Error message on IP Utility ...

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by bassfiend, Jul 4, 2011.

1. bassfiend

bassfiend

Downloaded the C-Bus IP Utility today and am running it on Windows 7 Professional 32bit - when I try to enter a value for "Port" I get the error message "Could not convert variant of type (String) into type (Double)"...

Is this known about? Am I doing something wrong? Can I get around this some way?

Cheers

Phil

bassfiend, Jul 4, 2011
  2. bassfiend

Newman

Which version of the IP Utility are you using? When reporting faults it is important to include the software version number.

Newman, Jul 4, 2011
  3. bassfiend

bassfiend

1.2.0.0 ...

... it found my CNI but returned "Unset" values for NetMask, Gateway and TCP Port which were reported in Red text. Trying to enter a value into the TCP Port entry box gave that error.

I subsequently ran it on my XP machine (same version - 1.2.0.0) and it didn't have the same issue (and pulled back sensible values for the NetMask, Gateway and TCP Port) - I updated the CNI with the XP machine and now the W7 machine can read the CNI and return the correct values for IP address, gateway, netmask and TCP Port and it will now update those values.

Phil

bassfiend, Jul 5, 2011
  4. bassfiend

ashleigh Moderator

Win7 has a different TCP stack to WinXP. And a different windows firewall.

This shows up in a variety of strange ways - especially when trying to use TCP or UDP to access a device that is set up with a different IP address range or subnet mask to your PC. Things that went thru the Windows XP firewall get blocked by the Windows 7 firewall.

If you were to revert your CNI to completely unprogrammed and repeat this process, instead setting your windows 7 firewall to disabled, you should find it works OK.

The long term cure for this is not very clear. Probably some special windows firewall rules, that vary depending on the OS you install onto. One for the s/w chaps to chew over.

ashleigh, Jul 5, 2011
Ask a Question