Error attempting download from B&W C-Touch to SPICED

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Jason, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Jason

Jason

Can anyone tell me why I would get this error? I'm connected to the network through a CNI and I'm the network is online. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Jason, Jul 15, 2005
  2. Jason

Nick Mullins

Firmware upgrade maybe!

gday jason,
    Does the Ctouch you are trying to upload have Ctouch Firmware V2.0.0 . its listed on the start up page of the screen.Im Not sure if Piced will upload from Firmware 1.9.However if you upgrade firmware then old Ctouch software might not work.

Nick Mullins, Jul 15, 2005
  3. Jason

Ross

It has to be the tulips, they are not loud enough :D

Ross, Jul 15, 2005
  4. Jason

Jason

Very funny. But still more help!

YEa the flowers are a bit much! Thanks for the tip, uploaded VER 2.0. But now the unit continually tries to reset and gives the message program unit before use. I try to upload directly through COM1 or the CNI and I get connected to the unit but the upload failes in PICED. Any tips? I'm thinking that while the C-touch is on the reset loop it is not ready for a program command or something.

Thanks (these forums are great for dim users like me :)

Jason, Jul 16, 2005
  5. Jason

ashleigh Moderator

The division by zero error is a bit strange. I'll refer this to Mr Piced and see what he thinks...

ashleigh, Jul 18, 2005
  6. Jason

Darren Senior Member

You can't transfer a project from a C-Touch unit via C-Bus. You will need to connect directly via a serial cable.

You can transfer V1.9 projects from a C-Touch.

Darren, Jul 18, 2005
  7. Jason

Jason

Thanks Darren

Thanks for the fast reply. I connect via PICED using a serial cable, COM1. I can connect to the touch screen but the download always fails. Should the C-Touch continually be resetting? Could this interfere with the download of a program? The firmware upgrade appeared succefull but that's as far as I got. Luckily I have Homegate to control the house on a PC for the moment!

Any ideas from here?

Jason, Jul 18, 2005
  8. Jason

Dave Byron

Jason
    We have been having trouble downloading to touch screens that always crashs at the end of the firmware download and before the program download.
    Have found it goes with some of the serial cables and touch units but have not been able to pinpoint the combination yet.
    We just change the serial cable till find one that works.
    dave

Dave Byron, Jul 18, 2005
  9. Jason

Darren Senior Member

OK. From your original post, it sounded like you were doing it via C-Bus, not a serial.
    We have stopped using the term "download" as it causes confusion. Are you transferring from C-Touch to the PC ("upload") or from the PC to the C-Touch ("download") ?
    No. What are the symptoms ?
    Possibly, but I need to know what is happening.
    Have you tried the suggestions in the FAQ ?

Darren, Jul 19, 2005
  10. Jason

Marc

Resetting Ctouch

Hi

I seem to have the same resetting problem with a Ctouch as Jason, although the problem appeared after a failure during the configuration transfer, not a firmware update.

The symtoms are: Reset, then an unusual boot display (a static +/-50% progress bar, not changing/progessing), a single BEEP, then the following page:

//CLIPSAL
    Integrated Systems

After 7 seconds the unit resets again and the cycle repeats.

I can still configure the Cbus options (address, clock, burden etc.) using Toolkit and a PCI as long as the process starts & completes during the 7 seconds it's on the 'please program' screen. Attempts to connect (direct rs232) using Piced always results in an error (couldn't connect to unit).

If the firmare upgrade is controlled by the 'Monitor' program and not by the firmware itself, why can't it stop the Ctouch from trying to load the faulty firmware/configuration that's causing the crash/reset?

Marc, Jul 24, 2005
  11. Jason

Marc

Resetting Ctouch

BTW is there any way to purge the corrupt data by means of an internal jumper or switch? (like you can for PC bios configs on some PCs)

Marc, Jul 24, 2005
  12. Jason

Jason

Exactly the same problem as mine.

Hi Marc, thats EXACTLY the same problem I'm having. I have tried everyting short of dropping it in a bin!

If anyone can suggest how to resurect the unit it would be much appreciated.

Jason, Jul 24, 2005
  13. Jason

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Guys
    Havent played with my ctouch screen in a while as i was also having similiar problems...In my case i could get the pc to download to the Ctouch via usb/serial on com3...but not always....On com1 it would bomb out......

