Electrical Switchboard to House CBus

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by trucker01, Jan 21, 2014.

1. trucker01

trucker01

trucker01, Jan 21, 2014
  2. trucker01

daniel C-Busser Moderator

If it complies with the DIN rail standard it should be fine. You can always check the measurements or question the vendor.

It's worth mentioning that the C-Bus PCIs do need about 5cm clearance from their face (or about 11cm from the rail itself) if you should happen to want a USB/serial cable to be left plugged in permanently.

daniel, Jan 22, 2014
  3. trucker01

trucker01

Cheers

ill probably order that one.

Your other point about the USB/Serial interface devices is something I wanted to know as well.

There are the following devices

Wiser
    5500 paca
    5500 CN2 (ethernet to cbus bridge)

If I buy a wiser does that subsume the other two ? Eg is it worth buying the other two?

I guess the question is can the wiser do the logic controller tasks and the network bridge functions of the CN2?

trucker01, Jan 22, 2014
  4. trucker01

rhamer

Be a little careful, as some sellers advertising these boards as 36 pole are actually 45 pole and significantly wider.

I found out the hard way when I bought a board advertised as 36 pole to fit against an existing one and they sent the bigger 45 pole and refused to take it back.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jan 22, 2014
  5. trucker01

trucker01

I think im ok with that as this is a new install on a wall with nothing else. They do have the dimensions and i wondered if it was wide enough actually.

trucker01, Jan 22, 2014
  6. trucker01

bmerrick

Hi Stew,

If you are going to buy a Wiser, or are going to wait a while (no time frame announced) and buy the Wiser 2, you can be happy that it will perform both the logic controller tasks and act as a C-Bus network interface (CNI) as well making the other units unnecessary unless you want them as well.

There are a few caveats though, (and my list is non-exhaustive and the devs/other guys will probably jump in to fill in the gaps :D )

1. If you choose a Wiser 1, you can use the co-packaged CNI2 for C-Bus Toolkit access to the C-Bus network to configure etc, but when you are using it for that task, the Wiser will not be able to talk to the C-Bus network at the same time, and will go into 'Transparent Mode' until the CNI is released/again available. This is resolved in the upcoming Wiser 2 as its specs note that it has 2 x CNIs.

2. The Wiser has similar to PAC like functionality, but there is a table in the Toolkit or PICED help file listed as 'Unit Differences' and also a sub-table listed as 'Software Limits' that states a few small anomalies/differences between the PAC and the WISER various modes and codes.

Some of the differences noted in the table are a lack of power meter, TCP/IP port and email support in the PAC, and Media Transport Control application, used by the multi-room audio system, is listed as not being supported in the Wiser. Some of the differences noted in the table may have been removed recently by firmware upgrades to either unit (and the help file may not be 100%), so read the PICED release notes which note additions/changes.

3. I think many installers might say the PAC is more robust for 'mission critical ' commercial scheduling and logic, but having a great fondness for the Wiser myself, I note that my home production Wiser unit hasn't really been down that I can remember, apart from when I upgrade the project from time to time and reboot.

Hope this helps you form an opinion,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    bmerrick, Jan 22, 2014
  7. trucker01

trucker01

Cheers

Sounds like i should wait for the wiser 2 (which was the plan if the wiser did everything the other devices do)

So only thing I have left to get (other than the wiser) is the wireless to wired bridge (so my downstairs devices can interface).

I can borrow a 5500CNI2 from a mate to do some programming in the mean time.

trucker01, Jan 22, 2014
Ask a Question