eDLT , wiser 2, shutter scenes faults

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Ivan E&I, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Ivan E&I

Ivan E&I

Hello masters

I have a Project / Customer......that is !! to say the lease ......is doing my head in.

11 - eDLT ZEN - 2015 models
    1 - wiser 2
    22 - shutter relays
    1 - 12ch relay
    1 - 4 ch uni dimmer
    13 - 0-10V analog dimmers
    4 - Power supply

------

Shutter control in eDLT button works great, for one shutter relay.

One press of left side of button blind down, press left again to stop, press left again to keep going, the same for the other direction, press right side up, press again stop, press right again up.... simple for laymen.

The customer wants to use a main entry eDLT to control lots of scenes, remote trigger - but I now need 3 scenes per control of the shutter in that scene of X number of shutters relays , will quickly run of room eDLT to do it locally and the operation is not the same as - simple for laymen.

Control X number "shutters relays" on "one" eDLT button -

I spent time trying different ways looking over forums here and trying options , contacting the support and got more idea's to get it to work like the individual shutter control -

This was by "area" selected on the shutter unit menu, pointed it to a dummy group called "boring" set the scene editor in wiser to "scene components tab" application : "lighting", "scene trigger tab" application : "lighting", group address "boring" in the eDLT menu widget: shutter, application: lighting, group: "boring" key function: "2 key with preset" left slider as far as can go, right slider far as can go.

This worked great ....happy happy joy joy .... ok ..... Until a day or so later customer calls

- they become out of sync by either quick stop start, on the scene button that controls the scene or separate individual shutter press from another switch.

- the opposite direction to the rest, or it would drop one shutter once restarted going one way, after being stopped but then drop a different one when all going the other way!

I found if a long press was used, it would clear the out of sync, but the operation was not reliable! different user could mess it up!

... but it's not reliable :mad:

sorry for the long winded explanation

Is there anyone able to offer some input?, to make it more reliable to stop the different shutter from going out of sync? and keep the operation all the same as a normal shutter control...

I had thought maybe logic pascal ?

Ivan E&I, Nov 3, 2016
  2. Ivan E&I

Ashley

Simply put, if you want to control multiple shutters from a single switch you cannot use any of the shutter toggle functions. You can use the Open, Close and Stop functions only, or set them to a specific position. Whoever designed the shutter relay just didn't think it through and we are stuck with it.

I implement multiple shutter operation using a single switch with long press set to toggle and short release to 2% (stop). That way a long press toggles between open and closed, and a short press to stop them. Unfortunately I don't think you can do this directly on an eDLT because they don't implement user selectable micro functions but I am not that familiar with eDLT's so someone else may be able to help there.

You could write logic to convert the eDLT button presses into shutter open/close and stop commands though.

Ashley, Nov 3, 2016
  3. Ivan E&I

NickD Moderator

I admit that the functionality is not perfect in hindsight, but can you elaborate on what you would like it to do, from the point of view of supporting multi-blind control?

Nick

NickD, Nov 4, 2016
  4. Ivan E&I

Ivan E&I

eDLT short commings rant

Thanks for you return input ....Masters

WHY are we stuck with it? this has got me in a rant

don't clipsal want to continue to tweak their hardware flexibility !!!:confused:

To pick up on when the installer can see is a bug, offer solution to something thats going to be around for a while - shutters?

shutter relays - firmware updates, or are the shutter relays un update able via the network?

eDLT wow......... what a complete let down - sorry but design sexy - but why drop all the controls and limit it to small memory of 8 scenes? - really ? firmware via micro USB whats wrong with the cbus network!

Sorry I know this is not constructive.

eDLT - needs widget add "remote scene type", i.e. "shutter scene" point to wiser or touch......to work like shutter relay but in a scene of x amount of shutter relays? to work like normal shutter

Is there a email to write to the cbus programmers - I have a list, is it they don't have practical hands on experience? or is it just code they see?

Ok enough .... clipsal/cbus should listen to the shutter bug

Ivan E&I, Nov 4, 2016
  5. Ivan E&I

Ivan E&I

shutters control in scene

Thanks Nick

I'd like to offer the customer a same feel operation for all shutter controls! to work the same! As individual shutter control

a group of shutters to go up, stop, go up again or press other side of button go down stop etc!

At the moment I have it all working like this - all go one way long press, short press STOP, press again it goes the opposite way, STOP press again to continue the way it was going before.

which is different to individual shutter control from a eDLT.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2016
    Ivan E&I, Nov 4, 2016
  6. Ivan E&I

Ivan E&I

eDLT logic button control

Thanks Ashley

How hard is it for cbus programmers to offer a editing option to eDLT because they don't implement user selectable micro functions .

You mentioned

You could write logic to convert the eDLT button presses into shutter open/close and stop commands though.

could you break down the logic of access, or someone else to point me to eDLT page number , button number, button left and right in logic ? such a long way around a problem I could image people would want?

same feel shutter scene control the same as normal individual shutter control.

does anyone have input on this??

Ivan E&I, Nov 4, 2016
  7. Ivan E&I

Ashley

Just do the toggling yourself in logic. Set the eDLT buttons to Off/Preset 1 with preset 1 at 100%. You can then test for OFF and ON in logic to know which button is pressed, then set the group back to 50%.

Create a variable holds the last direction (i.e. open, close, open stop or close stop). When a button is pressed, figure out which way you need to go then send an open, close or stop command to all the blinds using a scene or two (or three).

Ashley, Nov 4, 2016
  8. Ivan E&I

Ivan E&I

thanks Ashley

I know you understand everything you just wrote to me just now!

but I do not know logic or pretend to even know, thanks for you responses you rock!

I'm going back to site in the morning to make some progress & make more note on why the cbus is doing my head in, that I cannot work out!

I will end up paying a pascal programmer to do it for me so I don't go crazy trying t o get a happy customer whos paid 30K +

Thanks again Ashley

Ivan E&I, Nov 4, 2016
  9. Ivan E&I

Roosta

No offence intended Ivan, but i think you would be doing your customer an injustice if you were not to get in somewho knows what they are doing..

People pay alot of money for these systems to only have them done to a basic level, by 'laymens' as you call them..

Its one of the things that infuriate me the most about the systems, CBUS, in particular.. Anyone canget there hands onn the products and the software and thinnk they are now an automation expert after a bit of a play around..

Now that is off my mind..

Another way to achieve what you want is a phantom cbus group address, activating 3 stored scenes in a touchscreen/wiser/pac.. Assigned the phantom into the appropriate switch, as shutter control.. Then set the scene triggers to the appropriate levels of what the scenes do, ie, down, stop, up, and put all the actual shutter groups into the scenes to the right levels.. Voila job done..

Cheers..

Roosta, Nov 4, 2016
  10. Ivan E&I

Ivan E&I

No offense taken...... I under stand your point

The operation to control the scene of shutters is easy with 3 scenes, this is not what the customer or what I'm looking for.

I want to control a group of shutter like a individual shutter control on a eDLT, as to have the same control through out the site.

Looks like logic is the only way

Ivan E&I, Nov 4, 2016
  11. Ivan E&I

Roosta

I am a bit confused on what exactly you are trying to achieve.. Do you mean directional control of a group like a eDLT, ie, left button doing down-stop-down and right button doing up-stop-up? but on a normal switch?

Roosta, Nov 5, 2016
  12. Ivan E&I

jonnyp64

did you sort out this problem?

jonnyp64, Dec 18, 2016
Ask a Question