I *suspect* dodgy serial chip drivers in the pc as i had the same issue when downloading schedules to my ha controller (homevision) @ 9600 baud....
    For some reason i was able to download ok from serial port 2 on my pc to the ctouch....... Im still using version 2 software and the ctouch has firmware 1.9

So if you have a second serial port give it a try .......
    Good Luck
    HTH
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Jul 24, 2005
  14. Jason

Marc

Corrupt C-Touchdata

Thanks Frank, but I think your missing the point on this one. The communication is not crashing because of some RS232 software or hardware issue at the computer end, rather it stops because the C-touch is physically resetting (power down) before communications can be established.

Note that this problem of the C-Touch resetting occurs regardless of whether you are trying to communicate serially with it or not, in fact it occurs continuously, every 10 seconds or so, even when connected to nothing but the network itself (which, of course, it requires for pwr/clk.)

For me, and I believe also for Jason, the problem started after a failed data transfer to the C-Touch, resulting in data or firmware corruption that is preventing the C-Touch from booting & staying alive long enough to establish communications and retransfer the firmware & config. (In fact it doesn't even allow enough time to connect before resetting.)

If anyone has an idea, please post your thoughts. Hopefully someone from CIS can shed some light on this problem on Monday.

Marc, Jul 24, 2005
  15. Jason

Darren Senior Member

If you have a unit which is continually resetting and you can't connect to it to download new firmware or configuration data, you will need to return it to CIS. It shouldn't be possible for this to occur, so it will be interesting to find out what is going on inside these units.

Darren, Jul 25, 2005
  16. Jason

CC&C

Something for Marc and Jason to try is to disconnect the C-Bus Network inputs to the C-Touch and then try and connect. I found a similar problem with my C-Touch continually resetting but it wasn't associated with a download/upload event, it was assocaited with connecting a new unit on the network. Cheers, CC&C.

CC&C, Jul 25, 2005
  17. Jason

Marc

Resetting C-Touch

Thanks CC&C, but I've already tried that, looks like I'll be sending it back to CIS then.

Marc, Jul 25, 2005
  18. Jason

ragstone72

C-Touch not responding

Is there any update on this resetting problem? I think that is waht I am experiencing.

I tried downloading a PICED programme (latest version) via C-bus to a brand new B&W C-Touch unit. I didn't realise the pre-programmed C-Touch firmware was version 1.9, which requires a firmware upgrade before PICED can be used.

Now I have a C-Touch which, when powered up, momentarily gives a 'This Unit Needs Programming' meassage, then returns to a 50% horizantal progress bar. This cycle repeats once, before staying stuck on the 50% progress bar (with no other message).

Now I can't connect to my C-Touch unit via either C-bus or serial port. (In any case, I had never managed to connect via the serial port anyway, hence I was using the C-bus network to programme).

I think I have read somewhere that you can't carry out a C-Touch firmware upgrade via C-bus. Is this true. Have I buggered up my C-Touch so that it needs to return to CIS? Can anybody help?

Also still not sure why I can't couldn't connect direct to the C-Touch via a serial port....keep getting the 'failed to connect' message despite making all the checks suggested in the FAQ section.

ragstone72, Feb 28, 2006
  19. Jason

JohnC

As an aside...

I am glad you are trying to stop using these terms, even though you just did so.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Download :
    Therefore, the term "Download" refers to the transfer of data from a remote device to the local device you are currently using. In the case of transferring data from Touchscreen to a PC, you are using a local device (PC) and UPLOADING data to the remote device (Touchscreen).

Similarly, when I hit "Submit Reply" on this post, I will be uploading the data from this PC to to the server... there is no way any of us would refer to that kind of data transfer as a "download", would we?

The only thing that really needs to change is for CIS to use standard terms of reference, and all the confusion will be eliminated.

Cheers, John

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2006
    JohnC, Feb 28, 2006
  20. Jason

Richo

That doesn't solve the problem that people still get confused between the terms and depending on your background they are different. The easiest thing is to remove the ambiguity.

All the amount of techinical correctness is meaningless if everyone is still confused.

The fact remains there is no standard for these terms.

Richo, Feb 28, 2006
Ask a Question