Eight Channel Dimmer 5508D1A Dead on 1st Generation (Light Blue) Modules System

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by noberry, Mar 6, 2020.

1. noberry

noberry

Hi Guys,
    I have a C-Bus Automation system controlling my home that I installed and programmed myself 21 years ago.
    This was programmed using Windows95 through a 5510PC Interface module. The software and programming was backed up on 31/4 in floppy disks. The whole system has worked wonderfully well for over 20 years with only very minor hickups.
    System has 3x5508D1A, 8 Channel Dimmer modules and 1x5512RVF, 12 Channel VF Relay module and various key input switches, 2x 5510PS power Supply modules in parellel.
    Recently one of the 8 Channel Dimmer modules died:(, no lights, all channels inoperative, C-Bus and mains voltage present.
    Questions:
    1) I believe my existing 5510PC module needs to be replaced with a later model PC Interface module and programming cable to connect to my computer via a USB2 slot, if this is correct could someone please give me the model numbers of the above mentioned parts.
    2) I am also having trouble extracting and converting my original old program and incerting it into C-Bus Ver2 program or ToolBox. Is this what needs to be done? If so I can search how this is to be done.
    3) Can the old 8 Channel module be replaced with a new C-Bus2 L5508DSI series module that I have obtained.
    4) Until I sort out the problems in Questions 1 and 2, can I remove the old 8 cahnnel module and replace it with the module in Question 3), connect it up and toggle the outputs using the on board Local Overide Buttons?:confused:
    I would be greatly appreciative if my questions could be answered on this forum.
    FYI i am a retired 70 year old Electrician :):(:D.
    Thanks in advance.

noberry, Mar 6, 2020
  2. noberry

Ashley

I assume you mean the 5100PC which is the original surface mount interface in the cream box?

As far as I am aware this should still work fine as an interface. Just use a USB to serial converter. Just get a good named brand one as the 5100PC is a bit fussy. If you want to upgrade you can get a 5500PC in serial or usb. They often appear on Ebay.

The database format was changed to XML many moons ago. One old version of Toolkit could convert the old format to the new, but I can't remember the version and I couldn't find it on-line. You could try tech support for this. Otherwise you will just have to rescan the network and recreate all the group names.

You realise that the L5508DSI is a DSI (Digital Serial interface) gateway and not a dimmer? You would need DSI capable lights to use this device.

Assuming you have replaced all the lighting on the old dimmer with DSI lights, sure.

I would start by installing the latest copy of Toolkit and connect up to your existing 5100PC via a USB to serial converter and see if you can scan the network.

You can certainly just replace the V1 dimmer with a V2 dimmer directly. Toolkit has a replace unit option that will copy the configuration directly for you.

Ashley, Mar 6, 2020
  3. noberry

chromus

When buying a USB<>rs232 cable DONT cheap out, you need a cable with a Genuine FTDI chipset in it otherwise you will end up with limited or no connectivity.

Windows10 has been specifically coded to give the knockoff chips a hard time.

The good news is, Jaycar, Altronics and Officeworks all have genuine cables on the shelf for about $45.

Side note: if u want a USB unit for the future, eBay has a bunch of the used USB units atm.

chromus, Mar 6, 2020
  4. noberry

noberry

Thanks Ashley and chromus,
    Would any of you, please be able to give me a part no or an exact description of the interface USB cable between my existing 5100PC interface module and my laptop that you recommend , I would prefer to go to JB Hifi preferably.
    Thanks again for all the help.

noberry, Mar 9, 2020
  5. noberry

chromus

6. noberry

Matthew

The equivalent part you want to replace your dimmer is L5508D1A. As Ashley mentioned L5508DSI is for DSI control so completely different and requires much rewiring and new DSI drivers.
    yes, if you use a L5508D1A.
    Happy to help, if you have the old power supplies (5100PS in the 4CC4 type enclosure) you are getting good mileage out of them as most of them seem to have failed. There is a known issue / incompatibility with these old power supplies and some of the newer/current (CBUS2) modules, but I don't recall which ones at the moment. Maybe the 5500PCI?.
    FYI the 5100xx part numbers are the old enclosed box type, the 5500xx part numbers are the current DIN rail mount versions. Also L5508D1A is a dimmer WITH a power supply inside, L5508D1AP same dimmer but NO power supply.

Matthew, Mar 25, 2020
Ask a Question