never provided detailed guidance on the location and physical installation of CNI or to my knowledge SHAC.
    This in conjunction with relevant standards and accumulated knowledge is the sort of information electrical contractors like myself look to when deciding where to locate the hardware.
    I haven't done a CBus training course in quite some time but perhaps its time for Clipsal to address this in the installation instructions.

DarylMc, Feb 2, 2019
  15. ashields

ashields

ashields, Feb 3, 2019
  16. ashields

ashields

Thanks guys.
    This is replacing a pac which is in a seperate location to the cni and does rs232 integration to my alarm (also pink cable ;) In the end I added a new box and ran mains flex for the 24v from the existing box and regular cat 6 for ethernet.

With the pac the serial interface is RJ45 and there is less opportunity for a stray cable to contact anything. The shac has a lot of low voltage screw terminals so I see this is a safer way to go.

ashields, Feb 3, 2019
    jboer likes this.
  17. ashields

NickD Moderator

The problem here is that C-Bus is sold into many different countries and used in many different applications with different installation practices.

I'm not sure exactly what (if anything) is said in the instructions in relation to this, but it's probably something along the lines of "must be installed in accordance with local regulations".

For Australia.. AS3000 specifies a minimum standard and it's great to see from the comments above that so many of you guys are passionate about exceeding that standard, but the option to install the devices in a switchboard if the requirements of the standard are met is there, should the installer require it.

Nick

NickD, Feb 4, 2019
Ask a Question