Energy Usage Monitor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amberelectrics, Aug 25, 2008.

1. amberelectrics

amberelectrics

There are various devices around at the moment that show a cost of energy used at any given time. A few of the utilities here in the uk are giving them to customers so they can try and be more energy efficient.

Does anyone know of a way to do a similar thing on a touch panel?

I am thinking something along the lines of using a GIU to input currrent levels, convert and display as required.

Has anyone already done this?

Thanks

Simon

amberelectrics, Aug 25, 2008
  2. amberelectrics

ICS-GS

Simon,

I recall a few threads about this, if you search the forums you should be able to find them.

Clipsal also have a stand alone product called a cent-o-meter, that from everything i have heard seems to be OK.

HTH

Grant

ICS-GS, Aug 26, 2008
  3. amberelectrics

tobex

Is it just me or did we all use less power then we didnt have computers or know anything about how it was made.

Every year I use less electricity and every year I get a larger invoice. Seems to me that the less I know the better off I am. :confused:

There is something ironic about having power consuming appliances which display and monitor electricity.

tobex, Aug 26, 2008
  4. amberelectrics

amberelectrics

I often have this sort of conversation with clients. Especially when they decide it is a must to have 20 50w downlights in a kitchen, yes I have had that request.

It is somewhat ironic that I am using a heavy power usage piece of kit to enquire about energy saving. Perhaps we should all agree to not use the computer anymore and just regularly walk to a meeting point to chat about the usages of cbus, if only we could connect to programme it.

Ho Hum.

I think I shall swipe the clamp meter off one of the various units already on the market and wire it the GIU. Once I have it scaled it will be easy to manipulate and store the data however I choose.

Cheers

Simon

amberelectrics, Aug 26, 2008
  5. amberelectrics

PSC

PSC, Aug 26, 2008
  6. amberelectrics

tobex

I had several architects who presented to locations on a Vespa. Needless to say that they were very concerned about small problems and unaware of larger ones.

"So you want to put the pool pump in the same room as the C-bus under the house. Ok ... how do you explain the water damage to the insurance company ? The whole pool will drain into the control room if the pipes rupture."

Famous last words
    ===============
    ' Spa pipes never break '
    ' You dont need a copper floor in a shower, a good membrane will work fine'
    ' Shut up and do your job, a half-inch water feed to the top floor is just fine'
    ' Why do I need to move the lights in the garage, they are always above the panel door '
    ' You dont need C-bus in a 4 storey house'
    ' Why do I need a control line out to the pool'
    ' Dont be stupid, why would I want illuminated markers on the driveway when the garage is only 6m from the road'

Sigh ... all of these scenarios played out with the most dire consequences.

Needless to say that C-Bus installers invariably mop the mess created by a lot of people who never think.

tobex, Aug 27, 2008
Ask a Question