eDLT not going back on after proximity sensor switches off

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by noor, Mar 25, 2019.

1. noor

noor

Hi,

After a lightning strike, the eDLT powers on and then after the proximity sensor switches it off, it will not power up after that

noor, Mar 25, 2019
  2. noor

NickD Moderator

The proximity sensor only ever "wakes up" the unit... it doesn't really switch it off.. the display/backlight just times out after a period of inactivity.

When it powers up it's in "active" mode and it will then time out, the same way is it would after it's woken up by a proximity event.

It sounds like either the proximity sensor has been damaged (it uses a charge transfer sensing technique so I suppose it's possible it could be damaged by the high electric fields that might be present in a lightning event), or maybe the EEPROM has been corrupted...

Does it wake up if you press a key? Can you try reprogramming it?

Nick

NickD, Mar 25, 2019
  3. noor

noor

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your reply. I have done some testing and this is what I have discovered.
    When i power up the unit and run a netwrok scan immediatly on powering up, I can see the unit in the network scan. But after a few seconds, the eDLT display goes dead. Pressing any of the buttons does nothing to the unit. When i then try to open and edit the eDLT via Toolkit, it does not respond. When i rescan the network a second time, the eDLT does not show. When i unplug and replug the eDLT in again, the same cycle above happens.

Thanks
    Noor

noor, Mar 26, 2019
  4. noor

NickD Moderator

It does sound like it has failed in some way but not in any way I've seen before....

When you first plug in the eDLT does it power up ok? Do you see text on the screen?

Nick

NickD, Mar 27, 2019
  5. noor

noor

Hi Nick,

Yes it powers up and then displays the buttons. 20 seconds later just goes dead and unresponsive. then also dissapears of the network when i scan it. Very strange indeed.

noor, Mar 27, 2019
  6. noor

NickD Moderator

It sounds like maybe something in the power supply, or maybe corrupted memory.

Sadly it also doesn't seem like it's going to be something you can fix.

Nick

NickD, Mar 27, 2019
  7. noor

noor

Thank you Nick. I appreciate the effort.

Regrds
    N

noor, Mar 29, 2019
  8. noor

eha002

just as a point of testing if you sit there rolling pages after starting it up, does it stay working until it hits standby? or stops on its own? and can you control lights from it?

If it stays active try disabling the standby page.

eha002, Apr 10, 2019
Ask a Question