eDLT Screen Orientation

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by JasonY00, Aug 6, 2020.

1. JasonY00

JasonY00

Quick and maybe dumb question...

Can I change the screen orientation on a eDLT?

ie. rotate 180 degrees to have buttons on the left instead of the right. Useful for left/right hand sides of a bed as I like symmetry and I’m left handed so when I press a button my arm covers the screen...

Yes, I have a right arm and I can use it, but I already have to use scissors with my right hand and I would like the world to change for me for once.

IF “answer is no” THEN

GOTO “ask NickD for feature request”;

END

Sorry about the syntax errors. Please do not correct my pseudo code.

Thanks

Jason

JasonY00, Aug 6, 2020
  2. JasonY00

Conformist

Hi Jason

This feature is not supported. I don't think that it will be implemented either given I think there's quite a bit involved with doing it. It's not just the labels that would need to be reversed and turned upside down. The buttons would need to operate in the opposite direction (up/down) and the page navigation would need to be moved and reversed. And then, the C-Bus connection would be on the bottom of the unit and the mounting bracket would need to be installed upside down (I guess the mounting bracket isn't a big deal). There's probably other things I've missed too..

Conformist, Aug 6, 2020
  3. JasonY00

JasonY00

Thanks for the reply

I think, however, that a firmware change to facilitate a 180 degree screen rotation and corresponding button reversal in the firmware (5->1 instead of 1->5 and L<->R) shouldn't be too difficult (depending on memory space and processing power capacity). Even booting in linux you just code "rotate 180" into the config file and the screen rotates. Many small LCD screens like these are designed with this in mind given that they are used in so many differing devices.

Rotating the hardware bracket upside down and having the c-bus connector on the bottom doesn't make a difference in a wall box or plaster board bracket.

It probably won't happen, but when you design a asymmetric device such as this, an orientation option for greater use case flexibility is always nice.

Now is the time to ask given that NickD has indicated that a firmware update is in the pipeline for the eDLT's...

Cheers and thanks for the list of things for NickD to think about. :)

Jason

JasonY00, Aug 6, 2020
  4. JasonY00

chromus

@NickD add this to ur firmware update requests please.

I can’t see an major reason why it cudnt be done as it’s merely a few lines of code for display orientation in most cases.

chromus, Aug 7, 2020
  5. JasonY00

JasonY00

Thanks for the reply Nick.

Given that the eDLT is now the frontline stand alone wall mounted hardware graphical user interface offering for most new installs (besides the Ethernet screen which requires other hardware or B&W Mk 2 *), any little improvement in aesthetics and usability such as this just makes it even more attractive to the end user.

Although orientation may seem trivial to the installer, any little option like “would you like the buttons on the left or the right” makes the end user feel empowered. Ask the marketing department...

It also means that whichever side of a room entry or bed the switch is on, the buttons can always be closest to the entry or bedside.

In the case of media control, If mounted horizontally with buttons on the bottom, the switch could mimic the retro style tape recorder layout of “rewind, pause, stop, play, fast forward”. (Hint: Will need icons for this in the eDLT firmware). Perhaps I am showing my age now...

Cheers and thanks again for considering...

Cheers

Jason

* I didn’t forget Wiser here, but the GUI is is not a Clipsal “hardware” product.

JasonY00, Aug 7, 2020
  6. JasonY00

Ashley

It's Ok Nick, some of us understand. :)

Ashley, Aug 7, 2020
    JasonY00 likes this.
  7. JasonY00

chromus

clearly either you guys aren’t as experienced with the screen controllers as some of us, or u went out of ur way to use a custom controller?

On almost all screen hardware controllers there is a few bytes of code to say which way is up.

I can understand touch screens where u also have to tell the touch which way is up could be a mission as it requires a 2nd calibration table in a lot of cases

chromus, Aug 7, 2020
  8. JasonY00

JasonY00

I never want to trivialise what is required to make “seemingly” simple display interface changes. I understand that due to hardware limitations that there are cases where this is impossible or requires substantial firmware rewrites because a feature is not originally planned for.

So yes, as an engineer, I appreciate what may be involved. But, if it’s an option, I would be grateful if it could be included in a future firmware release. Some tasks I have been given to complete that I initially thought unachievable or would require significant work ended up being trivial and of course the opposite was also true. Hopefully this option falls into the former category.

Cheers

Jason

JasonY00, Aug 8, 2020
  9. JasonY00

NickD Moderator

Hi Guys,

I appreciate all ideas, and I don't want to discourage them being put forward.

In this case Conformist is probably right (it happens occasionally).. even trivial changes take time and cost money. Flipping the screen might be trivial. Swapping the buttons maybe not too hard, but I'd have to investigate. Then there's a change to the configuration software and/or Tools page to actually let you configure the option... and so on.

I've added it to the backlog as a suggestion, but don't get your hopes up...

Nick

NickD, Aug 10, 2020
    Conformist likes this.
  10. JasonY00

JasonY00

No worries Nick,

All my feedback is always intended to be constructive and I am also pragmatic about whether it can be done or not. Just saying, if it isn't a big deal (which in this case, I think you will agree it isn't really) the more versatile these things are, then all the better for it. When you win over the installers, they win over the customers for you.

As always, I appreciate your response.

Cheers

Jason

JasonY00, Aug 10, 2020
  11. JasonY00

msniper

Screen orientation would be fantastic!

msniper, Jan 6, 2021
Ask a Question