Energy controllers & Harmonics

Discussion in 'Energy Management' started by NorthUK_CBUS_Sales_Eng, Jun 4, 2007.

1. NorthUK_CBUS_Sales_Eng

NorthUK_CBUS_Sales_Eng

Hi,

I have had some feedback that suggests that the energy controller (although lowers voltage and saves energy) creates some serious harmonics and has a negative effect on the THD.

Has anyone else had these problems?

NorthUK_CBUS_Sales_Eng, Jun 4, 2007
  2. NorthUK_CBUS_Sales_Eng

JohnC

Our company has quite extensive experience with the Energy Controllers and have not had any particular problem with THD etc on sites.

I have a copy of an independant test on a similar product that uses the same "insides" as the Clipsal units. Note this info is only for a 2400VA model loaded with about 50 x 36W fluorescent tubes...

The tested THD from the Energy Controller was 14.2%, which is higher than when it's not in circuit (10.5%) but not that much worse than a cheaper model Philips electronic ballast with 12.6% THD.

I cannot advise whether these results are typical of all models of Energy Controller, so I just provide them for background info about these kinds of (Autotransformer) devices.

It must be said that such devices are not a "perfect solution", and for optimum energy efficiency and reliability it is far better to replace all ballasts or luminaires with more energy-efficient technology. But where ever this is not economically viable, the Autotransformer devices can provide reasonable (25-30%) power savings - but the limitations of such units must also be understood and considered accordingly.

I hope that helps a little, John

JohnC, Jun 13, 2007
Ask a Question